Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 20, 2024, 8:13 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why do you actually believe in God?
Why do you actually believe in God?
I know most people on this forum don't, for those who believe (or used to):
  • How do you define 'God'? 
  • Why do you (or did you) believe that this God exists? 
RE: Why do you actually believe in God?
When I was a kid, I lived across the street from a church where my grandmother was a Sunday school teacher. I was very close to her, and she fed me all the nice Jesus stuff that kinder adults tell kids when they don't want to scare them with hellfire. There's a certain amount of trust that has to go on between a child, and an adult family member, and she took advantage of that. Back then I figured as old as she was, if it wasn't true, she would have figured it out by then.

I was raised in the church. Then I grew out of it. Not too hard when you grow up in a more liberal church, though. Nobody's gonna beat you to death, or kick you out of the house in my family.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

(June 29, 2016 at 8:09 am)Veritas_Vincit Wrote: I know most people on this forum don't, for those who believe (or used to):
  • How do you define 'God'? [1]
  • Why do you (or did you) believe that this God exists? [2]

1) I say this while emphasizing that I don't "define" god and then try to demonstrate that this definition exists. Any single 'definition' of god will always be inadequate and will always fail to account for the entire reality. I discover that this strange thing exists, and only later the term "god" becomes a convenient short-hand for that reality. Anyways, I find this to be a good starting point:

The subsistent act of 'being' = god

2) If some act of being does not subsist in itself, then any and every act of being is conditioned upon a synchronously existing infinity of conditioned acts of being. I don't see how that is possible. If it is impossible, then there MUST exist some act of being which is itself, unconditional: i.e. its own act of being is subsistent. I conclude, therefore, that the subsistent act of being exists.
1.) God Paradox. Being able to exist in spite of its contradictions. Which is easy to debunk, but it's still probably one of the better answers out there.

2.) Inherited. The beliefs were never truly my own. Just things indoctrinated into me as a child. This fucked up my psyche more than I realized. Since none of my beliefs were my own I was insecure of them and any disagreement and challenge to any of my beliefs in general I interpreted as an attack. Now that I've expanded my mind and started questioning my own beliefs, they are truly my own. They've been thought out logically, tested, understood, and accepted. And I know I'll be open enough to repeat the process in light of new information or opposing ideas, so they're reinforced and I'm more secured in them, and thus am a better person for it.
I wasn't indoctrinated, but if I had of been:

1) Whatever my parents say it is

2) Indoctrination

Hopefully followed by

3) Critical thinking

4) Atheism

I wish I could be sure I would have got that far. Depends on just how hard I was indoctrinated, probably.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
God is that which the greater than which cannot be conceived.

Despite any emotional objections that I feel, I must bow to what I believe is the irrefutable logic of Aquinas.
(June 29, 2016 at 10:02 am)robvalue Wrote: I wasn't indoctrinated, but if I had of been:

1) Whatever my parents say it is

2) Indoctrination

Hopefully followed by

3) Critical thinking

4) Atheism

I wish I could be sure I would have got that far. Depends on just how hard I was indoctrinated, probably.

Oh, yeah. It can be bad. It took me 20+ years just to have the 'crisis of faith' necessary to be where I am now. Some people go even longer than that. Some people die indoctrinated, and that's just sad.
It is heartbreaking to me.

A whole life? Probably the only life?

People often forget to turn the dumb Pascal's Wager around and ask how much time, effort and money they've wasted if they are wrong. And how many life decisions have been made sub-optimally. And how many other minds have they poisoned...
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
(June 29, 2016 at 10:02 am)ChadWooters Wrote: God is that which the greater than which cannot be conceived.

Uh... what??
Nolite te bastardes carborundorum.
(June 29, 2016 at 10:56 am)The_Empress Wrote:
(June 29, 2016 at 10:02 am)ChadWooters Wrote: God is that which the greater than which cannot be conceived.

Uh... what??

Just a roundabout way of saying he's incomprehensible.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Exclamation Why Atheism is Incoherent & You Aren't as Smart as You Think You Are Seax 60 4893 March 19, 2021 at 9:43 am
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  What do you believe in that hasnt been proven to exist? goombah111 197 23743 March 5, 2021 at 6:47 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
  If there is a God(s) it/they clearly don't want us to believe in them, no? Duty 12 1398 April 5, 2020 at 8:36 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Why you all need others, to believe? LastPoet 24 3816 December 26, 2019 at 10:09 am
  Ways to Get Into Heaven! Or Whatever You Believe in! Jade-Green Stone 14 2521 January 24, 2019 at 2:54 pm
Last Post: deanabiepepler
  For those who believe the god of abraham was behind the big bang or evolution android17ak47 49 7849 November 1, 2018 at 10:52 am
Last Post: Abaddon_ire
  Why are you chasing the idea of the existence of a God? WinterHold 26 3258 August 7, 2018 at 2:05 pm
  List of reasons to believe God exists? henryp 428 83973 January 21, 2018 at 2:56 am
Last Post: Abaddon_ire
  Look i don't really care if you believe or don't believe Ronia 20 7850 August 25, 2017 at 4:28 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  People assuming you believe in a God Der/die AtheistIn 35 10206 July 19, 2017 at 10:24 am
Last Post: Astonished