Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 11:23 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Algae-Powered Building
Algae-Powered Building
http://inhabitat.com/splitterwerk-archit...r-germany/

Splitterwerk Architects Design World's First Algae-Powered Building for Germany

[Image: Algae-Powered-House-Biofacade-Splitterwe...7x401.jpeg]

Quote:To create the algae façade, the building is covered in bio-reactive louvers that enclose the algae. These louvers allow the algae to survive and grow faster than they would otherwise while also providing shade for the interior of the building. Additionally, the bio-reactors trap the heat energy created by the algae, which can then be harvested and used to power the building. Once the building is completed, it will be evaluated by scientists and engineers to allow for future research and adaptation for future building projects.
[Image: Untitled2_zpswaosccbr.png]
RE: Algae-Powered Building
Can't wait to get my hands on this technology as a future civil engineer!
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it" ~ Aristotle
Isn't it exciting?
That's neato! And pretty.
I think I need new glasses, I first read the title as "Al Qaeda-Powered Building"
It's really making me proud to see companies and designers work in this medium. Did you see how IKEA announced that they were putting solar panels on their stores to try to aim for energy independence? That's great stuff.
Kind of poetic I think, that the future of our existence is going to be determined (to a great extent) by those processes established in the impossibly distant past. How well we can merge "high tech" with "no-tech". I kind of hoped that my generation would be the one to lay that green blanket over civilization, but I don't think we have enough momentum to get that done, so I guess we just lay the slab and the next one builds the walls eh?
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
And people ask me why I get horny off this stuff.
this sounds nice, and there are currently a few companies using this technology - but most of them are american and an israeli company which are unlikely to share technology.
http://www.popularmechanics.com/science/...el/4333722

Since our goverment decided in 2011, after the Fukushima catastrophy, that all nuklear powerplants have to be shut down by 2022 and that by 2020, 50 percent of german energy should come from green sources, all sorts of nice concepts have arrived, but only few actualy work.
currently 25 percent of german energy comes from renewable sources and energy prices have gone up quite a bit.
I`m for the "Energiewende" but the current administration is making quite the fool out of themselves - by throwing arround with concepts and hardly anything being started except for the giant offshore windpark projects.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_off...in_Germany
(October 29, 2012 at 10:02 am)The_Germans_are_coming Wrote: this sounds nice, and there are currently a few companies using this technology - but most of them are american and an israeli company which are unlikely to share technology.
http://www.popularmechanics.com/science/...el/4333722

Since our goverment decided in 2011, after the Fukushima catastrophy, that all nuklear powerplants have to be shut down by 2022 and that by 2020, 50 percent of german energy should come from green sources, all sorts of nice concepts have arrived, but only few actualy work.
currently 25 percent of german energy comes from renewable sources and energy prices have gone up quite a bit.
I`m for the "Energiewende" but the current administration is making quite the fool out of themselves - by throwing arround with concepts and hardly anything being started except for the giant offshore windpark projects.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_off...in_Germany

I gotta give Germany a lot of credit. I don't doubt that energy prices will rise in the short term, but in the long run, it'll be worth it. It's not a 4 year game that we Americans seem to think it is, it's a long term sustainability that we should be aiming for.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Fuel from Algae thesummerqueen 2 1791 January 6, 2012 at 11:02 am
Last Post: popeyespappy