Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 9:39 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wilhelm Brasse. 3 December 1917 - 23. October 2012
Wilhelm Brasse. 3 December 1917 - 23. October 2012
Wilhelm Brasse, who himself was a prisoner at Ausschwitz has died on the 23rd of October.
Being skilled in photography the SS camp administration used him to photograph prisoners aswell as personel. He was rewarded food and his chances on survival were larger than those of other inmates due to this "job".
He made several iconic photos during his time there from which I am sure many of you have seen some before.

Wilhelm Brasse:

[Image: image-416186-galleryV9-wkdc.jpg]

Pictures of prisoners: ("When making their portraits, I knew they would die"):

[Image: image-416175-galleryV9-szqp.jpg]

[Image: Wilhelm-Brasse-Auschwitz-450.jpg]

[Image: 227b366d50357e3776705b845ee6795d_int470.jpg]

[Image: 470285-wilhelm-brasse.jpg]

Quote:Brasse, who had a noted skill for putting his subjects at ease, recalled telling one officer to "sit comfortably, relax and think about your fatherland" before snapping his picture. This image is of SS officer Maximilian Grabner. Grasse received extra food as his payment for the images he took.

[Image: image-416177-galleryV9-gubo.jpg]
RE: Wilhelm Brasse. 3 December 1917 - 23. October 2012
This pic always made me so angry.

[Image: smcoi8uu39st.gif]

people comfortably basking in the sun while a short distance from them this was going on .....

[Image: jcg4ljkd62u.jpg]
"Jesus is like an unpaid babysitter "
R. Gervais
It's chilling isn't it, how thorough our indifference can be so long as we are dedicated to either the indifference itself, or leaving it unconsidered. I saw a scene so innocent in comparison to these images that you could practically (and ironically) call it child friendly...but to me, it was so horrible that something within me I cannot even describe or place was broken..likely to remain so until my own death. How these people managed to avoid that sinking, that consumption, is to me - an unanswerable question.

deep thoughts...by jack handy.....lol.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
In that first photo it really looks like someone caught him with a stiff right cross at some point in his life. His nose is at a 30 degree angle.
I think he should have hit one of those Nazi's over the head with the camera.
Live free or die free there are no other options.
Live every day as if already dead, that way you're not disappointed when you are. Big Grin
(November 18, 2012 at 4:39 am)JohnDG Wrote: I think he should have hit one of those Nazi's over the head with the camera.

The Free Dictionary :

self-pres·er·va·tion (slfprzr-vshn)

1. Protection of oneself from harm or destruction.
2. The instinct for individual preservation; the innate desire to stay alive.
"Jesus is like an unpaid babysitter "
R. Gervais
(November 18, 2012 at 7:34 am)Kousbroek Wrote:
(November 18, 2012 at 4:39 am)JohnDG Wrote: I think he should have hit one of those Nazi's over the head with the camera.

The Free Dictionary :

self-pres·er·va·tion (slfprzr-vshn)

1. Protection of oneself from harm or destruction.
2. The instinct for individual preservation; the innate desire to stay alive.

What would be left alive could not possibly be the same person. Human beings can be broken, were very fragile.
Live every day as if already dead, that way you're not disappointed when you are. Big Grin
Do not worry, this will be repeated many times in future times (not necessarily in germany).
It's a mixed bag John, I'm with you, gonna have to shoot my uncooperative ass. On the other hand, what comprises the "self" of another is a different matter aint it? To them, remaining alive may be the overriding part of the equation of "self"..nothing wrong with that.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
I have to wonder if being surrounded by death didn't make the self-preservation instinct that much stronger.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Are you looking forward to Political Christmas in 2024 on 24th/25th December? Woah0 9 885 December 3, 2022 at 7:49 am
Last Post: LinuxGal
  Compare Joe Biden In 2012 To Him Today: Signs of Dementia Are Clear ReptilianPeon 11 1963 April 12, 2020 at 6:00 am
Last Post: GrandizerII
  The Onion perfectly predicted Donald Trump in 2012 shadow 14 2271 August 24, 2017 at 1:59 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  2012 Elections results finally in US officially applies 4 Banana Republic status @ UN TheSteelGeneral 88 26772 January 15, 2013 at 1:27 am
Last Post: Anymouse
  Atheist's guide to the 2012 election Napoléon 15 4443 September 25, 2012 at 12:46 am
Last Post: Polaris
  Republican Party Platform 2012 and Religion Faith No More 9 5046 August 31, 2012 at 6:14 am
Last Post: Jaysyn
  2012 Farm Bill.....maybe... The Grand Nudger 1 1613 June 29, 2012 at 4:03 pm
Last Post: Epimethean
  Who will realistically win the 2012 presidential election? goddamnit 26 9887 June 29, 2012 at 12:54 pm
Last Post: Whateverist
  RIP Facts 360BC - 2012 KichigaiNeko 1 1365 April 23, 2012 at 6:30 pm
Last Post: Tea Earl Grey Hot
  KONY 2012 Tiberius 72 21927 March 11, 2012 at 11:03 pm
Last Post: Tempus