Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 6:27 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Walmart employees on strike
This is kinda a big deal. Walmart has a history of being extremely anti-union, but they also have a history of treating their employees really shitty, so the conflict was kinda inevitable. This doesn't seem to be limited to just right-to-work states, either; one of the locations mentioned for the walk off was Dallas and I know Texas isn't right to work (Orlando was another and I strongly suspect they aren't right to work, either).

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/10/09...de=1621065
I live on facebook. Come see me there. http://www.facebook.com/tara.rizzatto

"If you cling to something as the absolute truth and you are caught in it, when the truth comes in person to knock on your door you will refuse to let it in." ~ Siddhartha Gautama
Might be an interesting time to visit Bentonville and see how it all goes down... Guess my mom is going to be busy this week... Wish all the striking workers the best, but when the butchers struck and started a union, Wal*Mart simply stopped processing their meat in-house...
RE: Walmart employees on strike
A friend of mine once went on strike with her co-workers at walmart and they just got fired and replaced.
Live every day as if already dead, that way you're not disappointed when you are. Big Grin
(October 10, 2012 at 3:56 pm)TaraJo Wrote: This is kinda a big deal. Walmart has a history of being extremely anti-union, but they also have a history of treating their employees really shitty, so the conflict was kinda inevitable. This doesn't seem to be limited to just right-to-work states, either; one of the locations mentioned for the walk off was Dallas and I know Texas isn't right to work (Orlando was another and I strongly suspect they aren't right to work, either).

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/10/09...de=1621065

Good for them. And while those employees are on top of it, I doubt social media or cell phones can stop the message reaching all the sweat shops in asia they by from.
(October 10, 2012 at 4:30 pm)festive1 Wrote: Might be an interesting time to visit Bentonville and see how it all goes down... Guess my mom is going to be busy this week... Wish all the striking workers the best, but when the butchers struck and started a union, Wal*Mart simply stopped processing their meat in-house...

You're probably right. However, if they get the media involved in this, it could easily play to their advantage, especially if this had happened a couple of months ago; might have a significant impact on the election.

"If you cling to something as the absolute truth and you are caught in it, when the truth comes in person to knock on your door you will refuse to let it in." ~ Siddhartha Gautama
So right now's the best chance I have to get hired at walmart? Tongue
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day
(October 10, 2012 at 4:47 pm)Violet Lilly Blossom Wrote: So right now's the best chance I have to get hired at walmart? Tongue

Actually, yeah, but right now most of their hiring is going to be seasonal anyway and you'll quickly find yourself unemployed again in January. Plus, they won't give you more than 35 hrs a week (or you won't be paid for more than 35 hrs a week) and therefore won't qualify for any benefits outside of a possible 10% Walmart discount card.

(October 10, 2012 at 4:40 pm)JohnDG Wrote: A friend of mine once went on strike with her co-workers at walmart and they just got fired and replaced.

Because Wal Mart wants the same slave wages as Mitt Romney does. He took a visit to a Chinese sweat shop and "admired" their work ethic of 16 hour days 6 days a week, for 2 bucks a day and claimed they wanted to be there.

Yes, out of desperation Mitt! No one wants to be a slave, and Mitt advocates the same race to the bottom Wal Mart does.

GO WAL MART STRIKERS! FUCK CORPORATE BULLYING AND CORPORATE BLACKMAIL
(October 10, 2012 at 5:03 pm)Brian37 Wrote:
(October 10, 2012 at 4:40 pm)JohnDG Wrote: A friend of mine once went on strike with her co-workers at walmart and they just got fired and replaced.

Because Wal Mart wants the same slave wages as Mitt Romney does. He took a visit to a Chinese sweat shop and "admired" their work ethic of 16 hour days 6 days a week, for 2 bucks a day and claimed they wanted to be there.

Yes, out of desperation Mitt! No one wants to be a slave, and Mitt advocates the same race to the bottom Wal Mart does.

GO WAL MART STRIKERS! FUCK CORPORATE BULLYING AND CORPORATE BLACKMAIL

Once again, it doesn't matter, our society has been trained not to stand up for its self. Those strike won't matter, and after a week people will lose interest and go back to not caring.

Home of the brave, land of the free.
Live every day as if already dead, that way you're not disappointed when you are. Big Grin
(October 10, 2012 at 4:52 pm)TaraJo Wrote:
(October 10, 2012 at 4:47 pm)Violet Lilly Blossom Wrote: So right now's the best chance I have to get hired at walmart? Tongue

Actually, yeah, but right now most of their hiring is going to be seasonal anyway and you'll quickly find yourself unemployed again in January. Plus, they won't give you more than 35 hrs a week (or you won't be paid for more than 35 hrs a week) and therefore won't qualify for any benefits outside of a possible 10% Walmart discount card.

Because if you're earning Wal*Mart wages, the only place you can afford to shop at is... Wal*Mart.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Judges Strike A Blow For The Constitution Minimalist 3 944 September 19, 2014 at 3:24 pm
Last Post: Jackalope
  Swiss propose to limit corp. executive pay to 12x their lowest-paid employees Ryantology 10 3470 November 15, 2013 at 2:54 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  As a former union official for IRS Employees Minimalist 0 786 March 22, 2013 at 11:13 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Bath salts strike again! kılıç_mehmet 14 6079 June 7, 2012 at 3:11 am
Last Post: Autumnlicious
  UK STRIKE DAY 30TH NOVEMBER bozo 127 28657 December 2, 2011 at 5:57 am
Last Post: Tiberius