Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 8:26 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The afterlife and the soul
The afterlife and the soul
I think the most alluring thing about religion for many individuals is the promise of an afterlife. As an atheist, I don't believe that the afterlife exists. I don't think it's possible. And here's why. 

In order for there to be an afterlife, there has to be a soul. For the soul is what is carried on after death, correct? 

But is there even reason to believe that the soul exists? Think about it: The brain can be proven responsible for every aspect of you as a person: your personality, your actions, your beliefs, your desires, your emotions, your willpower, the love you have for other people, virtually everything originates and is carried out by your brain, as can be seen in the subject of psychology. Where does the soul even factor in to the equation? The brain explains everything without need for a soul. The soul, if it exists, serves no purpose, as everything we once attributed to it as primitive humans we have since found to be actions of brain functioning. 

So the problem is, if we know that the brain ceases functioning after we die, then what does the "soul" carry on with it to the afterlife (operating under the assumption that it's real)? What lives on after you die, is it really even you? What of you is left? Simply a life force, though your life force vanished with your last heartbeat? You had consciousness entirely because of your brain.

So with the brain gone, how would you even be aware to experience the tortures of hell or the blissful paradise of Heaven? Without a brain to process those feelings, you cannot actually feel them. Without a brain to remember and communicate with your loved ones, how can you meet them in heaven, how can you recognize them, how can you speak to them? Those are all abilities of a brain you no longer have. 

Theists: how do you make rational sense of these dilemmas? Is there some secret about the soul that I'm missing here?
RE: The afterlife and the soul
Your next to last paragraph should have been split into smaller, more coherent paragraphs.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
(January 7, 2016 at 1:23 am)Kitan Wrote: Your next to last paragraph should have been split into smaller, more coherent paragraphs.

Better? Lol I have a tendency to be really rambly so I don't pay as much attention to breaking things up as I should.
Quote:I think the most alluring thing about religion for many individuals is the promise of an afterlife.

I suspect you are probably right... at least to the extent that brain dead believers won't risk Pascal's Wager on it.

As always, H. L. Mencken defined the problem best.

Quote:What is the function that a clergyman performs in the world? Answer: he gets his living by assuring idiots that he can save them from an imaginary hell.
H L Mencken
Hi Laika Big Grin

When you're indoctrinated into a faith belief system that presupposes a soul, then you just believe it. But, I never really found the concept of heaven necessarily comforting. And over time, I didn't really believe in an actual 'place' called heaven. I have been reading the Bible again, and while I understand what it points out, it still is anyone's guess as to what heaven might be, or if it might exist.

Many theists believe in ''theistic evolution'' which allows a theist to see their religious beliefs and biological evolution as being compatible. (allowing for souls and science to play together nicely in the sandbox lol) I've never cared for that explanation, really.
(January 7, 2016 at 1:35 am)*Deidre* Wrote: Hi Laika Big Grin

When you're indoctrinated into a faith belief system that presupposes a soul, then you just believe it. But, I never really found the concept of heaven necessarily comforting. And over time, I didn't really believe in an actual 'place' called heaven. I have been reading the Bible again, and while I understand what it points out, it still is anyone's guess as to what heaven might be, or if it might exist.

First, while I appreciate your kind greeting, I prefer to be called "Vincent" now for gender reasons. Smile

I am curious about how you say you don't believe in heaven as a place. If I may ask, what do you see it as? I felt as though the Bible made it obscenely clear that Heaven was intended to be read as the place for believers to be sent after they died, and I'm uncertain as to how it can be interpreted as anything else. Thinking
I find the concept of an infinite afterlife incredibly scary, it's about the worst thing I could imagine. I'm comforted by the fact that I do my time here and then I get to rest.

Not that this sways my scientific opinion. There is no evidence of "an afterlife" or a "soul" or even a sensible definition of what the hell these are meant to be. It's all wishful thinking garbage, an inability to cope with the finality of death, and a desire to feel really special.

