Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 8:40 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
'Nuff Said
'Nuff Said
[Image: 6658767_700b_v1.jpg]
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Einstein
RE: 'Nuff Said
Amen. Very nice!
[Image: final1361807471121.jpg]
Counter to the potential strawman. Excellent.
If you believe it, question it. If you question it, get an answer. If you have an answer, does that answer satisfy reality? Does it satisfy you? Probably not. For no one else will agree with you, not really.
That's bullshit. You're either partly responsible for both or not responsible at all.
How can the OP be partly responsible for what other people understand?
You are currently experiencing a lucky and very brief window of awareness, sandwiched in between two periods of timeless and utter nothingness. So why not make the most of it, and stop wasting your life away trying to convince other people that there is something else? The reality is obvious.

(February 28, 2013 at 5:45 am)Norfolk And Chance Wrote: How can the OP be partly responsible for what other people understand?

It's pretty simple really. Without other people saying things I wouldn't understand numbers to the extent that I do.

If people understood that I was not understanding counting correctly, they would find a different way to say it until I understood.

Now if another person isn't partly responsible for what I understood then they aren't responsible for what they said either.

That's fine, but if I was always going to not understand something, and they were always going to say something, we were always going to communicate in miscommunication.

So if you are going to take a narrow view that someone is responsible for something then that someone is partly responsible for both, and if you are taking a wider view then no one is responsible for what they said and no one is responsible for how another person understood it.
(February 28, 2013 at 1:43 pm)naimless Wrote: It's pretty simple really. Without other people saying things I wouldn't understand numbers to the extent that I do.

If people understood that I was not understanding counting correctly, they would find a different way to say it until I understood.

Now if another person isn't partly responsible for what I understood then they aren't responsible for what they said either.

That's fine, but if I was always going to not understand something, and they were always going to say something, we were always going to communicate in miscommunication.

So if you are going to take a narrow view that someone is responsible for something then that someone is partly responsible for both, and if you are taking a wider view then no one is responsible for what they said and no one is responsible for how another person understood it.

Wow. You totally missed the point.
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Einstein
I concur and also understand (to an extent) naimless' response.

I remember trying to teach someone GCSE Mathematics. Was it my responsibility for how someone perceived what I tried to teach them? No. Was it my responsibility to convey to them to the best of my ability what I thought? Yes. Depending on my motives, I could have continued to teach them in varying manners until how they understood my meaning matched what I was trying to teach (which I did) but it was not my responsibility to do so, it was merely my intent.

In a world of 'free speech'; we are free to say what we want to say. It's not our responsibility, but it's in our interest to counter-act any misunderstandings caused by what we say. That depends on your outlook, however.
(March 1, 2013 at 9:11 pm)PhilipD Wrote: I concur and also understand (to an extent) naimless' response.

I remember trying to teach someone GCSE Mathematics. Was it my responsibility for how someone perceived what I tried to teach them? No. Was it my responsibility to convey to them to the best of my ability what I thought? Yes. Depending on my motives, I could have continued to teach them in varying manners until how they understood my meaning matched what I was trying to teach (which I did) but it was not my responsibility to do so, it was merely my intent.

In a world of 'free speech'; we are free to say what we want to say. It's not our responsibility, but it's in our interest to counter-act any misunderstandings caused by what we say. That depends on your outlook, however.

Yep, I'm responding to this because I understand what you said to be critical thinking.

Nevertheless, I don't think "free speech" exists. At least it only partly does within a context. My parents are free to use racist speech in my house. I am free to start screaming racist things down a street. The police are free to arrest me. I am free to deny I am the legal fiction who the court claims I am. The court are free to prosecute me. And so on...

I agree it depends heavily on one's outlook, or experience of their environment. I've simply been too aware of the determination of human behaviour to accept the OP's statement, no matter how nicely framed it is and how much it can appeal to one's subjectivity.
Awesome!! But it's not only creationists that set up straw men.
I'm kinda busy and don't have much time for these forums, so if you respond to this post, don't expect me to reply immediately- but I will try to get back to you sometime.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What would an atheist say if someone said "Hallelujah, you're my savior man." Woah0 16 1373 September 22, 2022 at 6:35 pm
Last Post: Simon Moon
  Worst Thing Said to You for Being a Non-believer Strider 18 8047 October 12, 2015 at 2:00 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Oprah says said this Manowar 11 2314 November 12, 2013 at 3:21 pm
Last Post: TheBeardedDude