Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 8:25 pm

Poll: Could a god prove that he was God?
This poll is closed.
Yes.
81.82%
9 81.82%
Never, no matter the evidences.
18.18%
2 18.18%
Total 11 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[Serious] Could an omnipotent and omniscient god prove that he was God?
Could an omnipotent and omniscient god prove that he was God?
In his seminal book, The God Delusion, Professor Richard Dawkins states the following:

Quote:"If he existed and chose to reveal it, God himself could clinch the argument noisily and unequivocally in his favor."

If there was a god, could he prove that he was God?
RE: Could an omnipotent and omniscient god prove that he was God?
I don't know. I'm not omniscient.
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
An omnipotent god would be able to make everyone mentally aware of his existence. He would also know what evidence everyone would personally require to realize that he existed and he would provide said evidence.
"The world is my country; all of humanity are my brethren; and to do good deeds is my religion." (Thomas Paine)
(January 10, 2023 at 8:29 am)Gwaithmir Wrote: An omnipotent god would be able to make everyone mentally aware of his existence. He would also know what evidence everyone would personally require to realize that he existed and he would provide said evidence.

One wonders why he does not do this.  I would not even ask for money; some flowers would be sufficient, and, of course, God would know what types of flowers would be sufficient to convince me, even if I did not "know".
Can an all powerful god make himself not all knowing?
Genesis 3:9
New International Version
9 But the Lord God called to the man, “Where are you?”

Does god just fake it?

An omnipotent God can convince anyone it wants to that it's real, but it cannot prove objectively that it created the universe, becaue it's omnipotent. If it didn't create the universe and is omnipotent, it could manufacture any evidence it wanted, it wouldn't be possible to know if it was being truthful. Heck, it wouldn't even have to be omnipotent, just able to manipulate our perceptions. But if it wants you to believe, you'll believe.
I'm not anti-Christian. I'm anti-stupid.
I think the real question is what could a god do that in principle could not be faked by, say, advanced aliens? By prove I presume that you mean make so that we believe it is undeniably true that God exists. Unfortunately, many things that fall short of a god can do this. On the individual level, all it takes is a brain tumor or epilepsy. So the question turns on God being able to provide us with a judgment that is infallible. Short of changing what we are I do not imagine that this can be done. The idea that the communication channel that runs from the perceived to the perceiver is wholly dependent upon the properties of the transmitting entity is old and fraught with problems. As much of our perception is within the purview of our brains' operation, it doesn't seem possible to eliminate potential sources of error.

This of course hinges a bit on what you mean by 'prove'. If by prove you mean something less than establishing absolute certainty, then I'm not sure the question doesn't lose its value. We already have people convinced by evidence that provides less than complete certainty of the conclusion. That's a sliding scale with no well-defined stopping points.
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
(January 10, 2023 at 9:43 am)h4ym4n Wrote: Genesis 3:9
New International Version
9 But the Lord God called to the man, “Where are you?”

Does god just fake it?

Believers can easily explain this one away and have been doing so for centuries; they call it God's "middle knowledge", although, one's mileage will vary quite a bit in the realm of theology.
John 14:6
Jesus answered, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.

Meaning God doesnt give a f. If you want God, first worship Jesus. And then you could meet God. Otherwise, f off.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Could God be impotent? Fake Messiah 7 1076 February 25, 2023 at 10:18 am
Last Post: brewer
  Does Ezekiel 23:20 prove that God is an Incel Woah0 26 2475 September 17, 2022 at 5:12 pm
Last Post: Woah0
  Am I right to assume, that theists cannot prove that I am not god? Vast Vision 116 32096 March 5, 2021 at 6:39 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
  11-Year-Old College Grad Wants to Pursue Astrophysics to Prove God’s Existence Foxaèr 49 6641 August 2, 2018 at 4:51 pm
Last Post: GUBU
  The little church that could. Chad32 21 4050 May 25, 2018 at 4:06 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  These Guys Could Give Religion A Good Name. Minimalist 2 789 March 15, 2018 at 12:45 am
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  Could Hell exist? Europa! 20 4558 September 16, 2017 at 4:46 pm
Last Post: Chad32
  Why most arguments for God prove God. Mystic 67 8485 March 25, 2017 at 12:57 pm
Last Post: Fred Hampton
  Would you attack the Church if you could? Macoleco 108 13666 December 19, 2016 at 2:31 am
Last Post: energizer bunny
  Could Ireland be restored? EringoBragh 28 4173 August 25, 2016 at 7:07 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4