Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 5:27 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why can't God sin?
Why can't God sin?
If God has free will, why doesn't he sin?

If we have free will, why do we sin?

What is it about God that allows him to have free will and not ever sin? Why can't humans be the same way?
My ignore list

"The lord doesn't work in mysterious ways, but in ways that are indistinguishable from his nonexistence."
-- George Yorgo Veenhuyzen quoted by John W. Loftus in The End of Christianity (p. 103).
RE: Why can't God sin?
Sin is not a standard apart from God. Sin is anything not in the Expressed will of God. In otherwords God can not sin because anything God does is in His expressed will.
(February 25, 2013 at 11:47 pm)Drich Wrote: Sin is not a standard apart from God. Sin is anything not in the Expressed will of God. In otherwords God can not sin because anything God does is in His expressed will.

So it wouldn't be a sin for God to go back on his salvation promise and send let's say all Christian gingers to hell just because they have red hair?
My ignore list

"The lord doesn't work in mysterious ways, but in ways that are indistinguishable from his nonexistence."
-- George Yorgo Veenhuyzen quoted by John W. Loftus in The End of Christianity (p. 103).
God cannot do sin, because sin is defined by the theistic as any and all actions, thoughts, predications of thoughts or actions, or anything else whatsoever, that doesn't comply with god's whims. Therefore anything that he does is condoned by him, and so therefore is by definition not sin.

In short, it's a double standard when applied to humans. Sin is intrinsically bound to god existing, and since he's not been proven to yet, the concept of sin is fallacious until his existence is proven to be true.
If you believe it, question it. If you question it, get an answer. If you have an answer, does that answer satisfy reality? Does it satisfy you? Probably not. For no one else will agree with you, not really.
So in other words, God is a nihilist?
My ignore list

(February 25, 2013 at 11:44 pm)teaearlgreyhot Wrote: If God has free will, why doesn't he sin?

What is it about God that allows him to have free will and not ever sin? Why can't humans be the same way?

The question is STUPID

First - GOD cannot have FREE WILL. IF a god is ALL KNOWING - then it cannot do anything other than what it already knows it will do - period. It does not have the ability to choose to do something it did NOT KNOW. "FREE" will has to mean the ability to choose from ALL possibilities - and that is not possible where everything is already known.

ANd HUMANS - in a world with an all knowing god - have the SAME Problem. IT makes NO difference if YOU CLAIM that a god just KNOWS our CHOICE - if the choice is KNOWN BEFORE we exist. Since humans are not eternal beings - WE make decisions ONLY during our lifetime. If a god exists that is ALL knowing - past - present - and future - as claimed for the Xtian god - then - AT THE TIME we make the decision - we do not have the ability to choose anything other than what is known already - and cannot choose to do something that the god does not know. ERGO - NO FREE WILL

However - the biggest problem with the monotheistic creation religions - where there was only ONE creator -is that they MUST be the source of ALL THINGS - good and evil. The "devil" - being a finite being - must have been created by the god - and evil is also created by the god.

A "sin: is defined as an offense against the god. IF the god is the UTLIMATE evil - which it MUST BE in a monotheism - then there is NO offense worse than what the god already is - so sin is simply NOT POSSIBLE..

Example - the god of the OLD testament murdered - lots of people.
In every population of people - there are babies and young children. EVEN the catholic church recognizes that very young children cannot sin BEFORE they reach an age of reason and responsibility - they say age seven. Makes no difference what age.

Currently - people under age 5 represent about 10 percent of the population - but in ancient times - when the lifespan was shorter - would have represented closer to 20 percent of the population.

THAT makes the Great Flood a murder of 20 percent of the people involved - too young to have sinned and be responsible for it.
However - the passover itself - it simply a murder of virtually every person that would have died - since NONE of them were personally responsible for the actions of their Pharaoh as well.

So - is murder an offense - to a murderer? Nope!
(February 25, 2013 at 11:44 pm)teaearlgreyhot Wrote: If God has free will, why doesn't he sin?

Humans can't have free will when one believes they are subjects of a sovereign omniscient being who's scripture informs the reader of them that their lives were predestined before they were born.
Predestination of a life under the authority of a sovereign creator precludes free will.
And a sovereign god can't sin when sin is violating the will and laws of the creator of them. Omnipotence precludes god from being able to sin.

Humans could have been sinless, if one believes the scripture in Genesis prior to the fruit of the tree of knowledge, if god had been omni-benevolent and forgave the very first mistake innocent unconscious humans made, because omnipresent god permitted his agent satan, who only acts by his will, to enter into 'paradise'. Which isn't really paradise at all if the lord of the earth and the god of lies can gain access after the cherubim that guarded the place just so happened to be absent on the day.
[Image: white-cloud-emoticon6.gif?1292330538]
Then there was a man who said, “I never knew what real happiness was until I got married; by then it was too late." Anonymous
(February 25, 2013 at 11:58 pm)teaearlgreyhot Wrote: So in other words, God is a nihilist?

