Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 8:41 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Op/ed, violence and god as a broken concept
Op/ed, violence and god as a broken concept
It is obvious as to our current event, so in keeping this in mind, I am making a general criticism about WHY god as a concept is a broken claim. DO NOT read further if you are sensitive.

Before any theist reads any further, this is strictly about a concept as a claim, much like one would review a book or movie. I do hate ALL claims of the invisible brain theory as to cause of life. If it makes no sense to most that the sun is a god, why would life or nature, either the good or bad that happen, need a super hero vs a super villain to explain?

Now, I still to this day have yet to see a credible refutation to Epicurus and his problem with evil. And it turns my stomach knowing that real heros like Victoria Soto did the demonstrable, the provable and the valued. Yet our species time after time, be it enslavement of blacks, genocide of native Americans, 6 million Jews murdered, 13,000 drowned in the Japanese Tsunami, yet as a species we still allow our brains to concoct and swallow fictitious super hero in some false sense of hope to make sense of life.

Now, as hard as it may be to read the following, READ IT, and after reading it please give me one good reason WHY you think there is a cosmic man with a cape?

26 human beings were turned into Swiss Cheese. 20 were kids, many probably shot in the head. That would mean their skulls were exploded like Gallaghar smashing a watermelon. That would mean their brains and or guts splattered on the floor and walls.

No sane person if 100% of the time, had the power to stop harm to their loved ones, much less kids, would allow such. It makes even less sense to me when a fictitious "all powerful" god is inserted. What does make sense to me is that a disturbed person got a hold of guns and riffles and murdered kids.

No sane person would hire a baby sitter if they said "I sat 99 kids. 33 I shot a molester before they got to the kid. 33 I allowed the molester to molest the kid, but shot him before he left the house. And 33 I let the molester molest and murder the kid and let the molester go".

Why am I being so harsh, especially in such trying time? Because I am tired of the horrors in life being used to prop up what is clearly superstition. If we are going to, as a species reduce harm and find answers to reduce harm, then we cannot afford to cling to the past anymore than it would make sense to still believe the earth is flat.

You do not need a belief in Allah or Vishnu or Thor or Jesus to feel pain. You do not need a super hero vs a super villain to know what happened at that grade school, or murder in general, or war in general, or death in general, is something no human wants affecting them.

Some would accuse me of being insensitive to this moment. So when is the moment? To me demanding my silence in the face of absurdity as an answer as to why such horrors exist would be to excuse the Dark Ages and witch hunts. It is to excuse the subjugation of woman and forcing them to wear Burkas. It is to excuse the false beliefs of the past like epilepsy being a demon rather than a natural brain defect. It is to excuse all superstitions in the face of clear reality.

Those poor kids died for the same reason 700,000 kids worldwide die from drinking dirty water. They died for the same reason a robber murders someone for money. It isn't that we want those things to happen, no sane person does. Bad things happen because they do and we'd be better served in order to reduce the risk of bad things happening by scrapping such superstitions and look to study the environments that lead to such conditions so that we can prevent the bad things in life as much as possible.

Reality isn't a utopia, and it can be quite cruel and violent. But sugar coating it with claims of the unprovable and personal predilections of wishful thinking will not and has never solved what in reality is our collective human existence in problem solving. To accept reality does not mean we lack empathy and emotions, it merely means that we should not conflate reality into Superman vs Lex Luthor.

20 kids and 6 adults died in a horror most of us will not face. But just like we do not think the volcano is an angry god, the good and bad in life are better suited to study, rather than inserting comic book answers into a harsh reality, if we wish to resolve the problems in our finite existence.

Victoria is who we should honor, not Jesus, not Allah, not Vishnu. She was real and she did the ultimate compassionate act and will not come back and did so not looking for attention or intent to create a club for people to worship her. It is one thing to mourn. It is another to seek false solace in books and claims and tribalism written in a scientifically ignorant past.
RE: Op/ed, violence and god as a broken concept
No sane person would imagine, let alone describe in detail, the fate of the victim's heads using a detailed description and an analogy to Galleger. I stopped reading this sick shit after I saw that. People like you need to be examined, perhaps if the perpertrator was examined, this wouldn't have happened...
(December 17, 2012 at 10:39 am)catfish Wrote: No sane person would imagine, let alone describe in detail, the fate of the victim's heads using a detailed description and an analogy to Galleger. I stopped reading this sick shit after I saw that. People like you need to be examined, perhaps if the perpertrator was examined, this wouldn't have happened...

Sick is what the killer did. I did nothing wrong in describing reality. This is merely a kneejerk reaction on your part. Should we not have a Holocaust museum because it depicts the reality of Jews getting slaughtered?

Otherwise our species never would have developed medical examiners who open up bodies to solve murders. Otherwise we should not have a museum depicting dead Jews and real pictures to remind humanity what how we should not behave.

Many punishments for DUIs have the convicted go into a morgue to view dead bodies from DUIs to show them what drinking and driving can do.

So what you are asking me to do here is to gloss over what a gun can do to a human body, sorry, I cannot and will not. Maybe if more people saw REAL death guns wouldn't be such a problem in our society.

These NRA assholes and right wingers need to see the crime scene photos. You don't change reality by glossing it over. I damn sure know that the family members of the victims are going to want something done about this. Pretending that it didn't happen that way is absurd and dangerous to the future of preventing such things.

