Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 10:28 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why do you blame god...
Why do you blame god...
This is something i can't figure out.

Let's say you have a job interview. You go in, the interview goes well and you get the job and the first thing you do is say, "thank you jesus for getting me this job."

You didn't get the job because of jesus or god. You got it because you were qualified and look like a good prospect to fill the position.

In other words, you got the job because of the hard work and achievements YOU have accomplished.

By blaming god for getting the job, you have just discounted all the work you have done to get that job. Your education, your study, your hard work, training, achieveing, being good at what you do.

Why on earth would you hand all that over to god? You should be proud of the things you have accomplished. Take credit for you own victories!!!
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Einstein
RE: Why do you blame god...
Well obviously, god gave you those qualities, made you do all that work and studying, so it is essentially his doing that you got that job. Obviously.
If you believe it, question it. If you question it, get an answer. If you have an answer, does that answer satisfy reality? Does it satisfy you? Probably not. For no one else will agree with you, not really.
Well blaming God or giving god credit is as silly as blaming Mickey Mouse or giving him credit.
Because God.
I can understand that if you believed in god you felt the need to give him credit(not all, but some) for your success in the interview. What I can't understand is that same person would then only blame him/herself if the interview had failed.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
(February 27, 2013 at 1:25 pm)Faith No More Wrote: I can understand that if you believed in god you felt the need to give him credit(not all, but some) for your success in the interview. What I can't understand is that same person would then only blame him/herself if the interview had failed.

EXACTLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Einstein

I'm reminded of a similar question about praying that your nation's Olympic athletes win gold medals. What happens if they then do go on to win gold medals? Do you then say, "Meh. They didn't deserve it as they wouldn't have won otherwise..." ? (And as a real test of faith, let's see how many theistic gold medalists who prayed for success before the event are willing to volunteer to return their medals because they cheated and used divine intervention?)

"Please pee into the celestial cup. We can't have no performance enhancing gods involved..."

[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
(February 27, 2013 at 4:52 pm)apophenia Wrote:

I'm reminded of a similar question about praying that your nation's Olympic athletes win gold medals. What happens if they then do go on to win gold medals? Do you then say, "Meh. They didn't deserve it as they wouldn't have won otherwise..." ? (And as a real test of faith, let's see how many theistic gold medalists who prayed for success before the event are willing to volunteer to return their medals because they cheated and used divine intervention?)

"Please pee into the celestial cup. We can't have no performance enhancing gods involved..."

I really wish I could give you double kudos for that one. Apo, you are a rockstar!
(February 27, 2013 at 12:56 pm)Question Mark Wrote: Well obviously, god gave you those qualities, made you do all that work and studying, so it is essentially his doing that you got that job. Obviously.
Let's say, just for the sake of this arguement, that god did give you those abilities. You still couldn't say that God made the decision for you to get to the job and work hard. Maybe he made you a hard worker, and made you smarter than others. YOU are the one who went to colleges, YOU are the one who filled out the application. Let's say that I made a cartoon, that did whatever after I created it. I put in the initial factors. The attributes, if you will. I'm not the one who made this cartoon move, I just gave it characteristics, and it did what it wanted. It has free will. It does the work. Now if I was making the cartoon move every second, and I made my stick figure fill out an application, then yes, I would be controlling the life of this man. That however contradicts God, because God supposedly gave us free will. So I would be the one filling out the paperwork. Not God. This would be an example of God's laziness.
Because religion makes a point of teaching people (ad nauseam) that they are worthless, no-good, scumbags and they have to give their fucking god all the credit.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Exclamation Why Atheism is Incoherent & You Aren't as Smart as You Think You Are Seax 60 4906 March 19, 2021 at 9:43 am
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  Why are you chasing the idea of the existence of a God? WinterHold 26 3272 August 7, 2018 at 2:05 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Why most arguments for God prove God. Mystic 67 8642 March 25, 2017 at 12:57 pm
Last Post: Fred Hampton
  Theist Posters: Why do you believe your God exists? SuperSentient 65 14458 March 15, 2017 at 7:56 am
Last Post: Cyberman
  Why do you actually believe in God? Veritas_Vincit 162 18333 July 10, 2016 at 6:55 pm
Last Post: LivingNumbers6.626
  Why the religious will never admit you won the argument (and why they don't care) Veritas_Vincit 166 20260 June 30, 2016 at 1:00 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Even if you choose not to believe in god, you’re actually believing in god Blueyedlion 160 15593 June 5, 2016 at 6:07 am
Last Post: robvalue
  I'm beginning to have a growing hatred for Christians, do you blame me GoHalos1993 11 2279 May 23, 2016 at 12:28 pm
Last Post: Drich
  Christians - even the Bible says that Jesus was not God so why do you say he was ? jenny1972 299 43227 November 3, 2015 at 8:07 pm
Last Post: jenny1972
  Why would you want to believe in god? Spooky 24 4579 July 3, 2015 at 4:38 pm
Last Post: Spooky