Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 6:00 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
UK STRIKE DAY 30TH NOVEMBER
UK STRIKE DAY 30TH NOVEMBER
Next Wednesday across the UK, 3 million public sector workers, myself included, will be taking part in the biggest day of strike action for decades against plans by the right wing Tory/Liberal coalition to slash our pension rights. They want to have the public sector workers pay more, work longer and get less at the end of their working lives.
We fight to protect our pension rights and we call on those in the private sector, 2/3 of whom who don't have occupational pensions to support us and join the strugle.
AN EQUALITY OF MISERY IS NO ANSWER.

You can show support by buying this specially produced single to mark the event-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOLCSCArDRE
HuhA man is born to a virgin mother, lives, dies, comes alive again and then disappears into the clouds to become his Dad. How likely is that?
RE: UK STRIKE DAY 30TH NOVEMBER
I'm there! And I'm just a humble centre left student!
This could have been avoided if George Osborne hadn't repealed bankers bonus tax.
I shall be striking and informed my line manager of the fact.

My kids are all home coz the schools are on strike too.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

See, this is why the private sector is better. The solution isn't to strike; you are striking against a government which has a massive amount of debt, and is thus unable to do anything about your demands. The solution is to get rid of the public sector (as much as possible), and move all the jobs to the private sector, where companies actually know how to run themselves.
I'm with ya bozo. No work on the 30th. My previous wildlife work place (a natural wildlife reserve) was forced to close and it's workers, those who maintain it, all lost their jobs. All thanks to the stupid government. Bastards.

I'm with ya.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence - Carl Sagan

Mankind's intelligence walks hand in hand with it's stupidity.

Being an atheist says nothing about your overall intelligence, it just means you don't believe in god. Atheists can be as bright as any scientist and as stupid as any creationist.

You never really know just how stupid someone is, until you've argued with them.
(November 22, 2011 at 4:10 pm)Tiberius Wrote: See, this is why the private sector is better. The solution isn't to strike; you are striking against a government which has a massive amount of debt, and is thus unable to do anything about your demands. The solution is to get rid of the public sector (as much as possible), and move all the jobs to the private sector, where companies actually know how to run themselves.

ROFLOL

My father spent his whole working life in the private sector and went on strike on many occasions.

It is the only recourse when your employer is acting unreasonably and this government is acting like tyranical bullies, trying to force a triple whammy on its staff, making us contribute more, for longer, for less and only paying lip service to negotiation at the very last minute.

The private sector is very much NOT the solution to any of the problems this country faces with its infrastructure.

With private companies not only do you have to pay for the work, materials and sundries, you also have to pay off shareholders this means that you have to skimp somewhere, or as we've discovered with the private companies who work for the mod, everything that used to just be done by the in house team is suddenly an 'extra' that you have to pay through the nose for. This crops up so often that it is beyond a joke, these extras cost many thousands of pounds even in small establishments.

(November 22, 2011 at 4:10 pm)Tiberius Wrote: See, this is why the private sector is better. The solution isn't to strike; you are striking against a government which has a massive amount of debt, and is thus unable to do anything about your demands. The solution is to get rid of the public sector (as much as possible), and move all the jobs to the private sector, where companies actually know how to run themselves.

So you're saying that there is no possible way to stop pensions, the ones that were agreed to via a legally binding contract at start of employment, from getting cut? There are no other options at all? You really think that?

Sure is funny how liberals & conservatives are quick to throw out contract law when they think the end result benefits them.
"How is it that a lame man does not annoy us while a lame mind does? Because a lame man recognizes that we are walking straight, while a lame mind says that it is we who are limping." - Pascal
No. It's just that in order to stop the cuts, they'd have to either reduce spending somewhere, or increase taxes somewhere. Nobody wants a tax increase, and nobody seems to want the reduction of spending anywhere either.

If I were in charge, I'd end the wars, slash the military budget, and have the current military as a defensive measure rather than an attacking force. Then I'd use the money saved to stabilise what needs stabilising. The current government won't do that, because they are a bunch of authoritarians who like policing the world.
(November 22, 2011 at 4:49 pm)Tiberius Wrote: If I were in charge, I'd end the wars, slash the military budget, and have the current military as a defensive measure rather than an attacking force.

That's actually what I was thinking too.

"How is it that a lame man does not annoy us while a lame mind does? Because a lame man recognizes that we are walking straight, while a lame mind says that it is we who are limping." - Pascal
We are having massive cuts. We have a two year pay freeze and are being asked to contribute from our wages, this contribution wont go into pension funds but will be used to pay government debt, a tax on being a civil servant if you will.

So at a time of high inflation we are expected to bend over and accept an effective pay cut with the prospect that this wont even enhance our pensions but to expect less later in life.

No this government are acting like US republicans. Saying this is our position and negotiations are not possible.

YOU HAVE TO STAND UP TO BULLIES OR THEY WILL KEEP ON.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Post November onlinebiker 21 1299 July 22, 2022 at 4:42 pm
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  Paris Climate Accords go into effect November 4th! Jehanne 11 1576 October 16, 2016 at 1:11 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  Judges Strike A Blow For The Constitution Minimalist 3 944 September 19, 2014 at 3:24 pm
Last Post: Jackalope
  Walmart employees on strike TaraJo 22 6004 October 10, 2012 at 10:14 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Bath salts strike again! kılıç_mehmet 14 6081 June 7, 2012 at 3:11 am
Last Post: Autumnlicious