Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 4:01 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"Offensive Weapons" in the UK
"Offensive Weapons" in the UK
Footballer with a "baton" fined and the baton destroyed.

Meanwhile, people can carry as many baseball bats, golf clubs, hammers, etc. as they like.

*clap* *clap*
RE: "Offensive Weapons" in the UK
(November 21, 2012 at 5:44 pm)Tiberius Wrote: Footballer with a "baton" fined and the baton destroyed.

Meanwhile, people can carry as many baseball bats, golf clubs, hammers, etc. as they like.

*clap* *clap*

So, as this was a police-style baton, does this mean that the police are on the offensive? Angel

The difference between an offensive weapon, a defensive weapon, and a harmless inanimate object: intent.
Ha! I thought for sure it would be Joey Barton before reading the article.
(November 21, 2012 at 6:04 pm)cato123 Wrote: Ha! I thought for sure it would be Joey Barton before reading the article.

Ha. +1
Love atheistforums.org? Consider becoming a patreon and helping towards our server costs.

[Image: 146748944129044_zpsomrzyn3d.gif]
The offense according to the Offensive Weapons Act 1996 is that of "carrying an offensive weapon without lawful authority or reasonable excuse". To the best of my knowledge, a person can carry any item which could be used as a weapon if that item would be a reasonable or normal item for that person to carry, a tool of the trade. I've probably butchered it horribly but the upshot is that a plumber could reasonably carry a pipe wrench, a carpenter a hammer, and so on. Police-style batons are restricted for use by police. Since an offensive weapon is defined in law as "any object that has been made or adapted to cause injury" and includes "an object not designed to hurt anyone, but you're carrying it round intending to cause injury, like nail scissors", then carrying a baseball bat for the purpose of using it as a weapon is definitely illegal. It's no defense to say that you're only carrying it for self-defense.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
The law is stupid.
That's not a criticism of Stimbo's counter, Tibs. Wink
Slave to the Patriarchy no more
His counter is perfectly valid; legally speaking, what he had was an offensive weapon. I'm just stating my disagreement with the law.
Are you implying that it's perfectly reasonable and expected to be able to waltz around public with a potential weapon, attract police attention (why would such occur?) and refuse to give rationale as to why you have said potential weapon?
Slave to the Patriarchy no more
I don't believe any part of my post or response implied that, no.

The report said he had it in his car; he wasn't carrying it around in public. The police most likely stopped him for some other offense, and searched his vehicle. If he's using it as a weapon, he should be arrested and the weapon taken from him. Otherwise, he should be left alone.

The fact is, we all waltz around public with potential weapons; we all have fists, our heads, our feet, etc. In a moment's notice, we can unleash some real damage on people by using our bodies. I fail to see why carrying weapons around is grounds for arresting someone and removing it. Self-defense should be an adequate defense.

I've used this argument time and time again: if you remove a right to any sort of weapon, the only people with the weapons are the government and the criminals...neither of whom should ever be allowed to have all the weapons.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How many nuclear weapons were used on Iraqis? I and I 25 3926 December 7, 2013 at 10:12 pm
Last Post: Chas
  Syria: Chemical weapons kill hundreds in Ibrin Something completely different 5 2184 August 22, 2013 at 2:01 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
Lightbulb Assault weapons ban update: Senate committee holds hearing on proposed ban Nobody 2 963 February 27, 2013 at 5:56 pm
Last Post: Nobody
  School Boards weapons policy violated - by deaf preschooler Cyberman 7 2081 August 29, 2012 at 10:00 am
Last Post: Annik