I don't really see how you come to that conclusion. Could you please explain how you reached it?
If you believe it, question it. If you question it, get an answer. If you have an answer, does that answer satisfy reality? Does it satisfy you? Probably not. For no one else will agree with you, not really.
(February 26, 2013 at 12:09 am)Nobody Wrote: Humans could have been sinless, if one believes the scripture in Genesis prior to the fruit of the tree of knowledge, if god had been omni-benevolent and forgave the very first mistake innocent unconscious humans made, because omnipresent god permitted his agent satan, who only acts by his will, to enter into 'paradise'. Which isn't really paradise at all if the lord of the earth and the god of lies can gain access after the cherubim that guarded the place just so happened to be absent on the day.

I'd go further than that, and say that original sin isn't, and could not have been a sin at all. If Adam and Eve had only gained a concept of good and evil after they had eaten the fruit, then how could they have known that disobeying god was an evil act? How could they even have had a concept of things like betrayal, disobedience or lies, given that all they had ever known was perfect goodness? Not only did they not have a metric by which to measure morality, according to Genesis they didn't even have a knowledge that there was such a thing as good and evil, before committing the first "evil" act.

Beyond that, I love how when they gain knowledge of things that are evil their first instinct is to cover up in order to be good, yet god's all like "fuck y'all!" anyway.

Sorry, I don't mean to derail the thread, it's just that that always bothered me. Tongue
"YOU take the hard look in the mirror. You are everything that is wrong with this world. The only thing important to you, is you." - ronedee

Want to see more of my writing? Check out my (safe for work!) site, Unprotected Sects!
(February 26, 2013 at 12:19 am)Esquilax Wrote:
(February 26, 2013 at 12:09 am)Nobody Wrote: Humans could have been sinless, if one believes the scripture in Genesis prior to the fruit of the tree of knowledge, if god had been omni-benevolent and forgave the very first mistake innocent unconscious humans made, because omnipresent god permitted his agent satan, who only acts by his will, to enter into 'paradise'. Which isn't really paradise at all if the lord of the earth and the god of lies can gain access after the cherubim that guarded the place just so happened to be absent on the day.

I'd go further than that, and say that original sin isn't, and could not have been a sin at all. If Adam and Eve had only gained a concept of good and evil after they had eaten the fruit, then how could they have known that disobeying god was an evil act? How could they even have had a concept of things like betrayal, disobedience or lies, given that all they had ever known was perfect goodness? Not only did they not have a metric by which to measure morality, according to Genesis they didn't even have a knowledge that there was such a thing as good and evil, before committing the first "evil" act.

Beyond that, I love how when they gain knowledge of things that are evil their first instinct is to cover up in order to be good, yet god's all like "fuck y'all!" anyway.

Sorry, I don't mean to derail the thread, it's just that that always bothered me. Tongue

I'd also like to add that, in addition to this, god being the all-knowing omnipresent being that he apparently is, he must have known exactly what Adam and Eve were going to do, and knew full well that his actions by putting the tree in the garden with Adam and Eve was going to doom humanity to sin and sedition for all eternity, by his rules and by the judgements he laid down as law.

In short, if this story is true, there's no getting around the fact that it's god's fault that it happened, and that there's overwhelming evidence to the fact that he had planned the whole thing to go the way that it did.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Sin and death LinuxGal 35 2265 December 11, 2023 at 8:32 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Why you can't find God MilesAbbott81 109 9489 September 19, 2022 at 1:41 pm
Last Post: Ranjr
  the nature of sin Drich 137 18401 August 11, 2020 at 6:51 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me? vorlon13 92 9153 July 23, 2018 at 8:20 am
Last Post: SteveII
  Why, God? Why?! LadyForCamus 233 29825 June 5, 2018 at 12:57 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  And Jesus said unto her, Neither do I condemn thee: go, and sin no more. vorlon13 14 3077 August 1, 2017 at 2:54 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Sin and the Blame Game LadyForCamus 115 29968 June 20, 2017 at 7:37 pm
Last Post: Huggy Bear
  Without the Shedding of Blood There is No Remission of Sin Rhondazvous 231 58184 June 4, 2017 at 9:31 am
Last Post: Zenith
  Why Lust is bad, not gonna use "sin" reason but logical reason Rispri 27 5558 March 4, 2017 at 7:38 pm
Last Post: Ravenshire
  Question for Christians regarding elimination of Sin ErGingerbreadMandude 11 2771 January 29, 2017 at 4:25 pm
Last Post: The Wise Joker