Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 4:23 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
No fear.
No fear.
I am inebriated, so in the future, when sober, I humbly request be forgiven, but right now I am literally cross-eyed.

One thing I am realizing, in this state of narrowed perception, devoid of emotions beyond the primal, is that we humans are selfish creatures. Yes, we may display selflessness, but how quickly it evaporates when sustained. In quick bursts, we display selflessness, but prolonged, it melts to selflessness. We will not sustain others in trade of ourselves. And is this surprising?? No. Biologically, we are attuned to self-preservation. If others may be helped to help assist the propagation and survival of the species, it is worth pursuing, but to continue to drag along a dying or wilting fellow who refuses to display the effort? No. Not NEARLY so much.

The idea of the zombie apocalypse appeals so easily for many reasons, and the Jamaicans [originators] and George Romero [popularizer] had the basic ideas done right; beings formerly capable of reason made into unreasonable, instinctual entities of craving. But really, it conflicts with the ideals and ideas of humanity; what DEFINES a human being? Sheer reason? Or mere existence? And by what objective values do we determine the weight of either? We don't in either case, not if we hope to objectively determine either.

We humans are a product of order becoming subjective. We are not so easily classified. We are so varied and widely-determined, but we hunger for order and simplicity. And why not? Complexity means focusing on shit that, even if we fully grasp it, will ultimately do nothing materialistically for us. But simplicity? It means throwing your hands up and going "Fuck it; WHATEVER!" and going about your lives. And, conveniently, you can attribute, to a higher power, your existence, choices, and responsibilities. You shirk responsibilities in the wider category so that you might focus it on the narrower aspects...the aspects that pertain to YOU, the individual.

TRUE conviction and faith is where you take it too far, too narrow the mindset, too blindsided. Convince yourself of a falsehood...if it hurts nobody else, and you intend to delude NOBODY else of it, then why stop?? There is no reason, of course.

THIS is why I come to the understanding that I do; that most Christians only believe on the surface but deep down, at an unconscious level, are secretly yearning for answers they dare not ask the questions to, BECAUSE THAT IS HUMAN NATURE!! The voice of reason is soft, the voice of preservation reptilian and primal!

We humans rail in two different directions, two different extremes...rationality and emotion. One side always trying to fight off the other, in a desperate, hopeless war to eradicate the other when one and the other will never truly die.

We are a tragedy of biology. Nature was cruel, sadistic, and despicable to create and allow us to exist, even if it was not consciously aware of it. We are tortured. Tormented. Never satisfied, carrying with us to the grave questions that are never to be answered no matter how hard we strive or what systems we implement to do so. How many of us would trade EVERYTHING, including things we have never experienced or lusted after, to know the truth to all that the chaos of the universe has inadvertently imparted us the curiosity of? I, irrationally, know the answer; EVERY SINGLE FUCKING ONE OF US. MY fellow atheists who pish-tush this [I only live as I need to live! or I do not concern myself with the unknoweable; etc etc] are as deluded as the theists who claim to know all because of some stupid fucking book. NOTHING. IS. TRUE. We can only provide tangibility to that which our limited perceptions allow us. TRUE pursuit of understanding will lead one to the realization that we are NOT so advanced as to understand a void of space so great and immense as to be beyond true comprehension [oh sure; we hear the numbers "googleplexion-miles of space" and think "WOW IT' FOREVER IN MY MIND" but really...do we consider every single fucking continent, planet, star, system, galactic arm, galaxy, galaxian-system, UNIVERSE this may entail?! Fuck no, quit your fucking arrogance and stop pretending you could register every fucking material entity!]. TRUE grasping of knowledge will require an individual to shrug and go "I have no idea nor do I consider myself of conceit enough to think I could know." THIS is where atheists are superior to theists. Theists think they know all because they distill eternity into stupid, ignorant, humanized trains of thought but then try to pretend to cloak it behind "unknowability" simply because their idiotic goalposts have been pushed back to that point, whereas atheists imply say "it's NEVER been knowable, I don't try to because it's not provable." THIS IS A GENERALIZATION. Do not assume I assume it to be absolute fact that applies to all BUT IN GENERAL IT FITS CLOSE ENOUGH AND I FUCKING DEFY YOU ANY OF YOU, THEIST OR ATHEIST, TO DEFY ME OTHERWISE.

Anyway. I'm going to drink more blue-raspberry kool-aid to prevent the massive fucking hangover that is stalking me for tomorrow. You all...just think about this shit. Atheists will APPRECIATE it and probably find ways to rebut and intellectualize it where theists will just dumb this shit down to fit with their narrow cone-shaped views of "thought."

I defy you to prove me wrong. ANY of you.

My point is made, my perception shown. How many here have done the same so bluntly and honestly? Even amongst my fellow atheists...not many. Depressingly, not many at all...

Y'all have a good night...unless you reply before I pass out. I'll try to respond then.
RE: No fear.
<3 Love ya Creed Smile
Creed of Heresy Wrote:I defy you to prove me wrong. ANY of you.