I remember reading that "heaven" can be a harmful concept, and can stop people being properly able to grieve after the loss of a loved one. I have seen this in action with someone I know Sad They have been consumed by the fact that their loved one is "still here" somehow.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
After death you will only exist in the memory of those who knew you, asking where you go after that is like asking where the music goes when the band stops playing.
The meek shall inherit the Earth, the rest of us will fly to the stars.

Never underestimate the power of very stupid people in large groups

Arguing with an engineer is like wrestling with a pig in mud ..... after a while you realise that the pig likes it!

Soul?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eX0x8k5p6Jw
Quote:To know yet to think that one does not know is best; Not to know yet to think that one knows will lead to difficulty.
- Lau Tzu

Join me on atheistforums Slack Cool Shades (pester tibs via pm if you need invite) Tongue

(January 7, 2016 at 1:19 am)Vincent Wrote: I think the most alluring thing about religion for many individuals is the promise of an afterlife. As an atheist, I don't believe that the afterlife exists. I don't think it's possible. And here's why. 

In order for there to be an afterlife, there has to be a soul. For the soul is what is carried on after death, correct? 

But is there even reason to believe that the soul exists? Think about it: The brain can be proven responsible for every aspect of you as a person: your personality, your actions, your beliefs, your desires, your emotions, your willpower, the love you have for other people, virtually everything originates and is carried out by your brain, as can be seen in the subject of psychology. Where does the soul even factor in to the equation? The brain explains everything without need for a soul. The soul, if it exists, serves no purpose, as everything we once attributed to it as primitive humans we have since found to be actions of brain functioning. 

So the problem is, if we know that the brain ceases functioning after we die, then what does the "soul" carry on with it to the afterlife (operating under the assumption that it's real)? What lives on after you die, is it really even you? What of you is left? Simply a life force, though your life force vanished with your last heartbeat? You had consciousness entirely because of your brain.

So with the brain gone, how would you even be aware to experience the tortures of hell or the blissful paradise of Heaven? Without a brain to process those feelings, you cannot actually feel them. Without a brain to remember and communicate with your loved ones, how can you meet them in heaven, how can you recognize them, how can you speak to them? Those are all abilities of a brain you no longer have. 

Theists: how do you make rational sense of these dilemmas? Is there some secret about the soul that I'm missing here?
The general notion, is that the "soul" in the afterlife is an analog for the body, regarding senses.  We hear of the beautiful sights in heaven, the beautiful music, the pleasures and happiness.  There are, apparently, spirit ears, and spirit eyes, spirit tongues and spirit hands for your spirit self.   The body (and brain) seems a bit redundant in that context, but fuck it, these people are crazy, what did you expect?
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The problem of the soul zwanzig 142 10312 August 15, 2021 at 4:45 pm
Last Post: Abaddon_ire
  Does afterlife need God? Fake Messiah 7 1372 February 4, 2020 at 5:02 pm
Last Post: onlinebiker
  If I lose my soul, do I die? robvalue 37 5178 September 4, 2018 at 12:15 am
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  What is your Soul Count? Graufreud 39 4370 July 23, 2018 at 1:34 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Officially sold my "soul" for the second time. Foxaèr 2 1058 January 28, 2017 at 3:49 am
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  Morality versus afterlife robvalue 163 31043 March 13, 2016 at 6:40 pm
Last Post: RoadRunner79
  Theists, What If Your "Soul" Isn't Really Immortal? God of Mr. Hanky 22 5452 February 3, 2016 at 6:22 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  What the hell is a 'soul' anyway? Lucanus 128 27823 September 7, 2015 at 4:28 am
Last Post: Ronkonkoma
  Disproving The Soul Severan 58 13949 August 31, 2015 at 8:44 am
Last Post: Neo-Scholastic
  Selling your soul. Chad32 38 9317 August 11, 2015 at 3:57 pm
Last Post: Homeless Nutter