Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 11:14 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The "Hang On You Don't Understand The Scriptures' Excuse
The "Hang On You Don't Understand The Scriptures' Excuse
I got it wrong, I didn't have the correct understanding of the scripture, and luckily you know it. Thank god i met you.

But then my Catholic, Sunni, Hindu,.....

You all get were this is going.

If God wants me to now him, why does he make it so hard?

And if a theist replies with 'you just don't want to believe' or 'you just haven't considered the evidence'

Well, Fuck you. I have.

Not anger, just real frustration. Because if it's true, I want to know. You have the burden of proof so 'fess up or fuck off.
RE: The "Hang On You Don't Understand The Scriptures' Excuse
Don't need to "understand" Scripture to know that magic ain't real...heh heh.
"God" ain't got nothing to do with anything.
You're just not humbling yourself enough. You're not A/S/King correctly. Just keep trying until you make yourself believe. This kind of tactic doesn't work with anything else in the world, but it's the only way to get closer to god, because you just have to have faith.

Nevermind that relying on faith doesn't work very well, without consistency. and there is no consistency when it matters, unless you work from your conclusion, instead of towards a conclusion.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

You're taking it out of context ;-)
You just haven't done it the exact special way I did and/or you studied the wrong denomination!

You clearly weren't ever a TRUE Christian if you were able to stop believing (for those who weren't always atheists).
I don't believe you. Get over it.
(July 9, 2017 at 5:44 pm)Jesster Wrote: You clearly weren't ever a TRUE Christian if you were able to stop believing (for those who weren't always atheists).

Yes and that particular circular reasoning / impertinence is unfortunately taught explicitly in scripture. "You were never truly one of us, because True Believers never stop believing". I was about as dedicated and involved and devoted and, frankly, acclaimed a Christian as any. But as soon as I left the faith, "you were never one of us" is all I ever heard.

I think the popularity of this nonsense claim lies in the fact that it staves of the fear that there could possibly be legitimate doubts, that doubt could even be a virtue rather than a vice. When I was a a believer, I knew at some level, like all believers do, that all you have to do is pull out some little stick and the whole tower of religious faith collapses.
And you better not stop begging for god to reveal himself to you or you're not going to like what happens when you die!
Religions were invented to impress and dupe illiterate, superstitious stone-age peasants. So in this modern, enlightened age of information, what's your excuse? Or are you saying with all your advantages, you were still tricked as easily as those early humans?

---

There is no better way to convey the least amount of information in the greatest amount of words than to try explaining your religious views.
"All you have to do is ask, with an open mind, and god will reveal himself to you!"

All I got was a flasher in Kings Cross...
Dying to live, living to die.
(July 9, 2017 at 6:53 pm)The Valkyrie Wrote: "All you have to do is ask, with an open mind, and god will reveal himself to you!"

All I got was a flasher in Kings Cross...

That was HIM, you idiot. What were you expecting? ;-)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help me understand you better pokey555 12 1786 August 10, 2021 at 3:33 pm
Last Post: UniverseCaptain
  Why don't some people understand lack of belief? Der/die AtheistIn 125 22064 April 20, 2018 at 7:15 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  I don't understand it: Why am I not confietable with the label "Atheist" ReptilianPeon 15 4025 April 28, 2016 at 5:33 pm
Last Post: Athene
  christian looking to understand athiests msid 212 34569 August 21, 2015 at 10:38 am
Last Post: Mr Greene
  Trying to understand evolution JDepps 17 3851 July 28, 2014 at 1:53 am
Last Post: Jenny A
  one thing i don't understand bout god/christianity leodeo 54 15661 November 3, 2013 at 10:52 am
Last Post: pineapplebunnybounce
  I do not understand former atheist's Lemonvariable72 41 9235 September 27, 2013 at 2:02 pm
Last Post: Simon Moon
  I don't understand what exactly Secular Humanism is pop_punks_not_dead 7 3539 February 22, 2013 at 9:26 pm
Last Post: Baalzebutt
  A survey designed to understand nontheists Ziploc Surprise 5 2560 April 13, 2012 at 8:01 am
Last Post: fuckass365
  Australian Atheist Bus Ad Says God Better Have ‘a Good Excuse’ KichigaiNeko 26 11762 March 18, 2012 at 9:58 am
Last Post: KichigaiNeko