Prove what wrong?
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
Do you mind until I, in my turn, get drunk tonight, to read and respond properly? Wink

Oh, but you are right. We are a tragedy of biology, seeking knowledge that is so much beyond us that even the realisation of exactly how much it is beyond us, is beyond us. And at the same time, seeking a meaning which simply is not there. Why then, we wonder, were we cursed... no, that would imply that it happened for a reason, and it didn't... why did we develop such a strong desire for meaning, when it can never be answered...

(and yeah, I agree that even the most fervent believers harbour a lot of doubt deep down, which is why they are either militant and/or simply stop their ears and refuse to listen. Because every new fact learnt and discovered may shatter the unstable cardhouse of their faith and the world, built upon its quicksand of a foundation).
But the eternal dilemma - how can we be happy amid the unhappiness of others?
TLBig GrinR:Why you make walls of text to demontrate that you're shitfaced? Big Grin

Yet, my most kudos usually are placed when I am so... Hmmmm...

You should stick to 3 liners at most.
In this thread it is opposite day, that is why I rated you up.

My only question is... can you reach your dick with your hand? Yes?! Well then nature is a glorious bastard!

Seriously, everything is amazing; be happy.
Everything is amazing yet everything is shit. Again, I'm drunk, and again I return to this particular thread...

I dunno...maybe intoxication brings down my inhibitions. As others claim it does. And my greatest inhibition is to be disliked. I strive so hard to make others like me. I keep straddling this incompatible line between appeasing others, and living for myself. But...I ask, are the two really mutually exclusive? Is there really no true way to live yourself while appeasing others? And can you prove it as such? If the chance is one in a billion where I can live for myself yet appease and appeal to others, should I still not take that chance? What do I lose, right?

LastPoet: Yeah you pretty much nailed it. I just get more introspective when intoxicated, so...again, the inhibitions...
InsanityX: I love ya too. ;D
Rhizomorph: It's opposite day so your rated me up. Tongue I'm drunk but I'm so drunk as to not notice a backhanded compliment that is that obviously backhanded. ;D That's ok. You're cool enough that I don't get all butthurt over it. And you are right. I CAN jack it. Nature was kind enough to allow me that, at least. I dunno if it really makes up for basically being born with an inevitable ever-looking death sentence over my head that I MUST be aware of 24/7, but...well, that's the human experience, I suppose...learning to live with the inevitable. Though this invites slippery slopes in so much that I not comfortable with allowing slipping upon. Inevitability of not making a difference, inevitability of not meaning anything, inevitability of the universe, inevitability of the point of existence...always the self. The self the self the self, always the self comes to bear in ration. Always the selfless comes to bear in biology [which itself is what bore out rationality]. Always both that comes to bear in philosophical musings. Jesus fucking Gianna Michael's titties CHRIST, this shit! You think too much on it you'll lose your fucking mind! Live for the moment, try not to care too much, apathy is thy savior, I guess, eh?
Vera: You need to get drunk tonight but unfortunately this has been up for three days so...yeah, bit delayed, this response.
Faith No More: Dude...fucked if I know. lmfao
(November 29, 2012 at 4:41 am)Creed of Heresy Wrote: I dunno...maybe intoxication brings down my inhibitions. As others claim it does. And my greatest inhibition is to be disliked. I strive so hard to make others like me. I keep straddling this incompatible line between appeasing others, and living for myself. But...I ask, are the two really mutually exclusive? Is there really no true way to live yourself while appeasing others? And can you prove it as such? If the chance is one in a billion where I can live for myself yet appease and appeal to others, should I still not take that chance? What do I lose, right?

Vera: You need to get drunk tonight but unfortunately this has been up for three days so...yeah, bit delayed, this response.

No worries, gets easier with time. I was the same but with a bit of age on my side I finally managed to stop giving a rat's behind what people think of me. Am still polite and what have you, but if you don't like me - well, it's your prerogative, just as it is mine not to care.

Got slightly inebriated last night and all of a sudden, the world became a happier, brighter place. Thank all the non-existent gods for rum.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLtFsiOFn-4
But the eternal dilemma - how can we be happy amid the unhappiness of others?
Why appease people? Unless they house or employ youl then you better appease them. Smile

You got alwayson in my Creed of Heresy!
You got Creed of Heresy in my alwayson!

tl;dr

[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  People ignore what they fear Der/die AtheistIn 13 1848 December 11, 2017 at 8:43 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Is the fear of irrational fears rational? ErGingerbreadMandude 26 6272 August 13, 2017 at 9:48 pm
Last Post: Losty
  Are stigmas and and prejudices, inherently based on fear, ignorance and hatred? WisdomOfTheTrees 26 5091 February 8, 2017 at 10:25 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Fear of dying because of my views dean211284 39 13602 July 6, 2012 at 9:25 am
Last Post: Napoléon
  Fear of death Jackalope 156 52540 January 13, 2012 at 1:36 pm
Last Post: houseofcantor
  Fear Loading Please Wait 33 7478 October 25, 2011 at 12:39 pm
Last Post: Welsh cake
  To know death is to control your fear Castle 19 7358 June 7, 2011 at 11:29 am
Last Post: Castle