Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 10:50 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Inspirational Non-Religious Music for Every Occasion?
Inspirational Non-Religious Music for Every Occasion?
Hello,

I grew up fundamentalist Christian and de-converted at the age of 19; I have been happily agnostic ever since (it has been 9 years now).

Over the years I have felt increasingly more and more detached from religious society and culture and wish to engulf myself in a culture that reflects what I believe and feel. Whenever I see someone praying or singing a religious song, I feel nothing whatsoever in my heart because to me, it represents something that society needs to mature from and grow out of; it is all dead to me. I need to positively affirm and celebrate my values through media and culture.

I would like to be able to listen to and sing songs that reflect what I believe; songs perhaps of a humanist nature that reflect the good and the bad of humanity; songs that celebrate the following ideals:

- Standing up for what one believes in
- Free-thinking
- Those who stood up to religious oppressors and overcame
- Tapping into the good parts of human nature
- Aspiring and striving for a better future and a better society that does not have god in it

And other similar and/or related themes.

This section for my fellow Americans:
The Founding Fathers believed that god created us with inalienable rights; but god is a delusion, and I affirm that human rights are innate and that we do not need a delusion such as god to bestow upon us such rights.

Are there any patriotic or human-centered songs that celebrate and affirm human rights and/or pride in country in a deeply-moving manner, similar to the deeply-moving feeling that is evoked by current American patriotic songs, but without the god component?

This also brings about another topic: occasions. Am I odd for no longer wishing to celebrate Christmas, as it is both a pagan and Christian holiday? Christmas does not embody anything I believe in: the birth of Jesus, consumerism, Catholic mass, expected gift exchanges, etc. The entire holiday disappoints me.

And the same for easter. Are there atheist/freethinker/humanist occasions and holidays that I can celebrate instead?

Thank you to anyone who may respond.

P.S. Please, no rap. I can't stand rap.
RE: Inspirational Non-Religious Music for Every Occasion?
We celebrated festivus (dec 23) as well as christmas this year, unadorned aluminium pole and everything.
Nemo me impune lacessit.
RE: Inspirational Non-Religious Music for Every Occasion?
Well, for what it's worth, Humphrey Bogart was born on December 25th. Maybe it'd be a good idea to celebrate the day as a celebration of one of cinema's greatest actors.
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Music to fall asleep Fake Messiah 2 638 August 29, 2023 at 5:59 am
Last Post: FrustratedFool
  Atheist music deleted 29 2703 August 13, 2023 at 4:45 pm
Last Post: MR. Macabre 666
  ABBA - phoney music for phoney people onlinebiker 7 1042 November 5, 2022 at 7:46 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Official Christmas Music Thread Foxaèr 46 2428 January 4, 2021 at 6:09 am
Last Post: rado84
  Evolution of Music from 1400 BC till the present day GrandizerII 67 10463 December 8, 2019 at 3:15 am
Last Post: Alex K
  Music You're Listening To: SofaKingHigh 3266 148313 July 2, 2019 at 1:32 am
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  Anderson .Paak & The Free Nationals: NPR Music Tiny Desk Concert Aegon 0 290 October 20, 2018 at 3:17 pm
Last Post: Aegon
  This commercial pisses me off every time I see it. brewer 12 1357 June 28, 2018 at 8:29 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  Celebrating womanhood through music Foxaèr 34 3823 April 13, 2018 at 11:41 am
Last Post: brewer
  So.... I want to make music with... Software. Any help? ErGingerbreadMandude 23 3176 August 3, 2017 at 5:45 pm
Last Post: Alex K