Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 1:36 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I don't understand what exactly Secular Humanism is
I don't understand what exactly Secular Humanism is
My friend sent me a link to this Are You a Humanist quiz from the BHA website and it came up like 98% so apparently I am one.

I don't understand what it is. Is it just some good morals people should implement day to day or something?
RE: I don't understand what exactly Secular Humanism is
It means you're not religious but give a shit about morality and stuff.
(February 13, 2013 at 7:41 pm)Zone Wrote: It means you're not religious but give a shit about morality and stuff.

Oh okay, so I guess most atheists would be one then.

I just thought it was a posh term for atheist
We are lucky enought to live in an era in which information and knowlege is as freely available as ever before:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secular_humanism

Quote:The philosophy or life stance secular humanism (alternatively known by some adherents as Humanism, specifically with a capital H to distinguish it from other forms of humanism) embraces human reason, ethics, social justice and philosophical naturalism, whilst specifically rejecting religious dogma, supernaturalism, pseudoscience or superstition as the basis of morality and decision making.

Use that opertunity Wink

Which is not to say that religious people can't be secular humanists, some are.

[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
(February 13, 2013 at 10:23 pm)apophenia Wrote:

Which is not to say that religious people can't be secular humanists, some are.

I suggested just that to my liberal Catholic sister when I was trying to explain the meaning of the term. I asked her, if she were shown irrefutable proof that there is no god and no afterlife, would that change anything? Would she stop giving to food banks, or stop resisting the urge to throttle her son when he throws a tantrum? Her reply: of course not.

Humanism just means that your morals are based on empathy for your fellow humans (and other sentient species as well), on doing what's right for its own sake rather than to avoid punishment and receive a reward, regardless of whether or not you have supernatural beliefs. As Abraham Lincoln (who was not an atheist) said, "When I do good, I feel good. When I do bad, I feel bad. That is my religion."
To put it succinctly, a secular humanist is someone who views the nature and well being of humanity through a non-religious philosophy. Secular humanism looks into the ways in which the human race might be bettered, or better cared for, through reasoned study of its habits and needs.

As to exactly how this can be achieved has been a subject of debate since the high middle ages when what might accurately be called the first humanists began a movement in opposition to the Catholic-led ecclesiastical look on humanity, which focuses upon what the purpose of the human race is, and how it might be bettered in relation, and in deference, to the Abrahamic god.
This circumstance has, unfortunately, led to many theistic-minded people to view secular humanism as a counter-force, much in the same way that others view the Big Bang Theory, and the Theory of Evolution, to be in opposition to their beliefs.
This is not necessarily true, as christians and other theists can be evolutionists, secular humanists, or big bangers as well.

Heh... big bangers.
If you believe it, question it. If you question it, get an answer. If you have an answer, does that answer satisfy reality? Does it satisfy you? Probably not. For no one else will agree with you, not really.
(February 22, 2013 at 9:16 pm)Question Mark Wrote: To put it succinctly, a secular humanist is someone who views the nature and well being of humanity through a non-religious philosophy. Secular humanism looks into the ways in which the human race might be bettered, or better cared for, through reasoned study of its habits and needs.

As to exactly how this can be achieved has been a subject of debate since the high middle ages when what might accurately be called the first humanists began a movement in opposition to the Catholic-led ecclesiastical look on humanity, which focuses upon what the purpose of the human race is, and how it might be bettered in relation, and in deference, to the Abrahamic god.
This circumstance has, unfortunately, led to many theistic-minded people to view secular humanism as a counter-force, much in the same way that others view the Big Bang Theory, and the Theory of Evolution, to be in opposition to their beliefs.
This is not necessarily true, as christians and other theists can be evolutionists, secular humanists, or big bangers as well.

Heh... big bangers.

He said "bangers"....huh huh...huh
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Einstein

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Sexual Abuse in Social Context: Clergy and other (Secular) Professionals. Nishant Xavier 61 3808 July 16, 2023 at 1:54 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Help me understand you better pokey555 12 1789 August 10, 2021 at 3:33 pm
Last Post: UniverseCaptain
  Why Atheism/Secular Humanism... Part II TheReal 53 25961 April 23, 2018 at 4:48 pm
Last Post: Mystic
  Why don't some people understand lack of belief? Der/die AtheistIn 125 22113 April 20, 2018 at 7:15 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
Heart Humanism shadow 10 2639 March 14, 2018 at 5:19 pm
Last Post: shadow
  The "Hang On You Don't Understand The Scriptures' Excuse JackRussell 27 7106 July 11, 2017 at 6:19 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  Why can't Christians Verify Exactly Where Jesus Was Buried? Firefighter01 278 51430 January 19, 2017 at 8:19 am
Last Post: Little Rik
  Why can't Christians Verify Exactly Where Jesus Was Buried? Firefighter01 0 500 August 31, 2016 at 3:19 am
Last Post: Firefighter01
  I don't understand it: Why am I not confietable with the label "Atheist" ReptilianPeon 15 4027 April 28, 2016 at 5:33 pm
Last Post: Athene
  Humanism Kingpin 29 4847 August 27, 2015 at 6:29 am
Last Post: robvalue