Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 4:16 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Questions about God and Science
Questions about God and Science
I'd like to ask a question. Not challenge, but question.

Scientists believe in all manner of entities that cannot be directly perceived: protons, electrons, quarks, bosons, black holes, nuclear forces, etc. They believe in these things because they help them understand natural phenomenon which they do perceive. Correct?

But God isn't one of those things that scientists can believe in because... why?

Is it that God doesn't help them understand anything that they're perceiving? What are the respective intellectual advantages and disadvantages of believing in things like protons versus believing in god, or gods or intelligent design or a universal intelligence or something like that?

I've tried to find good essays on this on the internet, but I've been unsuccessful. If someone can point me to good references that clearly answer these questions, that would also be helpful.

Thank you.
Hare Krishna Hare Krishna Krishna Krishna Hare Hare
Hare Rama Hare Rama Rama Rama Hare Hare
RE: Questions about God and Science
The material things you mentioned have evidence for them. "GOD" doesn't.
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it" ~ Aristotle
I was under the impression that Hare Krishnas were disinterested in material things. Undecided Did I get this wrong?
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
It doesn't make sense to assume an inner-working of physics is somehow a god or otherworldly in any way.
[Image: SigBarSping_zpscd7e35e1.png]
(October 11, 2012 at 8:42 am)Akincana Krishna dasa Wrote: I'd like to ask a question. Not challenge, but question.

Scientists believe in all manner of entities that cannot be directly perceived: protons, electrons, quarks, bosons, black holes, nuclear forces, etc. They believe in these things because they help them understand natural phenomenon which they do perceive. Correct?

But God isn't one of those things that scientists can believe in because... why?

Is it that God doesn't help them understand anything that they're perceiving? What are the respective intellectual advantages and disadvantages of believing in things like protons versus believing in god, or gods or intelligent design or a universal intelligence or something like that?

I've tried to find good essays on this on the internet, but I've been unsuccessful. If someone can point me to good references that clearly answer these questions, that would also be helpful.

Thank you.

Why are you so focused on an imperceptible god existing, why not focus on an imperceptible god not existing? Fair is fair, right?
ROFLOL

Tell me, what exactly tickles your fancy about god that actually has anything to do with something less trivial that your wishes and fears?
(October 11, 2012 at 8:42 am)Akincana Krishna dasa Wrote: Scientists believe in all manner of entities that cannot be directly perceived

It is not a matter of belief. The dividing line between faith and knowledge is hard and fast.

"all manner of entities that cannot be directly perceived"? I do not think you meant to generalise so slothfully, and your choice of words suggests that scientists deliberately and exclusively seek to analyse things that you have categorised as difficult to perceive. But it should be obvious to you that science is not selective.

The only reason why these intricate and complex things (advanced chemistry, physics) seem so intricate and complex, is because they seem so to us. Just because our mammalian equipment cannot yet master certain things naturally does not mean they are any less potent. Example: the human eye cannot see into the ultraviolet spectrum. The concept is thus naturally alien to us. That does not make ultraviolet light any less real to the insects and birds that perceive and harness it perfectly.

Why would a physicist study protons and electrons rather than a god? I would ask you to define a god at this point and suggest to me what sort of godly material there would be to study.
My candle burns at both ends;
It will not last the night;
But ah, my foes, and oh, my friends -
It gives a lovely light!
(October 11, 2012 at 8:42 am)Akincana Krishna dasa Wrote: Scientists believe in all manner of entities that cannot be directly perceived: protons, electrons, quarks, bosons, black holes, nuclear forces, etc. They believe in these things because they help them understand natural phenomenon which they do perceive. Correct?

Because what you call "enteties" are part of a scientific theory .
This theory was established through close observation, experiments and calculation - if these are repeated - the results observed will be the same - out of wich - a theory is born. an out of this theory one can establish understandable explainations for that fields "phenomenons"... as someone who likes to give things mysterious names might call them.

wich is by far better, than saying, god did it... so worship a singing indian dude with a strange sence of body hygiene.

(October 11, 2012 at 8:42 am)Akincana Krishna dasa Wrote: Is it that God doesn't help them understand anything that they're perceiving? What are the respective intellectual advantages and disadvantages of believing in things like protons versus believing in god, or gods or intelligent design or a universal intelligence or something like that?

ähhh belief? I explained above that these things were established through calculation and observaton.
Scientists will reject the current model if you observe something completly different.
(October 11, 2012 at 8:42 am)Akincana Krishna dasa Wrote: Scientists believe in all manner of entities that cannot be directly perceived: protons, electrons, quarks, bosons, black holes, nuclear forces, etc. They believe in these things because they help them understand natural phenomenon which they do perceive. Correct?

Not with the naked eye, but with a powerful microscope, perhaps. We cannot directly percieve some of them, but we can discern them from their effects. These effects are well documented and behave in predictable manners. The 'effects' of god simply aren't there. If god ever did something, even indirectly, in this world we would know about it unless he were deliberately hiding himself. Studies have shown that prayer doesn't work, so I don't see any 'effects of god'.

Akincana Krishna dasa Wrote:What are the respective intellectual advantages and disadvantages of believing in things like protons versus believing in god, or gods or intelligent design or a universal intelligence or something like that?

There is no disadvantage in 'believing in' protons, etc. They are proven to exist, and they fit perfectly into all of the calculations, etc. involving them. God only fits anything because he is a 'one size fits all' cop out.
John Adams Wrote:The Government of the United States of America is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion.
Simply put, God is unnecessary in making sense of the world. You don't need God to understand the universe.
My ignore list

"The lord doesn't work in mysterious ways, but in ways that are indistinguishable from his nonexistence."
-- George Yorgo Veenhuyzen quoted by John W. Loftus in The End of Christianity (p. 103).
In other words, god is exactly as if no god, but no god is vastly more plausible.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Top 5 questions against God or the Bible on science mctxegesis 26 2708 June 30, 2019 at 9:31 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Science Channel, Jupiter, and it's moon Io. Brian37 6 1300 July 9, 2018 at 4:29 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Science, the Bible and Satan Haipule 9 2381 November 16, 2017 at 11:16 am
Last Post: John V
  Curious Science Questions of Wonderment Secular Elf 30 4674 December 30, 2016 at 5:32 pm
Last Post: Jello
  Questions about Physics, Biology and perspective bennyboy 14 2682 June 23, 2016 at 5:34 am
Last Post: Alex K
  The science of joy and happiness Detective L Ryuzaki 15 3890 September 7, 2015 at 4:25 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Science and Philosophy popsthebuilder 13 2721 June 25, 2015 at 6:04 am
Last Post: Alex K
  Science and the story it tells TheBeardedDude 10 2530 October 27, 2013 at 10:24 pm
Last Post: Zazzy
  Science curriculum called fascist and atheistic little_monkey 20 5636 August 18, 2013 at 1:03 pm
Last Post: Tobie
  The Science of Why We Don’t Believe Science FifthElement 23 7744 June 25, 2013 at 10:54 am
Last Post: Rahul