Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 9:24 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Theists: Hitchens Wager
Theists: Hitchens Wager
Name one moral action or statement that a believer can perform or state that an atheist can not.
God thinks it's fun to confuse primates. Larsen's God!

RE: Theists: Hitchens Wager
"Everyone else should behave according to the same moral system I do"
Everyone else should behave according to the same moral system that I do.  Wink

Though, I don't think that's representative of what Chimp is looking for, lol.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
A believer may donate a million dollars to charity in the hopes that it will help him reach heaven. An atheist, not believing in heaven, may be less likely to do that.
(April 22, 2018 at 1:31 pm)henryp Wrote: "Everyone else should behave according to the same moral system I do"

Anyone is capable of that, they are called assholes.

(April 22, 2018 at 2:29 pm)chimp3 Wrote:
(April 22, 2018 at 1:31 pm)henryp Wrote: "Everyone else should behave according to the same moral system I do"

Anyone is capable of that, they are called assholes.

You pushed the eject button on this thread awfully quick.
(April 22, 2018 at 2:19 pm)Alexmahone Wrote: A believer may donate a million dollars to charity in the  hopes that it will help him reach heaven. An atheist, not believing in heaven, may be less likely to do that.

Making a donation in the hope of a reward isn't a moral act.

Boru

This may or may not qualify, depending on the moral system being considered.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(April 22, 2018 at 2:19 pm)Alexmahone Wrote: A believer may donate a million dollars to charity in the  hopes that it will help him reach heaven. An atheist, not believing in heaven, may be less likely to do that.

Donating to charity is the moral action. Reaching heaven is the motivation.

(April 22, 2018 at 2:35 pm)henryp Wrote:
(April 22, 2018 at 2:29 pm)chimp3 Wrote: Anyone is capable of that, they are called assholes.

You pushed the eject button on this thread awfully quick.

Still, no good answers to the wager.

(April 22, 2018 at 2:57 pm)chimp3 Wrote:

Donating to charity is the moral action. Reaching heaven is the motivation.

(April 22, 2018 at 2:35 pm)henryp Wrote: You pushed the eject button on this thread awfully quick.

Still, no good answers to the wager.

Oh no!  Was your response to me serious?  I thought it was a joke.

Anyone can state that.

It's not something that an atheist can't do.

And an atheist may be more likely to do it for other reasons. Like actually giving a shit about people instead of trying to please God or get to Heaven.

For starters, if I had 100 million I'd give like 90 million to charity just because I don't need all that money.

The hopes to get to heaven part isn't relevant morally. All that matters is the donating to charity. And that is something an atheist can do just as much as a theist.

Also, what's more, a theist is more likely to donate it to the church... which puts them at a disadvantage morally.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Lightbulb Pascal's Wager (the new version) Muslim Scholar 153 37614 March 12, 2013 at 1:27 am
Last Post: KichigaiNeko
  Pascal's wager GodlessGirl 67 15642 August 10, 2012 at 3:04 am
Last Post: Whateverist