Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 4:37 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I don't understand it: Why am I not confietable with the label "Atheist"
I don't understand it: Why am I not confietable with the label "Atheist"
Background: I've mentioned where it is I work before. We get a lot of applications in the post. And one day there was one sent it from a man called Noah. A colleague mentioned Noah's Ark and I said the story is silly like how could fit all of the billions of types of animal (the story makes no reference to plants, viruses, fungi, bacteria etc and only mentions animals.) into a single boat and the person says something to the effect of "I'll just believe what the Bible says."

It's hard for me to understand how anybody can be in the same office as me and be religious given that we grapple with the problem of evil every single day. So they said they go to Church and they asked me what my religion was and I said I'm nothing. I didn't want to get into a discussion about this with somebody whom I think is a nice person that I want to get along with and I honestly didn't feel comfortable telling them what I sincerely am. Should I be more open with people? I know I probably won't offend anyone by doing so but it's hard and I'm not sure that I like labels because these days everyone wants a label it seems.

RE: I don't understand it: Why am I not confietable with the label "Atheist"
It can be difficult. Maybe "I'm not interested in religion" would suffice. To be honest, people have no right pestering you for more detail than that. That is what I go with, when someone asks an awkward question and a full discussion doesn't seem appropriate.

Unless you're dealing with someone who knows their stuff, announcing you're an atheist is probably more like to confuse matters. But then a case can be made for explaining exactly what this means, where appropriate. People's ignorance shouldn't be a barrier to communication. It depends on the person and situation.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
It didn't seem like they wanted a full discussion. Besides, it happened in the workplace so it's not like they could spent the time questioning me. I simply don't find religion convincing. I appreciate the post and I will use your wise words in the future.

You're welcome Smile

I would say if they pressed you further than that, they are being unreasonable and you're well within your rights to say it's a personal matter. If someone says they aren't interested in football, you don't pin then down and grill them about whether they believe goal posts exist, do you? Tongue

Maybe as you get to know people better, you could unpack it a little more. But it's a matter of whether it will be productive. Their original question betrays a closed mind: what religion are you? So personally I'd need to see more evidence that the person can actually handle more detail before going any further.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of my best videos
You said it right here. You don't find religion convincing. Say that.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
I think you should say you're an atheist. Don't be afraid to say who you are.
Don't reveal that you're an atheist,especially if the person you're revealing this to is a devoted Christian. You don't want the hassle, trust me. Just let it be.
Quote: "I'll just believe what the Bible says."

Some people would rather not think at all.  They should be pitied.
You could carry around Lord of the Rings, and repeat that same sentiment.

Index of my best videos
Could just say that you're not religious. Most of the people i have talked to don't even know what an atheist is so i just go with the former:p

Also, reminds me of a fantasy novel i am reading.

Quote:"By the way... you did not actually pray to the Holy Father, did you?"

Pascal's interrogation hit her spot on just as two servants brought in their meals. He gave no awareness to their presence again, and she hurriedly returned a nod of gratitude.

"No...?"

Kaede had pretended to pray to show respect, but reciting words that she didn't believe in seemed... wrong.

"How could you not pray to the Holy Father?"

Having spent a dozen years in Central Russia, Kaede did attend several Eastern Orthodox services, but she never really converted and stayed an agnostic-deist like her mother. Plus, she considered her religious flexibility to be a major advantage when studying foreign history and culture, so when it came to the religiously adamant...

"Hey, I already follow the Flying Spaghetti God, so please respect my faith," Kaede retorted. "Besides, you told me the Samarans don't worship him either!"

"And the Samarans are seen as heretics! Do you wish to be singled out by the church inquisition!?"

She shut up immediately, remembering the agonizing deaths people used to give nonbelievers.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is Atheism a Religion? Why or why not? Nishant Xavier 91 4970 August 6, 2023 at 1:38 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  Help me understand you better pokey555 12 1790 August 10, 2021 at 3:33 pm
Last Post: UniverseCaptain
  Abortion: 10 years as an atheist and I still don't get it Nihilist Virus 330 31066 March 5, 2020 at 5:26 pm
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  [Not Even A Little Bit Serious] Why AREN'T You An Atheist? BrianSoddingBoru4 28 3439 December 28, 2019 at 12:48 pm
Last Post: LastPoet
  Why don't some people understand lack of belief? Der/die AtheistIn 125 22134 April 20, 2018 at 7:15 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  The "Hang On You Don't Understand The Scriptures' Excuse JackRussell 27 7109 July 11, 2017 at 6:19 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  Why I don't believe in religion Na11 21 5760 November 30, 2016 at 8:49 am
Last Post: Little Rik
  christian looking to understand athiests msid 212 34584 August 21, 2015 at 10:38 am
Last Post: Mr Greene
  Even us atheist don't realize one thing LogicOrDie 8 2336 September 8, 2014 at 8:41 pm
Last Post: Mudhammam
  Why I Don't Believe in Atheism MPCADF 152 17526 August 2, 2014 at 11:48 pm
Last Post: ignoramus