Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 12:11 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Suicide Prevention
Suicide Prevention
Yesterday at noon, while I was outside my office having a smoke, somebody jumped from the parking garage across the street, resulting in a fatality. This is the third time in as many years that a suicide was completed in that exact same spot. I was unlucky enough to be a witness in 2009 - the visual of a broken 15 year old body on the sidewalk is not one that you can easily erase from your memory.

December, 2009
May, 2011
December, 2012

The story here is not that my place of employment is unfortunately located near a popular suicide location, but that attempted and completed suicide (at least locally) is on the rise.

What can we, both individually and collectively, do to help people and prevent suicide?

RE: Suicide Prevention
Dont drive people into suicide and being aware what consequences ones actions have on another person.
I know of a bullying victim who hanged himself in his fathers garage, when the bullies where interviewed they said "We were only having fun".
Aswell as I read of a young man who cut his head off, at the buisness where he was working at because he was bullied so viciously.

And spread awareness that the option to talk about problems exists and should be used. There is no shame in talking about them and it certainly isn`t a sighn of weakness.
I know of a family were the father who was constantly happy and showed absolutly no sighn of depression suddently hanged himself one day.
(December 18, 2012 at 4:47 pm)Cthulhu Dreaming Wrote: What can we, both individually and collectively, do to help people and prevent suicide?

Don't tempt people with the promise that if they commit suicide, they can avoid the unspeakable fate of sucking Jesus cock for an eternity.
I don't understand why people would choose to kill themselves by jumping off a building. Aren't there much easier and less painful ways to kill yourself?
My ignore list

"The lord doesn't work in mysterious ways, but in ways that are indistinguishable from his nonexistence."
-- George Yorgo Veenhuyzen quoted by John W. Loftus in The End of Christianity (p. 103).
(December 18, 2012 at 5:19 pm)teaearlgreyhot Wrote: I don't understand why people would choose to kill themselves by jumping off a building. Aren't there much easier and less painful ways to kill yourself?

If you jump off a reasonably high building, chances are your end will be physically essentially painless.
(December 18, 2012 at 5:19 pm)teaearlgreyhot Wrote: I don't understand why people would choose to kill themselves by jumping off a building. Aren't there much easier and less painful ways to kill yourself?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Complet...of_Suicide

I wouldn`t ask the question actualy.

The case with the kid I mentioned. He deliberatly planned out and built a contraption which would cut of his head with a chainsaw and make a total mess.

At least that`s what I heared of.

He wanted the people who drove him into doing this "to clean the mess up"

That`s not what the newspapers said, but I heared that it was in his last letter.
As far as kids go anti bullying programs are a good start. Permanently culling the herd of those who claim religious exemptions to anti bullying laws would be a better one.
Save a life. Adopt a greyhound.
[Image: JUkLw58.gif]

I suspect it has something to do with buildings / bridges and gravity being ubiquitous, high-G impacts being universally fatal, as well as the method having essentially an immediate point-of-no-return.

In other words, they choose to jump, because they're fucking serious about it.
Most of all, we need to erase the stigma of asking for help with mental issues. Too many people see those with mental health problems as weak-minded, causing those who suffer to abstain from seeking help to avoid the negative stigma. There is also the perception that a lot of depression is "just in your head," and those that see it that way do not recognize it as a legitimate health issue.

In my experience, the two scenarios that ended the worst when someone struggled with depression were cases in which the person involved was afraid to ask for the help they truly needed.

(BTW, CD, I am no stranger to this kind of stuff, so feel free to PM me if you want get some things off your chest.)
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
(December 18, 2012 at 5:43 pm)Faith No More Wrote: (BTW, CD, I am no stranger to this kind of stuff, so feel free to PM me if you want get some things off your chest.)

Thanks, FNM. I'm well aware of your personal tragedy, I would imagine that we have similar backgrounds in that regard. This is, unfortunately, not my first time at the dance.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Assisted suicide and pro abortion. ignoramus 17 1800 June 20, 2019 at 5:55 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Effectiveness of rating scales for suicide risk brewer 18 2577 April 10, 2017 at 10:29 pm
Last Post: Faith No More
  Look Out, Suicide Article brewer 0 696 December 22, 2016 at 5:38 pm
Last Post: brewer
Heart Suicide ShaMan 10 1661 August 13, 2014 at 12:27 am
Last Post: Jackalope