Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 3:57 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The meaning of the name "Islam".
The meaning of the name "Islam".
I have heard some people say that the very meaning of the name "Islam" means "Peace". But I have also heard others say that the very meaning of the word "Islam" means "Submission to God's will". Which is it?
RE: The meaning of the name "Islam".
I have always heard it as "submission," but I am far from an expert.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
Yeah I was told in school it meant submission or surrender
I was tought it meant "Unterwerfung" meaning - Submission.

I once attended a presentation by an islamic scolar from egypt, he spoke german but wasn`t probably that much aware about our culture and history. Because he seemed very suprised when the attending croud took a deep breath and muttered in discontent after he stated:

"Jihad translates literaly into Mein Kampf or "mit sich selbst kämpfen"
"Salam" means peace.

"Islam" is deduced from "Salam", but it means basically submission (to God and his law). Modern muslims focus on the deduction from "Salam" (or peace) due to the accusations of terrorism posed to Islam, but the old understanding of the word "Islam" is submission.

but, on the other hand, there is a saying of the prophet Mohammed relating Islam to peace and describing Muslim as a person who don't hurt people with his tongue or his hand.

So, you can say that the word Islam means submission and means also "making peace"

By the way, you can say that all the terrorism is forbidden in Islam. Although I was Muslim I haven't known yet what what makes many fundamentalist Muslims supporting terrorism, but this maybe because I was raised in a Sufism atmosphere which is a culture based on sublimation and peace, so even if I read a Jihadist text I used not to understand it literally.
* Illusion is a big world ... and the world is a bigger illusion.
* Try to live happy ... try to make others live happy.
As root of the word, means submission to God.
Arabic Islam = slm = sin , lam, mim

The second meaning.
From the root "slm" which means peace.

Arabic word salam = peace, peaceful, safety, etc
If it means submission, I Islamed my missus earlier. Twice.
http://www.barghouti.com/islam/meaning.html

Quote:Islam is derived from the Arabic root "Salema": peace, purity, submission and obedience. In the religious sense, Islam means submission to the will of God and obedience to His law.

There is enough bullshit on the site to make it sound plausible.
(November 4, 2012 at 7:03 am)DoubtVsFaith Wrote: I have heard some people say that the very meaning of the name "Islam" means "Peace". But I have also heard others say that the very meaning of the word "Islam" means "Submission to God's will". Which is it?

"Islam" means "don't bother learning to land the plane"
You are currently experiencing a lucky and very brief window of awareness, sandwiched in between two periods of timeless and utter nothingness. So why not make the most of it, and stop wasting your life away trying to convince other people that there is something else? The reality is obvious.

(November 5, 2012 at 12:52 pm)Norfolk And Chance Wrote: "Islam" means "don't bother learning to land the plane"

[Image: woah.gif]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is Israel The Name Of God? Authari 11 1185 December 31, 2022 at 1:49 am
Last Post: Astreja
  [Shocking Reflection]: Finally, I found Mohammed's name in the Bible and the Torah WinterHold 105 5595 November 26, 2022 at 1:29 am
Last Post: UniversesBoss
Bug What is this? Name that fallacy zwanzig 25 2130 October 15, 2021 at 2:09 am
Last Post: Ferrocyanide
  These Guys Could Give Religion A Good Name. Minimalist 2 789 March 15, 2018 at 12:45 am
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  What the name of God is. Mystic 73 8313 April 13, 2017 at 9:59 am
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  The Meaning of Sin, False Christians, Atheists, and Misinterpretations TheChrist 64 13654 August 2, 2015 at 12:29 pm
Last Post: JesusHChrist
  "Ultimate" meaning, "objective" morality, and "inherent" worth. Esquilax 6 3605 June 25, 2015 at 4:06 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Something about killing in the name of atheism Dystopia 64 13448 April 19, 2015 at 8:58 pm
Last Post: Dystopia
  Why order people to kill in god's name at all? Chad32 29 7149 February 18, 2014 at 12:27 am
Last Post: Godscreated
  My name, is Mark Dreher, I would like to post an obituary Mark Dreher 64 19288 August 25, 2013 at 1:12 pm
Last Post: CleanShavenJesus