Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 4:53 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pascal's Wager (the new version)
Lightbulb 
Pascal's Wager (the new version)
Hi all,

Let's start with a new old topic
Pascal's Wager

I"ll put the statement which I'm trying to prove first

Atheism is a very weak position to take, (Anything is better than nothing)

P(G) is the probability of God existence (which is >0 unless you can prove that God doesn't exist)

V the value of your life
P(V) the probability of your death

P(G)/(P(V)xV) will go to infinity as your life is coming to an end
But as you don't know when are you going to die, you should embrace a religion NOW!
RE: Pascal's Wager (the new version)
Pascal's Wager undermines what it means to have faith in God. Ultimately, you're in it for your own selfish gain. In this case, it's making the best choice given that you might die soon.
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it" ~ Aristotle
(February 27, 2013 at 3:52 am)FallentoReason Wrote: Pascal's Wager undermines what it means to have faith in God. Ultimately, you're in it for your own selfish gain. In this case, it's making the best choice given that you might die soon.
Actually it doesn't matter
As you don't know exactly when are you going to die
You are gambling with your life as if you die suddenly you will lose everything
but if you have a religion you will have a better chance

P.S. this thread is pure statistics; I'll prove later that God must exist
(February 27, 2013 at 4:03 am)Muslim Scholar Wrote:
(February 27, 2013 at 3:52 am)FallentoReason Wrote: Pascal's Wager undermines what it means to have faith in God. Ultimately, you're in it for your own selfish gain. In this case, it's making the best choice given that you might die soon.
Actually it doesn't matter

That's exactly my point. The endgame here is that I choose a religion not because I am sincere in the faith I have, but because statistically I will have the best chance of ending with a good outcome. It throws out the window any notion of being genuine and pursuing a religion for noble causes.
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it" ~ Aristotle
The odds that any specific god is the "right" god is meaningless (because there are an infinite number of possible gods). If you choose to believe, you are certain to believe in one that doesn't really exist. Therefore, it is in no discernible way advantageous to believe.
(February 27, 2013 at 4:07 am)FallentoReason Wrote:
(February 27, 2013 at 4:03 am)Muslim Scholar Wrote: Actually it doesn't matter

That's exactly my point. The endgame here is that I choose a religion not because I am sincere in the faith I have, but because statistically I will have the best chance of ending with a good outcome. It throws out the window any notion of being genuine and pursuing a religion for noble causes.
Let's be specific to the thread topic
My point is just "Anything is better than nothing"

Yes, I agree with you
You will not be faithful as a true believer but you will have something

(February 27, 2013 at 4:10 am)Ryantology Wrote: The odds that any specific god is the "right" god is meaningless (because there are an infinite number of possible gods). If you choose to believe, you are certain to believe in one that doesn't really exist. Therefore, it is in no discernible way advantageous to believe.
Religions are not infinite!

Another suggestion is to start eliminating false/impossible Gods
(February 27, 2013 at 4:16 am)Muslim Scholar Wrote: Religions are not infinite!

There is absolutely no limit on how many gods there can be, because all one needs to do is imagine one and believe in it.

Quote:Another suggestion is to start eliminating false/impossible Gods

I did. That's why I'm an atheist.
In that case, I agree with you. In practical terms though, I can't bring myself to live under religious belief X because I won't be sincere about it. I'll be living a lie because I'm not being true to myself. Pascal's Wager simply isn't a method that would work in reality. It's only good philosophically.
(February 27, 2013 at 4:21 am)FallentoReason Wrote: In that case, I agree with you. In practical terms though, I can't bring myself to live under religious belief X because I won't be sincere about it. I'll be living a lie because I'm not being true to myself. Pascal's Wager simply isn't a method that would work in reality. It's only good philosophically.
In Islam Prophet Mohamed stated very clearly that you should be a Muslim even if you don't believe 100%
He said practicing Islam will increase the faith in your heart

So It is not a lie even if you waged

When prophet Mohamed concurred Mecca, he came to the opposition leader (Abi Sufian) and said to him: Isn't time to believe that there is no God but Allah
He said: If our (False) Gods were true, they should have helped us
Mohamed said: And I'm the prophet of Allah
He said: there is still something in my heart about that
Mohamed said: Even though become a Muslim and this will vanish
He embraced Islam and became a good Muslim after that
What do we have here... claims that believing will make you realise it's the true religion & Mohammad's anecdote that is vague and applicable to all religions across the board...

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Theists: Hitchens Wager chimp3 182 14997 April 28, 2018 at 2:27 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Very short version of the long argument. Mystic 68 10629 September 18, 2017 at 9:38 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Trolley problem: 2035 version JuliaL 11 2417 May 27, 2015 at 9:00 pm
Last Post: ignoramus
  Pascal's wager GodlessGirl 67 15724 August 10, 2012 at 3:04 am
Last Post: Whateverist