I can even look back at the "shock films" in drivers ed and know why they were shown to me. Because cars are weapons, and so are guns. DO NOT expect me to gloss over reality.

Guns are sold like candy in this country. On average 32 people a day die from gun death. I think we need to SHOW, especially teens, the reality of what guns do to a human body.
You do realize the majority of those daily gun deaths are done with stolen, illegally sold, or smuggled guns right?

You also have to factor in what kind of gun related death it was. What's the percentage of murders, what's the percentage of suicides, what's the percentage of negligent discharges?
(December 17, 2012 at 11:15 am)Great Ape Wrote: You do realize, the majority of those daily gun deaths are done with stolen, illegally sold, or smuggled guns right?

Taking away everyone elses legal guns isn't going to stop gun violence.

So? Bank robbers steal cars sometimes to rob banks. So we shouldn't have speed limits because some people steal cars to rob banks?

We vet CIA agents to protect the president. We vet cops psychologically before we hand them a gun. Please tell me why that woman or society thinks it is ok for that many guns to be in the house of a doomsday nutter with a son with mental illness.

Sorry, your argument is nothing more than an excuse to do nothing.

This is the same crap argument that Nader had the fight the car companies with when they complained about him complaining rightfully about how unsafe cars were at the time.

Our laws and conditions allow for too much gun violence and to suggest that because illegal things will happen no matter what, so we shouldn't do anything, is patently absurd and downright dangerous and will allow more things like this to happen.
(December 17, 2012 at 11:26 am)Brian37 Wrote: So? Bank robbers steal cars sometimes to rob banks. So we shouldn't have speed limits because some people steal cars to rob banks?

This holds no relevance to what we are talking about what-so-ever.

You may feel as though my ideas are excuses to do nothing but I feel your ideas are extremely shallow minded and unfair.

So we arrive at our stalemate.
(December 17, 2012 at 11:32 am)Great Ape Wrote:
(December 17, 2012 at 11:26 am)Brian37 Wrote: So? Bank robbers steal cars sometimes to rob banks. So we shouldn't have speed limits because some people steal cars to rob banks?

This holds no relevance to what we are talking about what-so-ever.

You may feel as though my ideas are excuses to do nothing but I feel your ideas are extremely shallow minded and unfair.

So we arrive at our stalemate.

Tell that to the 26 dead and their family members.
The bodies are still warm and liberals are standing over them pointing their fingers.

Stop using the death of 20 children as an example for your political cause.

It's fucking sickening.
(December 17, 2012 at 10:39 am)catfish Wrote: No sane person would imagine, let alone describe in detail, the fate of the victim's heads using a detailed description and an analogy to Galleger. I stopped reading this sick shit after I saw that. People like you need to be examined, perhaps if the perpertrator was examined, this wouldn't have happened...

So typical of your type, Catf.
You believe in a fucking god who lets shit like this happen and then sit on your fucking ass afterward and pretend to "pray" to the fucking thing not to let it happen again.

Meanwhile, you harp on any little tidbit so you can pompously say "I won't read this any further" to spare your feelings about your fairy tale putz of a god.

Fuck you, douchebag....and your fucking god.
(December 17, 2012 at 11:38 am)Great Ape Wrote: The bodies are still warm and liberals are standing over them pointing their fingers.

Stop using the death of 20 children as an example for your political cause.

It's fucking sickening.

What the fuck? THIS IS NOT POLITICAL, FACTS ARE NOT POLITICAL!

Out of the past 50 years AMERICA has had the MOST mass shootings out of all the westernized countries. 32 people a day die from gun violence. THOSE ARE FACTS having nothing to do with politics.

DAMN RIGHT I AM GOING TO USE THEM, I AM FUCKING TIRED OF SEEING SHIT LIKE THIS ON THE NEWS! Be it a mass shooting or any type of gun death.

So if now is not a good time, please tell me, because in the next 24 hours 32 people will die because of gun use.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The concept of atonement Foxaèr 11 1515 November 26, 2022 at 9:15 am
Last Post: Objectivist
  Question about the whole NDE concept and Dr. Jeffrey Long Violeta-1998 51 7030 November 21, 2016 at 10:23 am
Last Post: houseofcantor
  Sexism and Violence exist in ALL religions.... Brian37 6 3049 March 20, 2016 at 9:36 am
Last Post: Brian37
  Violence is the Natural conclusion of Religion. Spooky 34 5961 March 17, 2015 at 2:22 pm
Last Post: Smaug
  Islam, the middle east, and how arabs are a broken people. shapb 26 5734 December 27, 2014 at 11:23 am
Last Post: Spooky
  I Really Hate The Concept Of Free Will Nope 84 13692 December 4, 2014 at 8:04 pm
Last Post: Schwa
  God is love. God is just. God is merciful. Chad32 62 19381 October 21, 2014 at 9:55 am
Last Post: Cheerful Charlie
  Concept of God (In-depth) peacemaker 18 4057 May 2, 2013 at 4:43 pm
Last Post: CleanShavenJesus
  Why do "religions" often lead to violence? RichardP 13 5304 January 28, 2013 at 7:59 pm
Last Post: HorribleOffensiveScouser91
  Op/ED g/God, broken concept Brian37 45 17420 September 14, 2012 at 6:28 am
Last Post: Brian37