Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 8:35 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ordinary vs fundamentalist Christian
Ordinary vs fundamentalist Christian
I'm talking about Christians here because obviously I don't have much dealings with any other religions but I suppose the question is equally applicable to all faiths.

At what point do we think that the level of belief and commitment tips over to becoming fundamentalism? Where's the line, if indeed there is one?

I've known quite a few Christians in my time ranging from people like my daughters singing teacher who is quite liberal, fully accepts evolution etc. all the way through to a friend I worked with who was a born again Christian and as nutty as they come.

But at what point does the singing teacher turn into my nutty friend?
[Image: cinjin_banner_border.jpg]
RE: Ordinary vs fundamentalist Christian
Without thinking about it too long, I would say when the tolerance stops and the mind closes up
When they start pushing their own personal prejudices on their kids:
http://societalsickness.files.wordpress....-hates.jpg

Or when they start saying that the bible is literal in its entirety O.o

In truthfulness, I think it's best to deal with them on a case-by-case basis and once you start pulling faces of disbelief ( O_o? ) you know you've got a nut.
I would think that fundamentalism is when theists will never shift from their belief regardless. As - I think it was - Kurt Wise who said how he would never shift from his belief in God even if all the evidence in the world turned against creationism. I haven't got TGD with me atm as I'm on public comp, I think it was him though... but anyway - fundamentalism=sticking with the fundamentals no matter what I would have thought. Or at least that attitude if they in fact lost their faith, that wouldn't mean they weren't a fundamentalist. It's simply I think that - fundamentalism is this attitude of never shifting from their belief, it's absolutely fundamental, regardless of reasoning and evidence. And this is self-admitted.

EvF
(August 16, 2009 at 9:30 am)Darwinian Wrote: At what point do we think that the level of belief and commitment tips over to becoming fundamentalism? Where's the line, if indeed there is one?

I've known quite a few Christians in my time ranging from people like my daughters singing teacher who is quite liberal, fully accepts evolution etc. all the way through to a friend I worked with who was a born again Christian and as nutty as they come.

But at what point does the singing teacher turn into my nutty friend?

In other words, they become sort of like extremists, right? Well, I'm not sure if that's an accurate or appropriate term to use, do correct me if I'm wrong.

I, too, have a long time friend who suddenly proclaimed one fine day, that the good things occurring in his life were 'miracles of God' and overnight became this highly enthusiastic Christian. He even tried to preach to me once or twice. I found it bizarre because he wasn't religious previously, at all.

Anyway, I reckon the line is crossed when their lives start to revolve around their religion. Thinking
The dark side awaits YOU...AngryAtheism
"Only the dead have seen the end of war..." - Plato
“Those who wish to base their morality literally on the Bible have either not read it or not understood it...” - Richard Dawkins
Most other Christian cults seem to think Catholics are fundamentalist (as well as not really Christian at all) ... mind you I agree with them on the fundy bit, frankly any religion that encourages it's representatives to live abnormal (celibate) lives is a bit fucking nuts!

Kyu
Angry Atheism
Where those who are hacked off with the stupidity of irrational belief can vent their feelings!
Come over to the dark side, we have cookies!

Kyuuketsuki, AngryAtheism Owner & Administrator
I would think that... theists who stick with the fundamentals of their religion... and won't shift from those 'fundamentals' no matter what... =fundamentalists.

EvF
In my experience, the " born again " variety is the worst.
HuhA man is born to a virgin mother, lives, dies, comes alive again and then disappears into the clouds to become his Dad. How likely is that?
Born again = protestant IMO. Isn't there a generic classification for fundamentalism?

Merriam-Webster said:-
1 a often capitalized : a movement in 20th century Protestantism emphasizing the literally interpreted Bible as fundamental to Christian life and teaching b : the beliefs of this movement c : adherence to such beliefs
2 : a movement or attitude stressing strict and literal adherence to a set of basic principles <Islamic fundamentalism> <political fundamentalism>

(So well done on that bozo! Big Grin)

Wiki says:-
"Richard Dawkins has used the term to characterize religious advocates as clinging to a stubborn, entrenched position that defies reasoned argument or contradictory evidence."

(bonus point for Evie)

That pretty much describes my understanding too.
(August 16, 2009 at 3:54 pm)fr0d0 Wrote: Wiki says:-
"Richard Dawkins has used the term to characterize religious advocates as clinging to a stubborn, entrenched position that defies reasoned argument or contradictory evidence."

(bonus point for Evie)

That pretty much describes my understanding too.

Well fundamentalism is just when you stick to, and wont budge from no matter what the 'fundamentals' of your religion isn't it? I mean... that's why it's fundamentalism, right? It's a very obstinate attitude lol.

EvF

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Confessions of a former Christian fundamentalist. Jehanne 56 14334 December 27, 2015 at 6:09 pm
Last Post: Delicate
  The Very Model of a Modern Fundamentalist TheRocketSurgeon 12 3834 September 11, 2015 at 1:25 pm
Last Post: kramazeek
  Today, I disowned my fundamentalist christian uncle. bluemonday 24 6532 March 1, 2014 at 5:06 pm
Last Post: My imaginary friend is GOD
  Fundamentalist Mormon child labor (CNN report) Doubting_Thomas 1 1499 December 8, 2012 at 1:27 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Fundamentalist Pastor Takes to YouTube to Fault Women for All Social Ills Ziploc Surprise 9 5434 May 13, 2012 at 4:26 pm
Last Post: orogenicman
  Signs you're a fundamentalist Christian Doubting Thomas 81 22857 June 10, 2011 at 5:19 pm
Last Post: Faith No More
  can an ordinary god predict future? annatar 9 3733 August 22, 2010 at 1:52 pm
Last Post: annatar