Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 3:16 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Creationism and the US Education System
Creationism and the US Education System
As most of you rationally-thinking people on the forums, there is a mountain of evidence supporting the Darwinian Theory of Evolution.
As of now, we know of fourteen species of hominin (this number is disputed). The facial structure of tetrapods is undoubtedly similar to that of fish (eyes on top, nostrils in middle, and jaw on the bottom). All living organisms share nucleic acid to some extent.
The list of evidence expands far past just those three statements.
But my point isn't to inform you upon what most of you already know.
To start out, I live in the United States. Within the United States, about forty-six percent of adults are Young Earth Creationists, which not surprisingly, scares me. To believe in such ridiculous stories created by ignorant, illiterate desert dwellers at this point in history is completely unbelievable.
That is over two in five adults, which is completely inexcusable.
I place the blame directly towards the US Education System.
You see, being thirteen, I know how it is. They have to respect religion despite how laughably stupid it is. My belief is that schools do not do enough to properly teach evolution.
As rude as it is, teachers have to tell the children that creationism is outdated myth created by men whom were unable to properly explain the world around them.
I mean, teachers are allowed to refute alien conspiracies, chemtrail conspiracies, apocalypse conspiracies, astrology, and various other forms of pseudoscience.
Yet not anything religion-based.
You tell me, what are your thoughts, ideas, and comments upon this topic.
Also, how would you improve the education system if you possessed the power to do so?
RE: Creationism and the US Education System
Quote:I place the blame directly towards the US Education System.

Lad, as long as school boards are elected by the same fucking morons who elect tea bagging assholes to congress they will never be free of political influence from the ignorant god-freaks. The problem is political not educational. And since we live in an erstwhile democracy the problem is ultimately us.
(January 14, 2013 at 8:45 pm)Minimalist Wrote:
Quote:I place the blame directly towards the US Education System.

Lad, as long as school boards are elected by the same fucking morons who elect tea bagging assholes to congress they will never be free of political influence from the ignorant god-freaks. The problem is political not educational. And since we live in an erstwhile democracy the problem is ultimately us.
Sad
I think you said you were 13. If you learn nothing else here you should learn that there are no simple solutions to complex problems.

It's only the bible thumpers who think that quoting a bible verse is an acceptable answer to almost any question.
(January 14, 2013 at 8:45 pm)Minimalist Wrote: Lad, as long as school boards are elected by the same fucking morons who elect tea bagging assholes to congress they will never be free of political influence from the ignorant god-freaks. The problem is political not educational. And since we live in an erstwhile democracy the problem is ultimately us.

What we need are more open atheists to run for office. I can't hold up the whole country by myself, and there are putatively 1 in 5 who are either non-believers or do not cares.
As far as school board posts go, the single most important attribute to getting elected to a school board is having children.
Having an education, a particular religious slant, or caring about children is not good enough.

"Be ye not lost amongst Precept of Order." - Book of Uterus, 1:5, "Principia Discordia, or How I Found Goddess and What I Did to Her When I Found Her."
American atheists on this site are proof that creationism is not even remotely a contributing factor in the failure of the American education system.

The failure is people would rather spend tens of millions of dollars on athletes than give schools the necessary funding to provide a proper and specific education to students. We have schools that actually steal from their education grants so they can fund their athletic programs.
But if we walk in the light, as He is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus, His Son, purifies us from all sin.
(January 17, 2013 at 11:04 pm)Polaris Wrote: American atheists on this site are proof that creationism is not even remotely a contributing factor in the failure of the American education system.

The failure is people would rather spend tens of millions of dollars on athletes than give schools the necessary funding to provide a proper and specific education to students. We have schools that actually steal from their education grants so they can fund their athletic programs.

I agree with you about the sports thing. At least in my high school it was a joke. We had a 50% dropout rate, but goddamn if we didn't have a good football team. The other big problem is with the shitty standards of teachers. Nobody intelligent wants that shitty fucking job. You get paid little to deal with apathetic children.

However if creationism was taught in schools, that would be the biggest problem in education. It would be the same as if we replaced chemistry with alchemy.
[Image: dcep7c.jpg]
Just found out my sons religious studies teacher is a young earth creationist and told him "evolution can't be true because 6000 years isn't enough time for evolution to happen" this is a teacher in England...I feel ashamed.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

(January 18, 2013 at 2:49 pm)downbeatplumb Wrote: Just found out my sons religious studies teacher is a young earth creationist and told him "evolution can't be true because 6000 years isn't enough time for evolution to happen" this is a teacher in England...I feel ashamed.

What the absolute fuck. Hope you have an appointment to meet this idiot on parents evening.
(January 18, 2013 at 3:00 pm)Insanity x Wrote:
(January 18, 2013 at 2:49 pm)downbeatplumb Wrote: Just found out my sons religious studies teacher is a young earth creationist and told him "evolution can't be true because 6000 years isn't enough time for evolution to happen" this is a teacher in England...I feel ashamed.

What the absolute fuck. Hope you have an appointment to meet this idiot on parents evening.

She apparently made it clear that it was her personal religious view and was in RS not science...my son got in trouble for taking the piss.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Debunking Creationism #1 - How Human Evolution Works QuackeryDetection 58 4867 May 17, 2022 at 3:17 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Don’t Monkey with Education Gawdzilla Sama 1 458 May 15, 2017 at 3:39 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Aw, More Trouble For Creationism... BrianSoddingBoru4 10 1601 December 27, 2016 at 9:41 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  More things against creationism dyresand 27 4385 June 12, 2015 at 12:01 am
Last Post: Cyberman
  Yours favorite arguments for creationism viocjit 5 2481 May 20, 2013 at 10:20 am
Last Post: viocjit
  Bill Nye Big Think, Creationism. 5thHorseman 4 2818 August 28, 2012 at 12:30 pm
Last Post: Gambit
  The Brain's Plumbing System Rayaan 8 2588 August 17, 2012 at 11:21 am
Last Post: Creed of Heresy
  Indiana Senate passes creationism measure - UPI.com orogenicman 14 5302 February 2, 2012 at 1:09 pm
Last Post: orogenicman
  Creationist trying to prove evolution with creationism Anymouse 20 7927 July 7, 2011 at 8:51 am
Last Post: Kayenneh
  The dangers of creationism AtheistPhil 0 1947 December 25, 2008 at 6:12 pm
Last Post: AtheistPhil