Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 6:32 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Morality versus afterlife
Morality versus afterlife
This is a question for anyone who thinks morality "comes from God".

If you knew there was no afterlife, that you're dead and gone no matter what happens in this life, would you continue to follow "morality from God"? Or would you then ignore it, and decide for yourself how to act?

Thanks Smile
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
RE: Morality versus afterlife
Well, good luck with getting any answers from your desired group. I consider that saddling up Rosinante.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
Cheers Smile

It's okay if I don't get any answers. If people read it and think about it I'll be happy.

Just wanna prod some brain cells and spark some thought.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of my best videos
(January 6, 2016 at 1:26 pm)robvalue Wrote: Just wanna prod some brain cells and spark some thought.

Oh, well.

[Image: 404brain.png]
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
Lol Big Grin

Well, I like to be charitable and think of it more like some wires have been crossed and the logic isn't quite getting to all areas. I'm encouraging people to dig them all out and have a proper look for themselves.

Index of my best videos
Naked assertion+moving the goal posts=Means what it means unless it doesn't mean what it means then it means what suits their desires.
A lot don't follow it now Rob. Just a quick "sorry god, try not to do it again" or " here is the money, we're good now right" and they are still in for the ultimate prize. I think that after life prize/punishment does very little to effect the day to day application of morals.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
True, they probably don't. But many would still claim that they do, I expect. I'm interested in whether the fixation on God's opinion would change if there wasn't any eternal stakes involved.

Index of my best videos
I will answer as someone who recently believed.

The answer is no.

My primary reason for following God was self preservation, i.e. fear of Hell.

I'm not going to say that I didn't consider God's rules to be truly moral. I did. I just failed time and time again to live up to that standard. Had I learned that there would ultimately be no consequences for my "dirty thoughts", I would never have put so much pressure on myself to be what I couldn't be. Instead, I would have probably rationalized God's standard as his way of just showing us how hopelessly corrupt we are and how tolerant and longsuffering He is for letting us be that way.
That's very interesting, thank you Smile

You're in a position to offer a lot of insight to atheist "lifers" like me!

You're quite right, Christianity is all about impossible standards. Worse, it's about being born broken.

Index of my best videos

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Evolution cannot account for morality chiknsld 341 33112 January 1, 2023 at 10:06 pm
Last Post: sdelsolray
  One God versus many T.J. 42 2970 December 6, 2021 at 1:41 pm
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  Does afterlife need God? Fake Messiah 7 1372 February 4, 2020 at 5:02 pm
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Debate: God & Morality: William Lane Craig vs Erik Wielenberg Jehanne 16 3392 March 2, 2018 at 8:06 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  Islam versus Judaism KerimF 22 7598 June 29, 2017 at 2:06 pm
Last Post: KerimF
  Morality quiz, and objective moralities robvalue 14 4493 January 31, 2016 at 7:15 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Santa versus god Foxaèr 8 2511 January 15, 2016 at 6:41 am
  The afterlife and the soul Vincent 87 18130 January 11, 2016 at 1:54 pm
Last Post: KevinM1
  Religion is a poor source of morality Cecelia 117 17057 October 10, 2015 at 5:26 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  How flexible is your religious morality? robvalue 24 7326 August 12, 2015 at 6:14 am