Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 8:53 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Controvercial Art.
Controvercial Art.
I guess some of you will know the french electronic music duo Justice since they are known beyond France and probably beyond Europe.

Alot of you will therefor know tracks such as "We are your Friends", "Rivers of Nazareth", "Genisis", "Civilisation" and "Dance". And that their vids are usualy pritty awsome

examples:

In 2008 they rleased the track "Stress" together with a vid directed by Romain Gavras - which caused widespread controvercy in France.
It follows a group of black, magrhrebian and white youths from a Banlieue (french suburb) gang, roaming violently through Paris.
Alot of critics acused Justice of being racist and portraying foreigners in a violent image.
One thing which disturbed alot of people to, was that most viewers dont feel repulsed by what what the video shows, but are drawn in into the display of bloodlust.

I find myself debating this vid with friends eaven today, 4 years after it has been released.

What do you think? Do you know similary controvercial pieces of art?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ap-xkjeXODo
RE: Controvercial Art.
In truth, I don't find the above controversial at all, sure the images are violent, but do they challenge my perceptions, I am not sure, I have not followed the rest of the album, so I don't know where it leads, but the part I have seen the above video, has not added anything new to me. Maybe this is just because I am old, and I am just comparing it to what has gone before, seems to be nothing but a re working for the reality television age of the first scenes from a clockwork Orange.

However, I know of myself that I do not always see the world from what others would say was a conventional view point, and art which others find challenging to me seems everyday, and what others accept as normal I personally find anathema. Like the level of psychological control supermarkets use to 'enhance the buying experience'. It could be because that was what I did for a job, I am tuned to effects that most do not notice, or I am just off my rocker.

One man's meat is another's poison and all that I suppose.
I really like art. I've been learning all about "modern" (not the art movement, but time) art, specifically alternative art (in the last few months). It's interesting, but hard to understand.
[Image: SigBarSping_zpscd7e35e1.png]
Not similar but quite controversial till this day.

http://deviantalfred.deviantart.com/art/...-148912757
"Jesus is like an unpaid babysitter "
R. Gervais
The first video is art, I can't see the 2nd, the third is just a bunch of people being violent with music(art) in the background. I assume everyone in the last video was an actor or there would be no way in hell they could get away with all of that.
Live every day as if already dead, that way you're not disappointed when you are. Big Grin
The_Germans_are_coming, you need to learn when to use "c" and when to use "s." It's controversial, not controvercial.

Why is it that way? Because fuck you, it's the english language that's why. Tongue
My ignore list

"The lord doesn't work in mysterious ways, but in ways that are indistinguishable from his nonexistence."
-- George Yorgo Veenhuyzen quoted by John W. Loftus in The End of Christianity (p. 103).
It was me, which is Alex, and my 7 druges; I won't bore you with thier names,
We were sitting in the large jacket shop trying to make up our razootdocs about which emblem to emblazon on the back of our huge jackets,
We went with a black cross because the burning one they had at the shop was lame looking; we love Christ and black things, not the clan,
We had been taking meth plus, a form of meth that included mephedrone because we heard it could turn you into a zombie,
We were let down when we discovered no new taste for human flesh so we grabbed up our tactical batons and headed out the door,
There are seven acknowledged wonders of the world; you are about to witness the eight... confusion!
Here come the drums
Is learning where to place c's and s's nessecary? Perhaps, but damn it's hard. That was my first attempt at necessary and I'm leaving it there as an example, what people really need to do is look for the red line, right click the word, and let their computer fix it for them (unless there spelling is so off that the computed gives up, like mine occassionaly does).

Yes I spelt that wrong as well.
Nemo me impune lacessit.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Art in the Home FrustratedFool 17 1297 October 25, 2023 at 6:59 am
Last Post: Belacqua
  "Impossible" Art LinuxGal 12 1238 September 9, 2023 at 2:24 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Is art deranged? MarcusA 29 2158 September 3, 2023 at 7:34 am
  What is Art? MarcusA 15 1077 September 3, 2023 at 2:17 am
Last Post: MarcusA
  Art in decadence? Macoleco 53 5584 December 4, 2022 at 5:43 pm
  Of neon and art deco...... Brian37 7 534 September 2, 2020 at 3:28 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  April fool. This is indeed a work of art. Succubus#2 1 355 April 1, 2020 at 6:44 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  'demonic' art project at school Fake Messiah 1 505 October 23, 2019 at 12:16 am
Last Post: AFTT47
  Censored Art Photos Foxaèr 5 577 April 27, 2019 at 9:16 am
Last Post: Fireball
  Your Thoughts On Art Alan V 86 6462 April 16, 2019 at 6:35 am
Last Post: Gwaithmir