Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 18, 2024, 5:04 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fear
Fear
What is fear?

Why are we afraid? What are we afraid of?

Here is my interpretation.

As a general consensus, of all of the people I ask this in real life (not a huge amount of people but my close friends mostly) they all agree that they are afraid of the unknown, and of death.

You'll always get the common answers too mixed in: height, snakes, spiders, men with chainsaws, the dark, deep water, etc.

What do these things have in common? They are all related to the unknown and death.

Why are people afraid of heights?

I can see how if you are high up on top of a building, you are afraid of falling down to the ground, which could kill you.

Why are people afraid of snakes, spiders and men with chainsaws?

Snakes, spiders and men with chainsaws kill people. (or cut trees down)

Why are people afraid of the dark, and deep water?

You can't see in the dark, and you have no idea what's beneath you in deep water. This leads to not knowing, which is the unknown.

I think those two things are what causes fear.

Why do Christians believe in such a far-fetched story about a cosmic Jewish zombie that can make them live forever if they symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him that they accept him as their master, so he can remove an evil force from their soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree.

They are told that if they sin, they will go to hell. It is that Christians are afraid of not knowing if they are going to spend eternity in heaven or hell after death.

Sad that humans could be so easily deceived in these modern times...

Honestly, I am not afraid of many things. I am not afraid of spending eternity in hell. I am not afraid of many unknown things. It is scary not knowing what is going to happen to my love ones after I die and things like that. I believe death is just like before we were born. Wink

My interpretation of what fear is, I'm sure you guys have your own ideas as well.
Make America Great Again! Trump 2020
RE: Fear
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UfC4u5GCy3I
Are you not afraid of death?
If I knew that there was a life beyond death, I'd not be as afraid from death as I am right now.
[Image: trkdevletbayraklar.jpg]
Üze Tengri basmasar, asra Yir telinmeser, Türük bodun ilingin törüngin kim artatı udaçı erti?
I don't see why people are afraid of death... Nothingness sounds like bliss to me.
Cunt
Death isn't anything to fear.

But feeling like your heart is going to explode? That's terrifying.

And not having any idea how to help someone with fibromyalgia while they are spasming in pain? That's horrifying, and sucks balls.
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day
(October 24, 2011 at 4:25 am)kılıç_mehmet Wrote: Are you not afraid of death?
If I knew that there was a life beyond death, I'd not be as afraid from death as I am right now.

Why be afraid of death?

It is merely an ending, after which there is nothing, certainly no me or you to experience it.

The only thing I'm afraid of is not having lived.
[Image: mybannerglitter06eee094.gif]
If you're not supposed to ride faster than your guardian angel can fly then mine had better get a bloody SR-71.
I think fear comes from the unknown, ignorance, and misunderstanding. There are some things that are healthy to fear like strange men lurking in alleyways, sharks, bears, venereal disease, etc.

Fear of death, especially in the moments before certain death, is certainly a natural fear.

Fear is complex.

Fear of the moments before death... I can understand that.
It might be the fear of pain, or the fear of regret.
Cunt
(October 24, 2011 at 4:25 am)kılıç_mehmet Wrote: Are you not afraid of death?

Strange, when i believed in Christianity, I was afraid of death. When I became an atheist and realized death was final, death didnt scare me as bad. In fact death now sounds peaceful to me.

I dont want to rush it...but it will come eventually.
I honestly don't think I've ever been afraid of death. It's coming, could happen any second, and I'll be none the wiser.

I can understand fear of pain. Anyone who fears death: Why?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  People ignore what they fear Der/die AtheistIn 13 1839 December 11, 2017 at 8:43 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Is the fear of irrational fears rational? ErGingerbreadMandude 26 6234 August 13, 2017 at 9:48 pm
Last Post: Losty
  Are stigmas and and prejudices, inherently based on fear, ignorance and hatred? WisdomOfTheTrees 26 5006 February 8, 2017 at 10:25 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  No fear. Creed of Heresy 9 3107 November 29, 2012 at 3:50 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Fear of dying because of my views dean211284 39 13592 July 6, 2012 at 9:25 am
Last Post: Napoléon
  Fear of death Jackalope 156 52209 January 13, 2012 at 1:36 pm
Last Post: houseofcantor
  To know death is to control your fear Castle 19 7356 June 7, 2011 at 11:29 am
Last Post: Castle