Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 6:48 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ex-Christians
Ex-Christians
I know a lot of atheists will say they are former Christians. How did you know you were a Christian ?? Did you participate in a ritual or say a prayer or go to confession?
Did you have some sort of affirmation that you were a Christian ?
I apologize if this has been asked before but I'm fairly new to atheist forums.
RE: Ex-Christians
I was christian in the kid sense of the word.
I was a kid, I believed my elders and they claimed there was a god, everywhere, but invisible.
We didn't go to church much, but did the parties: Easter and Christmas.
I thought everyone was the same, so I was too.

Then, when I was about 10, I figured they must be wrong.... and a world of possibilities opened... plus, I discovered there are other religions.

Given this, I'm not the sort of person that would say "I was once a christian"... I was once a kid who believed whatever he was told, just like most kids in the world. Then I became an atheist.
Tnmusicman what's your definition of a Christian?
As a kid/young teen, I believed in Jesus, God and the holy spirit, I believed they/god as one existed and watched over us, I wanted to spread the word/love of Jesus to the point of considering becoming a priest as a kid. Believed the bible was the word of God (till I read past the 4 gospels and basic stories we were told as a kid)

I did my 'confirmation' (as a young highschooler) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confirmatio...ic_Church) , went to confessions, found the stations of the cross to be incredibly moving, said prayers regularly (and meant them, not the nonsense grace before dinner stuff)....
Nemo me impune lacessit.
My parents took me to church every day, yet I was in no way, shape, or form a Christian. Even so, that church does consider me a Christian, because I was confirmed at the church on orders from my parents.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
Well I dont think I realy ever was a christian, since my parents were both from different confessions (dad anglican, mum catholic) they very oftern argued over "how to pray" etc.
I remember pritty well how my dad, angrily refused to let me go to catholic confession because to him all catholic priest were nothing but potential pedophiles.
After a certain time my parents agreed that we (their two sons) should decide for themselves, as a result we didn`t go to church anymore and other.
I didn`t care much, european churches are medieval buildings designed to defend against a medieval army - therefor cold and depressing in the inside.
An our catholic priest was an asshole.
(November 8, 2012 at 9:38 am)Tnmusicman Wrote: I know a lot of atheists will say they are former Christians. How did you know you were a Christian ?? Did you participate in a ritual or say a prayer or go to confession?
Did you have some sort of affirmation that you were a Christian ?
I apologize if this has been asked before but I'm fairly new to atheist forums.
How did I "know"? Well, let's see:

My parents were devout Catholics. I was "baptized" when I was a few days old. I was taken to church twice a week, and I walked around with black crap on my forehead every "Ash Wednesday". I went to Catholic school, and was an altar boy. I went to confession twice a week (and confessed all of my "sins", you know "fighting with my brother", "talking back to my mother", etc.) I said my penance prayers, and I knew how to work the Rosary beads. I went through "confirmation", and regularly "took communion". I was as christian as a christian can be.

However, as I am now an atheist (for the past 40 years or so), I suppose a genuine True Christian would say that I never actually was a christian, because I never "truly accepted Jesus in my heart".
"If there are gaps they are in our knowledge, not in things themselves." Chapman Cohen

"Shit-apples don't fall far from the shit-tree, Randy." Mr. Lahey
I had a girlfriend in highschool (catholic) that "knew how to work the rosary beads" as well....I'm fairly certain she wasn't a christian.Angel
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(November 8, 2012 at 12:16 pm)Rhythm Wrote: I had a girlfriend in highschool (catholic) that "knew how to work the rosary beads" as well....I'm fairly certain she wasn't a christian.Angel

I'm sure if you know how to work the rosary beads well enough in a certain way, you can have a fairly religious experience with them.
"If there are gaps they are in our knowledge, not in things themselves." Chapman Cohen

"Shit-apples don't fall far from the shit-tree, Randy." Mr. Lahey
Would explain why I had my head buried at that altar for years eh?
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Christians vs Christians (yec) Fake Messiah 52 7829 January 31, 2019 at 2:08 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Why do Christians become Christians? SteveII 168 31253 May 20, 2016 at 8:43 pm
Last Post: drfuzzy
  Christians. Prove That You Are Real/True Christians Nope 155 51179 September 1, 2015 at 1:26 pm
Last Post: Pyrrho
  The first Christians weren't Bible Christians Phatt Matt s 60 15809 March 26, 2014 at 10:26 am
Last Post: rightcoaster
  Now Christians piss of Christians. leo-rcc 10 9946 December 11, 2010 at 4:02 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris