Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 12:03 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do atheists even need an objective moral system?
Lightbulb 
Do atheists even need an objective moral system?
The theists are always asking us "how do you get your moral values?" And then I see a few atheists try to justify some sort of objective moral system as an alternative to a theistic moral system grounded in God.

Is this even necessary?

Why can't morals be as subjective as liking cheese on apple pie?

When the theist asks "If there's no God, what's wrong with rape?" Instead of going through the trouble of positing some godless moral order, why can't we just reply "because I don't like rape"?

If the theist asks "but if the rapist likes rape, how is that wrong in a godless universe?" Instead of trying to argue that we have some universal duty to love our neighbor or other such nonsense I might reply "it isn't actually wrong. I just don't like rape and I want it illegal. Tough luck for rapists" The end.

As atheists we could say things are "right" or "wrong" in so far as they are consistent with certain basic values but these values ultimately seem arbitrary. A value might be "people living in harmony" and then based on that value you could construct certain "rights" and "wrongs" but these values are still purely arbitrary. You could instead have a value of "people living in chaos" and construct "rights" and "wrongs" based on that and it would be just as legitimate of a moral value. And why should that bother us?
My ignore list

"The lord doesn't work in mysterious ways, but in ways that are indistinguishable from his nonexistence."
-- George Yorgo Veenhuyzen quoted by John W. Loftus in The End of Christianity (p. 103).
RE: Do atheists even need an objective moral system?
"Right" and "wrong" and subjective. All moral/value systems are subjective.
[Image: SigBarSping_zpscd7e35e1.png]
(December 12, 2012 at 8:21 pm)Annik Wrote: "Right" and "wrong" and subjective. All moral/value systems are subjective.

I think that's what I essentially said. But thanks! Tongue
My ignore list

"The lord doesn't work in mysterious ways, but in ways that are indistinguishable from his nonexistence."
-- George Yorgo Veenhuyzen quoted by John W. Loftus in The End of Christianity (p. 103).
I was agreeing with you. Smile
[Image: SigBarSping_zpscd7e35e1.png]
No, we do not - and I'm not certain we could have one even if we wanted one.

As to the rape question - I'd turn that around on the questioner, and pose this questions (asked in the context of a world without an real or imaginary deity): Are you saying that we would be unjustified as a society in prohibiting and punishing rape?

To me, the answer is a resouding no, we would not be unjustified, because we as an empathetic society value our society free from rape. Why? Because we do.
Morality is a function of how we treat our fellow sentient beings. To say something is morally wrong is to say there is a victim who has been wronged. The reason rape is wrong and homosexuality is not is because with the former there is a victim and with the latter there isn't. Simple enough.

I don't know what is even meant by "objective morality"? If we say something is objective, that should mean we can measure it. Can we plug numbers into a spreadsheet and determine what is the moral course of action?

Similarly "subjective" doesn't mean all opinions are equal. Some subjective evaluations are better supported by logic and facts better then others. If a CEO tells shareholders "we had a good year" and the facts show they lost a lot of money, how is the CEO's subjective opinion, even if sincere, superior to the evaluation of the shareholder, "no, it was a bad year you buffoon"?

Finally, "GodWilsIt" doesn't answer anything. What makes the will of a deity any less subjective? All the theist is doing is moving the question of morality one step further away.
Atheist Forums Hall of Shame:
"The trinity can be equated to having your cake and eating it too."
...      -Lucent, trying to defend the Trinity concept
"(Yahweh's) actions are good because (Yahweh) is the ultimate standard of goodness. That’s not begging the question"
...       -Statler Waldorf, Christian apologist
When theists throw the term "objective morality" around they mean that certain actions or states are right and wrong independent of anybody's opinion.

(December 12, 2012 at 8:47 pm)DeistPaladin Wrote: Morality is a function of how we treat our fellow sentient beings. To say something is morally wrong is to say there is a victim who has been wronged. The reason rape is wrong and homosexuality is not is because with the former there is a victim and with the latter there isn't. Simple enough.

Why should we care if somebody has been wronged? Why is it wrong for somebody to be "wronged"?
My ignore list

I would think that the same logical processes which lead one to be philosophically atheistic would also make the idea of objective morality sound objectionable.
Objective morality isn't really possible. A bit of subjectivity can be good; morality needs the wiggle room, so to speak. If people can't be trusted to follow their own judgement, then objective morals would still be useless because no one would follow them.
(December 12, 2012 at 9:18 pm)Darkstar Wrote: Objective morality isn't really possible. A bit of subjectivity can be good; ...

But "good" is subjective... Confused Fall
My ignore list

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Conscience and the Moral Argument as Evidence for the Goodness of God. Nishant Xavier 162 8126 July 9, 2023 at 7:53 am
Last Post: Deesse23
  Moral universalism and theism Interaktive 20 1851 May 6, 2022 at 7:23 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  why do people still have faith in god even after seeing their land turned into dust? zempo 8 1462 June 20, 2021 at 8:16 am
Last Post: onlinebiker
  [Not Even A Little Bit Serious] Why AREN'T You An Atheist? BrianSoddingBoru4 28 3417 December 28, 2019 at 12:48 pm
Last Post: LastPoet
  No Financial Inclusion Today! No Financial Inclusion Tomarrah! Or For Eternity, Even mascale 21 2105 August 12, 2019 at 3:28 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  I enjoy far right atheists more than lgbt marxist atheists Sopra 4 2201 February 28, 2018 at 9:09 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Objective/subjective morals Jazzyj7 61 4520 February 19, 2018 at 9:20 pm
Last Post: Whateverist
  Religion stifles Moral Evolution Cecelia 107 15298 December 4, 2017 at 2:37 pm
Last Post: Astreja
  Does religion expose the shortcomings of empathy based moral systems henryp 19 2429 December 2, 2017 at 7:54 pm
Last Post: henryp
  Objective morality as a proper basic belief Little Henry 609 160387 July 29, 2017 at 1:02 am
Last Post: Astonished