Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 1:01 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
evolution, plants vs. animals
evolution, plants vs. animals
Hi,

Does anybody know at what point the evolution of animals split off from the evolution of plants. I assume it was after the 1st organisms crawled out of the soup?

Thanks

K
RE: evolution, plants vs. animals
Where are these walking plants you speek of? Big Grin
(August 24, 2009 at 7:38 am)fr0d0 Wrote: Where are these walking plants you speek of?

That was quite witty Confusedhock:

Kyu
Angry Atheism
Where those who are hacked off with the stupidity of irrational belief can vent their feelings!
Come over to the dark side, we have cookies!

Kyuuketsuki, AngryAtheism Owner & Administrator
Not really, never heard of the Triffids ?
(August 24, 2009 at 8:32 am)trebor777 Wrote: Not really, never heard of the Triffids ?

Ah yes but they are 1. quite clearly an advanced plant form (so probably well beyond the point at which animals and plants diverged) and 2. fiction Smile

Kyu
Angry Atheism
Where those who are hacked off with the stupidity of irrational belief can vent their feelings!
Come over to the dark side, we have cookies!

Kyuuketsuki, AngryAtheism Owner & Administrator
Pretty sure plants came first as they had the thankless task of releasing all the oxygen into the atmosphere before anything much more complex could get going.

Stramatalites spring to mind...
[Image: cinjin_banner_border.jpg]
http://www.actionbioscience.org/newfront...paper.html
Claims that there is a single organism from which all organisms share a common ancestor (btw, that would include plants). However, it is just what they seem to say. It is a long paper, and i've not the time to read it right now.

Plants are not necessary for an ecosystem's survival, so photosynthesis might not have been necessary to occur first, and therefore plants would diverge from bacteria, as with animals. Searching for a specific article, i'll post ones i find somewhat relevant till i find it. http://www.psrd.hawaii.edu/Dec96/LifeUnderground.html

I read an article in discovery magazine recently (like half a year or so ago), and it suggested similar things http://www.symmetrymagazine.org/breaking...m-physics/

Alright, finally found the magazine, and here is one semi-relevance to the idea of non-photosynthetic life. http://discovermagazine.com/2009/may/11-...alien-life
and i think this is the one i read: http://discovermagazine.com/1997/jan/cav...tic%20life
Yes, it is.

As a summery, the bacteria found in that cave engage in a form of chemosynthesis... in layman's terms: they get food from chemicals, as apposed to sunlight and other organisms. I think that's rather intriguing.... Bacteria can survive very low temperatures, as well as very high temperatures (as apposed to humans anyway). And apparently they don't need oxygen or sunlight to live either.

As that article shows, this form of life can create a food chain which can continue into (somewhat) more advanced creatures like scorpions and spiders... i don't know, but possibly even advanced sentient life.

This broadens the chance of advanced extraterrestrial life's existence by leaps and bounds.
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day
Quote:and 2. fiction Smile

At least they have in common with jesus.
Right now in my small green house, I have about a dozen of these little devils.....lolol... Some nice Carnivorous plants for you..

[Image: 30-1349369953G.jpg]
Intelligence is the only true moral guide...
(August 30, 2009 at 5:08 pm)Samson Wrote: Right now in my small green house, I have about a dozen of these little devils.....lolol... Some nice Carnivorous plants for you..

[Image: 30-1349369953G.jpg]

Ah, I used to have one of those when I was younger. I was so proud when one morning I woke up to discover that it had cought it's own crane fly Smile
[Image: cinjin_banner_border.jpg]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Did the King Play Chess On Fine Grained Sand for Plants Too? Rhondazvous 1 684 June 19, 2016 at 10:39 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  An Evolutionary Connection Between Plants and Animals? Rhondazvous 2 1020 February 18, 2016 at 9:05 pm
Last Post: ignoramus
  The ethics of cloning extinct animals BrokenQuill92 36 7170 June 20, 2014 at 11:11 am
Last Post: LostLocke
  Sexual relationships in animals vs. humans Kayenneh 6 2954 March 29, 2014 at 1:35 am
Last Post: *Deidre*
  Journal of Medicinal Plants Studies akhil686 5 2897 September 5, 2013 at 3:16 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Journal of Medicinal Plants Studies akhil686 0 912 August 5, 2013 at 3:51 am
Last Post: akhil686
  Intelligent design type evolution vs naturalism type evolution. Mystic 59 30223 April 6, 2013 at 5:12 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Does the existance of Self Aware animals futher question the whole Creationsim argumet pop_punks_not_dead 10 8209 February 14, 2013 at 6:44 pm
Last Post: pop_punks_not_dead
  Albino animals Something completely different 1 5182 February 9, 2013 at 12:53 am
Last Post: justin
  Archaeologist Revives Ancient Plants Minimalist 15 3409 October 6, 2011 at 6:43 am
Last Post: KichigaiNeko