Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 1:37 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
We've ruined the sea
We've ruined the sea
I'm not really sure how to present this other than to share with you the videos I watched.

The exceptionally high concentrations of pelagic plastics and the effects of broken down polymers in the ocean are mind-blowing.

The sea is essentially plastic soup. Fish are having their genetics changed from constantly consuming this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D41rO7mL6zM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GX-y1Z1w00

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5ZKk11R56o
RE: We've ruined the sea
Yeah I know. And we are told that the oceans are "warming" I wonders why?

Do we clean it up? Hell fuck no.... just create a commodity that can be traded on the world stock exchange and DO fuck all! Way to go "greenies"
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
Well Kichi, it's not Australia's problem. But the countries who are responsible certainly should get out into the plastic whirlpool and start fucking cleaning.

That said, what BP did was probably way worse anyway.
For Religion & Health see:[/b][/size] Williams & Sternthal. (2007). Spirituality, religion and health: Evidence and research directions. Med. J. Aust., 186(10), S47-S50. -LINK

The WIN/Gallup End of Year Survey 2013 found the US was perceived to be the greatest threat to world peace by a huge margin, with 24% of respondents fearful of the US followed by: 8% for Pakistan, and 6% for China. This was followed by 5% each for: Afghanistan, Iran, Israel, North Korea. -LINK

"That's disgusting. There were clean athletes out there that have had their whole careers ruined by people like Lance Armstrong who just bended thoughts to fit their circumstances. He didn't look up cheating because he wanted to stop, he wanted to justify what he was doing and to keep that continuing on." - Nicole Cooke
(March 1, 2013 at 7:03 am)Aractus Wrote: Well Kichi, it's not Australia's problem.

It's Australia's problem as well as everyone else's.

As for BP, one oil spill, as big as it was, doesn't come close to comparing with the effects we've caused on the entirety of oceans on this planet.
It is everyone's problem and it is impossible to clean. The sea and the broken down polymers have mixed. How do you clean entire oceans of confetti?
(March 1, 2013 at 12:29 pm)naimless Wrote: It is everyone's problem and it is impossible to clean. The sea and the broken down polymers have mixed. How do you clean entire oceans of confetti?

Some sort of sieve?

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

Nothing is impossible.... it may have a funding difficulty, though....
Perhaps some funding into bio-safe polymer solvents would help.
(March 1, 2013 at 12:35 pm)downbeatplumb Wrote: Some sort of sieve?

We'd end up catching fish in them and causing more problems.
[Image: SigBarSping_zpscd7e35e1.png]
I assumed he was joking... a sieve the size of a moving ocean, small enough to catch broken down polymers and somehow empty them to a place where they won't end up in the sea again.

I don't even know why I am bothering sharing this shit to be honest. People will never understand the consequences of their actions. Too busy using the latest technology to laugh at cats.
Polymers degrade at the molecular level all the way down to singular molecules.

As such, capturing all human-made polymers in the ocean is rather difficult, disregarding catching larger, unwanted items.

Instead of a sieve, you need something that operates on the molecular level.
Slave to the Patriarchy no more

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Cool deep-sea lady lukec 1 1453 April 20, 2010 at 3:09 am
Last Post: leo-rcc