Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 4:56 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Not asked or will be asked?
Not asked or will be asked?
People will not be asked about their sins:

Will be asked:

Contradiction, or is there a solution?
RE: Not asked or will be asked?
Oh NO!

Contradictions in religious texts! Confusedhock:

Tell me it ain't so.... Faints

You'd believe if you just opened your heart" is a terrible argument for religion. It's basically saying, "If you bias yourself enough, you can convince yourself that this is true." If religion were true, people wouldn't need faith to believe it -- it would be supported by good evidence.
Tie a towel very tightly around your head. The tighter you tie it the more it will make sense.
There is so much problems, I don't want to overload the site with them. So I will post them once in a while to keep things fresh.
And you wonder why people take up the atheistic point of view??
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
Just a thought: If you reject religion, and the only claims that god exists came from religion...then why still believe. It's like with deists; once they realized that religion was fake, they pushed god back, but why? The original basis for their belief (I'm talking the first deists, the ones from the enlightenment era) was from religion, without it the god claim is held up by nothing (not that religion can defend it either).
John Adams Wrote:The Government of the United States of America is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion.
(October 14, 2012 at 12:44 am)Darkstar Wrote: Just a thought: If you reject religion, and the only claims that god exists came from religion...then why still believe. It's like with deists; once they realized that religion was fake, they pushed god back, but why? The original basis for their belief (I'm talking the first deists, the ones from the enlightenment era) was from religion, without it the god claim is held up by nothing (not that religion can defend it either).

From perspectives, it is either going to believed I am deluding myself about knowledge of God because I want to believe in him or that I have knowledge of God existing (but also want to believe in him).

From my perspective, God exists, and put a way to know he exists within the soul/mind that would be a properly basic recognition, not inferred from an argument and I believe on this basis.

Take for example the belief in "praise". Even a nihilist, has pride, because in the end he believes in praise. He isn't totally with humility with no ounce of pride, because he believes in praise. Yet a nihilist can take on the intellectual position that praise is but a delusion and all subjective with no basis. In this scenario there is a conflict between what his soul is calling to, which is belief in (objective) praise, and is part of self-recognition of whom you are, with that of what he is intellectually taking.

If praise and eternal praise is linked, then again the soul can be calling to belief in eternal praise, but it's something else, if we intellectually are not convinced.

It's the same if it calls to recognition of ultimate praiseworthiness, or that beauty of praise is contingent on being eternal.

This would be all "spiritual" knowledge, which is not known through rigorous argument or intellectual arguments.

It would rather be perceived by the soul.

In this sense, I believe both properly basic knowledge of God and arguments for God would be of a spiritual nature that is properly basic.
(October 14, 2012 at 1:27 pm)MysticKnight Wrote: Take for example the belief in "praise". Even a nihilist, has pride, because in the end he believes in praise. He isn't totally with humility with no ounce of pride, because he believes in praise. Yet a nihilist can take on the intellectual position that praise is but a delusion and all subjective with no basis. In this scenario there is a conflict between what his soul is calling to, which is belief in (objective) praise, and is part of self-recognition of whom you are, with that of what he is intellectually taking.

If praise and eternal praise is linked, then again the soul can be calling to belief in eternal praise, but it's something else, if we intellectually not convinced.

[Image: wtf-cat.jpg]
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
(October 14, 2012 at 1:27 pm)MysticKnight Wrote: In this sense, I believe both properly basic knowledge of God and arguments for God would be of a spiritual nature that is properly basic.

Except for the fact that I don't 'feel' god, so it is not applicable to me. If god's existence is self-evident, then why do I think his non-existence is self-evident?
John Adams Wrote:The Government of the United States of America is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion.
(October 14, 2012 at 2:18 pm)Darkstar Wrote:
(October 14, 2012 at 1:27 pm)MysticKnight Wrote: In this sense, I believe both properly basic knowledge of God and arguments for God would be of a spiritual nature that is properly basic.

Except for the fact that I don't 'feel' god, so it is not applicable to me. If god's existence is self-evident, then why do I think his non-existence is self-evident?

I don't know. I've made some theories, and opened threads with them, but at the end I honestly don't know.