Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 5:37 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Anti-Christian Documentaries
Anti-Christian Documentaries
I just watched a documentary called The God Who Wasn't There. I am aghast by the fact that so many people in our world believe in not only an imaginary person (God), but the person who supposedly existed (Jesus) even though he does not fit properly into any accredited historical timeline and has basically no real evidence backing up all the stuff the Bible said he did.
More so, I sincerely don't understand how Christians can say "Oh yeah, Jesus walked on water, came back to life, healed people, turned water to wine, etc." Or many of the other ridiculous things that exist in the Bible like men living in fish, talking snakes, or people hearing the voice of God. If I believed in that stuff but not in the form the Bible says then people would think I am crazy. If I told people I heard a voice telling me to do stuff, I would be committed....unless it is God talking to me. Another interesting thought is if I put some fairy tales into the Bible and taught a bunch of Christians that it was real, would they honestly be able to tell the difference?
Also, while I understand that some people need God because they are scared of their own insignificance or because they are scared of death, I don't understand why their God is the right one. Who is to say Jupiter, or Zeus, or Thor aren't real? If the Bible is true then their stories are just as plausible.
I just don't understand how people who are intelligent can buy into all of this.

But I got waaaaay off topic. Anyone have any other good documentaries to suggest?
RE: Anti-Christian Documentaries
Try these

Saved! - feature film starring Macauley Calkin. Quite entertaining.

Zeitgeist the Movie - when watching this have a pinch of salt ready.

Anything with Richard Dawkins like "The root of all evil?"

Jonathon Miller "A brief history of unbelief".

Regards

Grimesy
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful. — Edward Gibbon

BBC - How art made the world, complete in youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLN...doyyjsASNc
Quote:More so, I sincerely don't understand how Christians can say "Oh yeah, Jesus walked on water, came back to life, healed people, turned water to wine, etc." Or many of the other ridiculous things that exist in the Bible like men living in fish, talking snakes, or people hearing the voice of God.

A lot of them simply aren't very bright.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uo6OCxwUPPg

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01...t_Is_Life/

Not exactly anti christian but certainly anti-creationist.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

Religulous (Bill Maher) is definitely worth a view.
(January 29, 2013 at 8:13 am)pgrimes15 Wrote: Try these

Zeitgeist the Movie - when watching this have a pinch of salt ready.

A pinch won't quite cover all the sodium chloride needed when watching this.

Buried among some facts is a whole mess of bad scholarship from people with agendas. Archiya S is a charlatan.

You'd believe if you just opened your heart" is a terrible argument for religion. It's basically saying, "If you bias yourself enough, you can convince yourself that this is true." If religion were true, people wouldn't need faith to believe it -- it would be supported by good evidence.
(January 29, 2013 at 1:59 pm)downbeatplumb Wrote: Not exactly anti christian but certainly anti-creationist.

Well at the start he was wandering around a festival of people communing with their dead ancestors and he said something like "Well this isn't very scientific. Though of course belief in a soul is common to all human cultures because it's intuitive for us to think that life has a mystic spark of some kind and we don't like the fact that we're going to cease to exist after we die. But now I will tell you how it all works for real." At the end he comes back to line of resoning and and says "There you go then in it's just hyrothermal vents and energy gradients folks, nothing mystical going on here just the laws of physics". If this were shown on US TV it this could be a bit controversial, but for the BBC it's just a run of the mill education series about the natural world.

Bill Maher - New Rules:
Atheism Is Not A Religion + Unbaptismal Ceremony
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A41WZBcmnfc

Derren Brown - Instant Conversion, 1 & 2
Derren Brown 'instantly' converts people to belief in God

"Mr. Deity" (Five seasons of youtube shorts)
Link:

BBC Search For Satan, parts 1-4
Andy Hamilton explores the development of the character of Satan from early Judaism onward.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUI_ML1qkQE

Rowan Atkinson - Pro Free Speech
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gciegyiLYtY

[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
(January 29, 2013 at 2:48 am)AZatheist Wrote: I just watched a documentary called The God Who Wasn't There. I am aghast by the fact that so many people in our world believe in not only an imaginary person (God), but the person who supposedly existed (Jesus) even though he does not fit properly into any accredited historical timeline and has basically no real evidence backing up all the stuff the Bible said he did.
More so, I sincerely don't understand how Christians can say "Oh yeah, Jesus walked on water, came back to life, healed people, turned water to wine, etc." Or many of the other ridiculous things that exist in the Bible like men living in fish, talking snakes, or people hearing the voice of God. If I believed in that stuff but not in the form the Bible says then people would think I am crazy. If I told people I heard a voice telling me to do stuff, I would be committed....unless it is God talking to me. Another interesting thought is if I put some fairy tales into the Bible and taught a bunch of Christians that it was real, would they honestly be able to tell the difference?
Also, while I understand that some people need God because they are scared of their own insignificance or because they are scared of death, I don't understand why their God is the right one. Who is to say Jupiter, or Zeus, or Thor aren't real? If the Bible is true then their stories are just as plausible.
I just don't understand how people who are intelligent can buy into all of this.

But I got waaaaay off topic. Anyone have any other good documentaries to suggest?

Who is to say that gods are real at all, by any name? Wouldn't it make more sense that humans have vivid imaginations which is why Jupiter and Thor were once thought as gods?

The point of "The God Who Wasn't There" IS to discredit the God of the bible. But that is only because the producer dealt and deals with Christians the most in his life because he lives in western society.

Ayaan Hersi Ali wrote "Infidel" describing her flight from Islam.

How about this: "NO claims of any polytheistic or monotheistic god/s are credible"

How about that humans in our evolution are frightened by finite existence and making up comic book super heros is a placebo that helps us cope?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  History: The Iniquitous Anti-Christian French Revolution. Nishant Xavier 27 2111 August 6, 2023 at 9:08 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  I'm no longer an anti-theist Duty 27 1942 September 16, 2022 at 1:08 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Angry Atheists and Anti-Theists Agnostico 186 18096 December 31, 2018 at 12:22 pm
Last Post: T0 Th3 M4X
  Isn't Atheism anti Christian than anti religious? Western part atleast Kibbi 14 3446 October 5, 2018 at 9:09 pm
Last Post: Dr H
  Why America is anti-theist. Goosebump 3 1096 March 1, 2018 at 9:06 am
Last Post: mlmooney89
  Anti-Theism Haipule 134 24299 December 20, 2017 at 1:39 pm
Last Post: Haipule
Tongue Let's see some Atheist or Anti Religion Memes Spooky 317 157580 July 10, 2017 at 5:00 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  My anti-theistic perspective Foxaèr 122 15173 February 4, 2016 at 1:03 am
Last Post: God of Mr. Hanky
  Atheism and Anti-Theism same thing? ErGingerbreadMandude 114 16722 February 2, 2016 at 12:04 pm
Last Post: God of Mr. Hanky
  Why so many "anti-feminists" in the atheist community? ketameankitty 887 154943 December 4, 2015 at 11:45 am
Last Post: Cyberman