Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 3:01 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Puerto Rico looks like it will be the 51st state
Puerto Rico looks like it will be the 51st state
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/elec...statehood/

I found it interesting, at least. Had they been a state this time around, it probably would have been another state for Obama because of the quasi-racist Republican obsession with immigration. It would put two more seats in the Senate and 5 more in he House (according to current population trends at least). Plus, both presidential candidates support Puerto Rico statehood. Looks like it's only a matter of time before those flags with 50 stars become obsolete.
I live on facebook. Come see me there. http://www.facebook.com/tara.rizzatto

"If you cling to something as the absolute truth and you are caught in it, when the truth comes in person to knock on your door you will refuse to let it in." ~ Siddhartha Gautama
RE: Puerto Rico looks like it will be the 51st state
I wouldn`t be that sure about Puerto Rico becoming a democrat stronghold, from what i have read in the past minutes it`s a (socialy) pritty conservative place.
Which I might compare to conservative Spain, in which the catholic church has a lot of influence in public opinion.
The fact that homosexuals are assaulted on a daily basis is scary enought.
(November 8, 2012 at 12:35 pm)The_Germans_are_coming Wrote: The fact that homosexuals are assaulted on a daily basis is scary enought.
One wonders how many of those incidents involve tourist Johns...hmn, we probably aren't thinking of the same place...
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(November 8, 2012 at 12:35 pm)The_Germans_are_coming Wrote: I wouldn`t be that sure about Puerto Rico becoming a democrat stronghold, from what i have read in the past minutes it`s a (socialy) pritty conservative place.
Which I might compare to conservative Spain, in which the catholic church has a lot of influence in public opinion.
The fact that homosexuals are assaulted on a daily basis is scary enought.

Long term, no, I don't see them being a democrat state unless there are some very big changes to Puerto Rico. However, the thing that changed in this election from most election was that the hispanic voter actually showed up. Statistically speaking, hispanic voters don't show up to vote as much as other voters do. This time they did and gave the presidency to Obama. Since Puerto Rico is almost entirely hispanic, until the Republican party gives up their lame ass immigration concerns (which are pretty much just a front for 'we-hate-non-white-people' attitudes), I can't see a state that's almost entirely hispanic voting for them. The only question is, when is the Republican party going to drop the borderline-racism within their party?

"If you cling to something as the absolute truth and you are caught in it, when the truth comes in person to knock on your door you will refuse to let it in." ~ Siddhartha Gautama
I agree on the point, that as long as the republican party will have a discrimenatory and sometimes eaven racist (very weird in that case) policie towards hispanics, that puerto rico will vote democrat for most of the time.
But I guess the republican will learn out of their defeat, that they have to be more forthcoming towards minorities, if not... well then they are digging their own graves.
(November 8, 2012 at 12:46 pm)The_Germans_are_coming Wrote: I agree on the point, that as long as the republican party will have a discrimenatory and sometimes eaven racist (very weird in that case) policie towards hispanics, that puerto rico will vote democrat for most of the time.
But I guess the republican will learn out of their defeat, that they have to be more forthcoming towards minorities, if not... well then they are digging their own graves.

Yeah, they're starting to learn, but it's going to be a rough road. I mean, they tolerated so much blatent racism in regards to Obama then, they try to prove they aren't racist with token black candidate Herman Cain (who, honestly, is more of an insult to black people than having no black candidates).

For now, Marco Rubio can be a HUGE help for them; he's an intelligent hispanic man and he certainly isn't just a token hispanic guy, either. Honestly, I think either Rubio or Condileza Rice running would be the best for the Republican party, since both of them are intelligent, accomplished racial minorities (Condi is a woman, too, which has been another of their problem areas).

Still, those are the intelligent, rational ideas I would have for the Republican party and lately, they haven't been especially rational.

They have to get approval before they become a state, they just voted in their country that they wanted to become a state.
[Image: SigBarSping_zpscd7e35e1.png]
I hope they become a state....I don't want to see them ever get their freedom.
But if we walk in the light, as He is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus, His Son, purifies us from all sin.
The fact the united states owns territories is contradictory to what we believe in. We need to either free all and make them their own countries or give them all statehood.
Live every day as if already dead, that way you're not disappointed when you are. Big Grin
With Puerto Rico becoming the 51st state of the Union, would that mean that Spanish becomes an "official" language with English in the United States government. Like for example French and English are both the official languages of Canada.
undefined

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Ayn Rand blamed for current state of America Foxaèr 61 3032 June 24, 2021 at 6:17 pm
Last Post: no one
  Has Mark Samsel Done A Good Job As A Kansas State Representative? BrianSoddingBoru4 11 1042 May 3, 2021 at 10:56 am
Last Post: GUBU
  looks like the orange man group making a come back.. Drich 190 10570 December 25, 2020 at 10:03 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Separation of Science and State John 6IX Breezy 233 10277 November 19, 2020 at 7:44 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Why is Vatican a state? Fake Messiah 13 1231 November 11, 2020 at 9:07 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Satan and Flying Spaghetti Monster Unite for Church-State Separation AFTT47 2 657 September 23, 2019 at 8:29 am
Last Post: GrandizerII
  The communist state of Kerela, India Duty 5 822 December 22, 2018 at 11:33 pm
Last Post: DodosAreDead
  State level elections in BAvaria yield ground breaking results Deesse23 0 245 October 15, 2018 at 3:50 am
Last Post: Deesse23
  So Apparently We Have An AG Who Doesn't Think Hawaii Is A State. Minimalist 39 7984 October 1, 2018 at 2:17 pm
Last Post: Losty
  Looks Like The WLB Got Hoodwinked Minimalist 53 5936 June 14, 2018 at 7:06 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris