Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 16, 2024, 2:59 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The science of joy and happiness
The science of joy and happiness
There are many philosophies out there on how to live a happy/joyful life. But these are nothing scientific. They know nothing about science and how the brain really works (what our mental experiences really are). As a matter of fact, these philosophies say that you can live a joyful, happy life and enjoy your life while in a depressed and/or anhedonic state. But that is just nonsense and I will tell you why.

The term "rewarding experience" is a scientific term. It is defined as being our pleasant feelings/emotions (good moods) from our reward system since our reward system is the only function of our brains that can give us a rewarding experience. If there is a scientific version of something, then a different version of it would have to be fake. For example, since we have the scientific terms sight, hearing, smell, and taste, then a philosophical/moral version of sight, hearing, smell, and taste would be fake and would not give us sight, hearing, smell, or taste.

What we have "over here" is the term "rewarding experience" which is a scientific term in the world of science. But what we have "over there" are the terms happiness, joy, pleasure, and enjoyment which are outside the realm of science and in the realm of morality/philosophy (the world of our own personal created meanings in life).

So what I am going to do now here is bring what is "over there" to "over here." We all know that joy, pleasure, and happiness are always rewarding mental experiences for us as human beings. They are always rewarding to us. If you had disrewarding pain and misery such as depression and you said that your family and goals/dreams still brought you joy and happiness, then you would be having a rewarding mental experience in despite of your disrewarding pain and misery.

But if you did not experience any pleasant feelings/emotions in despite of your depression, then it would be false of you to say that you are having joy and happiness despite your depression. So since joy and happiness are synonymous with the scientific term "rewarding experience," then joy and happiness are also scientific terms as well. They belong "over here" in the realm of science. Also, as a side note, my descriptions of "over here" and "over there" are merely descriptions to make my explanation more effective and convenient.

This also applies to love, inspiration, etc. which are also always and can only be rewarding mental experiences for us as human beings. They are also scientific terms which means the philosophical/moral version of those things are false. As a matter of fact, I think there is a scientific version of everything and that the world of morality/philosophy (the world of our own personal created meanings) is false.

There is a scientific version of a lion. If you personally define yourself as a lion, then that would be false. That would not make you a lion. There is a scientific version of the sun, there is a scientific version of helium, etc. If you personally define anything else in life as being the sun or helium, then that would be false as well. It would not make those things actual helium or the sun.

So with all of this being said, I think there is even a scientific version of good and bad. Since having good meaning in one's life is always a rewarding mental experience for us and can only be a rewarding mental experience to us, then good is also a scientific term as well. It would be a synonym for our pleasant feelings/emotions from our reward system. When, for example, your family has good meaning to you, then you are perceiving a rewarding experience towards them and towards helping them out. Even if you say that your life was nothing good and that helping them out is what matters, you are still perceiving good value and worth towards them and, thus, you are still perceiving a rewarding experience towards them.

If you had disrewarding pain and misery to win a game and earn a trophy, then the idea of the team, trophy, and the game would be rewarding to you despite your pain and misery. They would be a rewarding mental experience for you in despite of your pain and misery since they have good value and worth to you. Therefore, good also belongs in the realm of science as well. Bad also belongs in the realm of science. Bad would be a synonym for our unpleasant feelings/emotions from our limbic system.

The term "incentive" is also always and can only be a rewarding or a disrewarding experience for us as human beings. It can be disrewarding because you can have the incentive to run away from danger. It would be disrewarding since you would be experiencing an unpleasant feeling/emotion known as fear. Therefore, incentive is also a scientific term as well and our only incentive in life is either our pleasant feelings/emotions from our reward system or our unpleasant feelings/emotions from our limbic system.
RE: The science of joy and happiness
Could you reduce that to a pithy sentence or two?
I looked at the wall of text and just thought "hell no".

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

We've seen this before. I refuse to play.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
This is third time you've said basically the same thing. I reduced it to a logical tautology the first time and you didn't even comment. Science makes models and predictions; it doesn't assign subjective values such as "meaning" to things. That is the realm of philosophy.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
(September 7, 2015 at 1:43 pm)robvalue Wrote: This is third time you've said basically the same thing. I reduced it to a logical tautology the first time and you didn't even comment. Science makes models and predictions; it doesn't assign subjective values such as "meaning" to things. That is the realm of philosophy.

Stephen Hawking has said that philosophy is dead (fake).  Science is what defines this entire universe and everything in it including our own mental experiences and our brains.  My theory also states that philosophy is dead as well.  I explained before how there is a scientific version of everything.  There is a scientific version of a lion.  If you personally define yourself as a lion, then that would be false.  All personal created meanings in our lives including good and bad are all metaphorical meanings.  They are not realistic.

Here is the link to where Stephen Hawking has said this:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/google/8520033/Stephen-Hawking-tells-Google-philosophy-is-dead.html
(September 7, 2015 at 11:30 am)Detective L Ryuzaki Wrote:

Detective, my detective work has shown you are spamming this stuff all over the web. Is there a reason for this?
Nolite te bastardes carborundorum.
(September 7, 2015 at 2:11 pm)rexbeccarox Wrote:
(September 7, 2015 at 11:30 am)Detective L Ryuzaki Wrote:

Detective, my detective work has shown you are spamming this stuff all over the web. Is there a reason for this?

There is a reason for this.  Read my whole debate here:

{snip}

Moderator Notice
Please read the rules, especially the 30/30 rule. Please don't post your links until you've been a member for thirty days and contributed 30 posts.
So... you're going to reply to a staff member with a link, which is against the rules for you right now, to another forum that you spammed? Why don't you try just answering the question: why are you spamming this at every forum you can find?
(September 7, 2015 at 2:41 pm)rexbeccarox Wrote: So... you're going to reply to a staff member with a link, which is against the rules for you right now, to another forum that you spammed? Why don't you try just answering the question: why are you spamming this at every forum you can find?

It is because I am just like any other normal person wanting to discover the truth.  I am not being selfish and am not trying to bother you or be nonsensical.  I just really wish to discuss and find the answer to my theory here.  So far, I haven't.  People have just been dismissing my theory based upon their own personal opinions.  But I need to discuss an actual valid reason as to why they reject my theory besides just from their own personal opinions.
First: that still doesn't answer the question. Second, if you're not able to engage people in discussion on the seventy hundred and eighty three forums you've already posted this in, don't you think maybe you should change your style? You've already been banned from TTA, our sister site...

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Science Channel, Jupiter, and it's moon Io. Brian37 6 1272 July 9, 2018 at 4:29 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Science, the Bible and Satan Haipule 9 2374 November 16, 2017 at 11:16 am
Last Post: John V
  Science and Philosophy popsthebuilder 13 2674 June 25, 2015 at 6:04 am
Last Post: Alex K
  Science and the story it tells TheBeardedDude 10 2525 October 27, 2013 at 10:24 pm
Last Post: Zazzy
  Science curriculum called fascist and atheistic little_monkey 20 5624 August 18, 2013 at 1:03 pm
Last Post: Tobie
  The Science of Why We Don’t Believe Science FifthElement 23 7667 June 25, 2013 at 10:54 am
Last Post: Rahul
  Science and Randomness Mark 13:13 49 12632 January 6, 2013 at 8:19 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Questions about God and Science Akincana Krishna dasa 95 27678 October 23, 2012 at 4:00 am
Last Post: Angrboda
  Science Laughs: Science Comedian Brian Malow orogenicman 4 4258 December 10, 2010 at 12:06 pm
Last Post: Lethe
  Science And The Bible David Henson 48 17676 March 7, 2010 at 2:46 pm
Last Post: AngelaRachnid