Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 7:12 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NES and Other Eating Disorders
NES and Other Eating Disorders
Hi guys!

I didn't want to derail the Vegan thread, although, since the OP has been banned, it's probably moot. I think it would be interesting to have a discussion about eating disorders. I'm curious about your impressions regarding them, along with your experiences, and would love if you would share.

I got diagnosed with this a couple of years ago:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Night_eating_syndrome
RE: NES and Other Eating Disorders
Never new until just now but I would say I would have NES since reading the link. I have always felt that my eating habit is not really good for me. I have been known to comfort eat when I am down.

From what I have read some eating disorders are not only devastating for the person but also for family and friends trying to get mental health help for the person.
Man, I clearly have NES... or maybe it is because I smoke all my weed at night. Hmm...
Cunt
I eat most of my daily caloric intake at the evening meal, I will get hungry later in the night, if I have a light meal at dinner. I think the treatment is for the severely affected though and the whole issue of NES is not something to be taken lightly.

Are you under treatment rexbex?
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
I am (psychotherapy, nutrition counseling, anti-depressants)... the thing is, I was diagnosed, but I don't really fit. People with NES tend to binge eat, and then struggle with being overweight. Also, it's often self-inflicted (like anorexia). I don't binge, and I struggle with being underweight, and I honestly wish eating during the day didn't make me sick. I combat it by eating cottage cheese or broth during the day and I drink a lot of water. Also, my doctor thinks my eating issues come as a result of my chemical depression, which isn't usually the case in NES. Usually it's vice-versa.

So, even though I've been diagnosed, I'm not entirely convinced. I even feel like the second opinion I got was confirmation bias.
Are you able to get more than these two medical opinions?
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
I actually got a third, sort-of. It was a doctor friend who told me that, no matter what was going on with me, the prescription would be the same: antidepressants, nutrition, and therapy (although, I have been taking a break from therapy, and the nutrition counseling is intermittent). So, I know stuff is up, and I'm doing my best to balance everything. Although, with health-care costs, me having no insurance, and a fear of my medical history influencing my future insurance prospects, it's really hard to delve into things too deeply. I'm convinced it's something beyond just the depression, and very possibly an eating disorder, I'm just not convinced it's NES. Mostly, though, I was just asking if anyone else on the board has any experience with eating disorders and how they or their loved ones cope. I just think it's a relevant topic in general Smile
I suffer from SNES and N64.
My ignore list

"The lord doesn't work in mysterious ways, but in ways that are indistinguishable from his nonexistence."
-- George Yorgo Veenhuyzen quoted by John W. Loftus in The End of Christianity (p. 103).
It is a very interesting topic rexbex. My eating habits are strange compared to so called "normal" people.

As for me I eat when I am hungry.... if that is @ midnight so be it! As long as my weekly caloric intake is up to my energy out put my medico felt there was no issue.

What is is that you do eat?

Tut Tut
No TEGH we are not talking about nintendo! Hmph
(January 15, 2013 at 4:03 am)teaearlgreyhot Wrote: I suffer from SNES and N64.

Mine's more like PS2.

(January 15, 2013 at 4:45 am)KichigaiNeko Wrote: It is a very interesting topic rexbex. My eating habits are strange compared to so called "normal" people.

As for me I eat when I am hungry.... if that is @ midnight so be it! As long as my weekly caloric intake is up to my energy out put my medico felt there was no issue.

What is is that you do eat?

Tut Tut
No TEGH we are not talking about nintendo! Hmph

My problem is, most of the time I'm cooking against the clock. Like, I lack an appetite most of the day. I end up choking down crackers, cottage cheese or a tomato, or drinking a smoothie, but even then, it's hard to keep it down. By somewhere between two and four PM, I'm ravenous, and sometimes I just go somewhere to eat since I'm lacking the energy to cook, but sometimes I worry about driving. After late afternoon, I'm fine to eat. In fact, I can really EAT sometimes. It's just not enough caloric intake to sustain a healthy weight. I really love food and I really really love to cook. I actually recently moved to a place in which my roommate is not only aware of my nut allergy, but completely respectful of it, so I don't worry about contamination in the kitchen. My last roommate liked to roast chestnuts in the oven! I swear, she was trying to kill me!

Anyway, it sounds like what you're doing, Kichi, works for you. Thank you for your interest. I didn't mean for this thread to turn into a "me" thing, but it definitely helps to explain it a little Smile

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Serious] A thought I had about some people's view on some things medical and other things ShinyCrystals 15 804 October 22, 2023 at 1:31 pm
Last Post: ShinyCrystals
  One of these things is not like the other ones Angrboda 1 399 December 6, 2021 at 12:55 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Fun phrases from other countries/cultures. Gawdzilla Sama 3 334 August 3, 2020 at 1:33 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Bannings, Reports, and Other Actions? no one 21 2874 June 11, 2020 at 7:27 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Other forums you belong to... arewethereyet 9 839 June 8, 2020 at 7:50 am
Last Post: Gwaithmir
  Other forums just aren't the same Violet 18 1410 May 3, 2020 at 6:51 pm
Last Post: Violet
  Andrew Zimmern, "What's Eating America".. Brian37 36 3717 February 17, 2020 at 11:32 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Interlocutor and other ugly words. Succubus 0 208 March 29, 2019 at 10:03 pm
Last Post: Succubus
  When Morons Find Each Other Minimalist 7 1046 November 30, 2018 at 11:24 am
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  Any other guys experience this? Foxaèr 61 8561 April 16, 2018 at 11:01 am
Last Post: johan