Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 6:31 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Worst Thing Said to You for Being a Non-believer
Worst Thing Said to You for Being a Non-believer
It's been a long while since I posted anything, but this was a topic on my mind this morning. This moment came for me last year when my mom discovered that I wasn't a Christian and had in fact never been one. Her comment went as such:

"I haven't been this disappointed since I learned that your brother was abusing drugs."

Stop and think about this. She equated disbelief in a particular religion with abuse of illegal drugs. In her eyes, the two are equally as bad, though I believe that non-belief is even more egregious in her eyes. But, we all know that such sentiments are all too common when broaching the subject of non-belief to the devout. Imaginary hellfire is a much more serious matter than the physical, psychological, and societal consequences of drug usage to her I suppose.

Anyway, what has been the worst thing said to you, if anything at all?

Oh, and HI. Big Grin  It's nice to post again.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~ Benjamin Franklin
RE: Worst Thing Said to You for Being a Non-believer
Heya! It's great to see you back again Smile

I've not had anything much said to me face to face, the worst of it by far has been on this forum. One of the Christians went ape shit and called all atheists just about every bad thing you could imagine.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
Hello. I'm thinking that the believer's lack of self awareness in realizing that god is just an aspect of self causes the godself to be warded off in seclusion and delusion, a fortification from which the most ignorant and asinine commentary sallies forth.  Undecided
Welcome back, man.

Your mom has a serious problem in discerning problems.

I suppose the worst I ever heard was the usual "you'll burn in hell" horseshit that the morons trot out when they can't think of anything intelligent to say.
(October 12, 2015 at 11:44 am)robvalue Wrote: Heya! It's great to see you back again Smile

I've not had anything much said to me face to face, the worst of it by far has been on this forum. One of the Christians went ape shit and called all atheists just about every bad thing you could imagine.

Rob, I see you're still around - and quite busy judging by your post count. Wink  I actually didn't even think of insults via forums, chat rooms, etc. If those were to be included, it would break the thread!

(October 12, 2015 at 11:47 am)houseofcantor Wrote: Hello. I'm thinking that the believer's lack of self awareness in realizing that god is just an aspect of self causes the godself to be warded off in seclusion and delusion, a fortification from which the most ignorant and asinine commentary sallies forth.  Undecided

You can add hateful to those adjectives as well! Ignorance and hatred make for amiable bedfellows.

(October 12, 2015 at 11:59 am)Minimalist Wrote: Welcome back, man.

Your mom has a serious problem in discerning problems.

I suppose the worst I ever heard was the usual "you'll burn in hell" horseshit that the morons trot out when they can't think of anything intelligent to say.

No argument there. "You'll burn in hell" and "I'll pray for you" are on equal footing for me.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~ Benjamin Franklin
In church or school, god will take what's dearest to you, if you sin. Said to kids, who still believed in all kinds of stuff, including fairies and magic. Made me fear for my family. As a teen or an adult, in real life, nothing has been said to me. Outside of here.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
Yeah, I have a lot of time on my hands and not much energy, so this place has been perfect for me to make lots of lovely friends Smile
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
Welcome back, Strider.

Your mother's remark is so self-evidently stupid and hurtful that there's nothing more to add, so long as you see it for the fanatical nonsense it is.
I don't express my lack of belief to anyone who wouldn't be cool with it, so fortunately I have not yet experienced the joy of unsolicited opinion on my eternal soul c:

Oh, and your mother has no idea what she's talking about.
(October 12, 2015 at 12:06 pm)Crossless1 Wrote: Welcome back, Strider.

Your mother's remark is so self-evidently stupid and hurtful that there's nothing more to add, so long as you see it for the fanatical nonsense it is.

Worry not! I see it for exactly what it is: a Christian trying to come to grips with someone who somehow doesn't believe the same thing she believes. This in totally mind blowing for most.

(October 12, 2015 at 12:08 pm)Neimenovic Wrote: I don't express my lack of belief to anyone who wouldn't be cool with it, so fortunately I have not yet experienced the joy of unsolicited opinion on my eternal soul c:

Oh, and your mother has no idea what she's talking about.

I try and do the same, but in this particular situation my hand was forced. Don't worry. Given enough time, you'll eventually receive advice from someone else on exactly what you should believe and what will happen to you if you do otherwise! You still have that to look forward to. ^^

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  A thing I saw on a site that I want to comment on ShinyCrystals 5 353 March 21, 2024 at 1:33 pm
Last Post: ShinyCrystals
  Abiogenesis ("Chemical Evolution"): Did Life come from Non-Life by Pure Chance. Nishant Xavier 55 3095 August 6, 2023 at 5:19 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  British Non-Catholic Historian on Historical Longevity of the Roman Catholic Church. Nishant Xavier 36 1854 August 6, 2023 at 4:48 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  What is the worst religion in existence? Hi600 89 6189 May 6, 2023 at 12:55 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Pride - the worst sin according to C.S.Lewis Duty 72 7331 February 25, 2023 at 8:08 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  What would an atheist say if someone said "Hallelujah, you're my savior man." Woah0 16 1435 September 22, 2022 at 6:35 pm
Last Post: Simon Moon
Information The worst thing according to Iranians Eclectic 2 847 September 19, 2022 at 4:32 pm
Last Post: Eclectic
Lightbulb POLL: As an Atheist, What Do You View as Being the Most Rational Political Outlook? Engel 124 35399 June 1, 2022 at 2:19 pm
Last Post: Simon Moon
  Atheists: I have tips of advice why you are a hated non religious dogmatic group inUS Rinni92 13 2866 August 5, 2020 at 3:43 pm
Last Post: Sal
  A possibly new perspective on this thing that we know as God. unityconversation 157 14291 March 18, 2020 at 1:08 am
Last Post: Rahn127