Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 5:12 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
pointing out the unethical treatment of women in religions makes me a meanie?
pointing out the unethical treatment of women in religions makes me a meanie?
OK so i shared a post on fb about women being oppressed by religion and government etc. And justified by "and thus saythe god". It was picture with a Muslim girl. I then get one of my weekend co workers commenting on the post saying it was offensive and disrespectful. I explain what women go through because of the religion and government backed by religion (Iran, Pakistan, Iraq, etc.) And basically it has been this long drawn out discussion from a butt hurt catholic that just pays lip service and does not know jack shit. She compared it to having different taste in religion for example. But it got me thinking about how i can stand up and post my view in correlation with this post and explain why and how this is unethical and she should not be mad at me. That it was in the bible, Koran blah blah blah and i even go so far as to explain how it affected women and if it was just a change in location she would probably be dead, beaten, raped, etc and no justice be served etc. But i am called unhumble, disrespectful, double standard, hypocritical, basically just mean. She cussed and spoke down to me throughout this whole thing while i refrained from such acts though i thought otherwise. I gave explanation why this was wrong and it wasn't opinion and she could look these thing up that i wasn't lying. She never stated so far i was she just continued saying she was offended. Alot was said so i am trying give the major points.

But why am i (or atheists) being disrespectful? Even though i back up my argument and it is their religion that makes the unethical stance.

When people say their morals are derived from their holy book, why am i the bad guy when pointing out, explaining, showing, and proving their not?

Why do people proclaim the bible but know jack shit off it? Is it just social pressure? Fear?

This person is some what of a friend and i try to be honest but gentle with her but i'm just out of answers any more. Have any of you gone through this? Any advice? Is it hopeless? I feel like it is gonna get to a point no matter how gentle, honest or right i am shits gonna go sour. Normally i wouldn't give a rats ass but she is good person but one thats word wanna make me grind her face into a bible!

So yeah anyone relate or have and advice or stories of their own? ThanksSmile
RE: pointing out the unethical treatment of women in religions makes me a meanie?
Dumb people kling on to the things which gives them the delusion of not being dumb in sometimes very unreasonable ways.

You would have to book 2 flights to Iran and watch a stoning with her to have her convinced.
RE: pointing out the unethical treatment of women in religions makes me a meanie?
Religion is holy, in the worst kind of sense. You are not supposed to criticize it, because that is racist/narrow-minded/evil. What I fail to understand is how is pointing out that living by the standards of men centuries past is justifiable in today's world is reactionary? But remember, not all are ready to be plugged out of the Matrix. Every woman has the right to live her life as she wants without being criticized, but when criticized she needs to be able to justify why she leads the life she does.
When I was young, there was a god with infinite power protecting me. Is there anyone else who felt that way? And was sure about it? but the first time I fell in love, I was thrown down - or maybe I broke free - and I bade farewell to God and became human. Now I don't have God's protection, and I walk on the ground without wings, but I don't regret this hardship. I want to live as a person. -Arina Tanemura

You're not being disrespectful. When someone offers nothing more to something I've said than, "That offends me. You can't say that." I say, "Cool story, bro. You have the right to be offended. Phaggot. Now, if you want to discuss - If you want to exchange ideas and opinions - If you want to learn from this exchange - then... say something relevant."

Try it. Works wonders.
(March 2, 2013 at 3:27 am)Gilgamesh Wrote: You're not being disrespectful. When someone offers nothing more to something I've said than, "That offends me. You can't say that." I say, "Cool story, bro. You have the right to be offended. Phaggot. Now, if you want to discuss - If you want to exchange ideas and opinions - If you want to learn from this exchange - then... say something relevant."

Try it. Works wonders.

Lol i think i will try this but without phaggot haha i still have to work with this women. Unfortunately

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What does Sam Harris mean by saying that religions are failed sciences? FlatAssembler 18 910 January 23, 2024 at 1:32 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Dawkins, Rowling, Sunak et al on Trans Issue and Women's Rights. Nishant Xavier 63 2821 July 15, 2023 at 12:50 am
Last Post: Paleophyte
  What makes people irrational thinkers? SlowCalculations 228 17867 January 15, 2022 at 9:55 am
Last Post: Belacqua
  It makes me sad Rahn127 7 1652 April 24, 2019 at 10:55 am
Last Post: LostLocke
  How would Abrahamic religions end? mota 18 8644 August 2, 2018 at 6:56 am
Last Post: Crossless2.0
  Does atheism oppose the world religions? cosmology 31 6058 January 4, 2018 at 10:52 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Atheistic religions Der/die AtheistIn 21 6671 August 10, 2017 at 1:36 pm
Last Post: Harry Nevis
  What makes people believe in religion? LetThereBeNoGod 11 3148 February 21, 2017 at 2:39 pm
Last Post: Mr Greene
  Are there any scientific books or studies that explain what makes a person religious? WisdomOfTheTrees 13 2522 February 9, 2017 at 2:33 am
Last Post: Mirek-Polska
  Do religions represent God? Little Rik 138 22364 February 3, 2017 at 10:36 am
Last Post: Little Rik