Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 12:50 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Does atheism oppose the world religions?
Does atheism oppose the world religions?
Is it necessary to debate between atheism and a religion?

The bold man has no hair. We can say, what he has non-existent hair. The atheist comes to any theist, looks at his god. This god has following properties, according to theist: existent, loving, judging, omnipresent (or any properties the theist thinks of his god). Then, the procedure of atheism removes one single property from this list: existence. Remains: loving, judging, omnipresent, etc.
So, the atheists encompasses all gods of theism-s, but removing the property of existence. So, one can finally conclude what atheism is: it is having the Nonexistent Loving God, so an atheist feels free today to love and tomorrow to reject love's existence. Am I right?

No need for militant atheism -- Existent God and Nonexistent God are two different Gods:
>snip<

Moderator Notice
Video link snipped for violating 30/30 rule.
~SC
RE: Does atheism oppose the world religions?
What is this I don't even.

I'm putting 400 quatloos on the newcomer being a sock.
Urbs Antiqua Fuit Studiisque Asperrima Belli

Home
Somebody's angweee because we aren't blindly swallowing. Sorry Lucy we are not the ones who need some splannen.
Quote:The bold man has no hair
[Image: yul-brynner-1.jpg]

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(January 1, 2018 at 9:48 am)cosmology Wrote: Is it necessary to debate between atheism and a religion?

The bold man has no hair. We can say, what he has non-existent hair. The atheist comes to any theist, looks at his god. This god has following properties, according to theist: existent, loving, judging, omnipresent (or any properties the theist thinks of his god). Then, the procedure of atheism removes one single property from this list: existence. Remains: loving, judging, omnipresent, etc.
So, the atheists encompasses all gods of theism-s, but removing the property of existence. So, one can finally conclude what atheism is: it is having the Nonexistent Loving God, so an atheist feels free today to love and tomorrow to reject love's existence. Am I right?

No need for militant atheism -- Existent God and Nonexistent God are two different Gods:
>snip<

Moderator Notice
~SC

There are no existent gods. That is  our stance unless someone can prove otherwise.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

(January 1, 2018 at 9:48 am)cosmology Wrote: Is it necessary to debate between atheism and a religion?

>snip<

Moderator Notice
~SC

I recommend you adjust the tinfoil in your hat.

>snip<

Moderator Notice
~SC

lol wut?

Atheists, for the most part, look at definitions of God and demonstrate them to be logically incoherent.  Demonstrate that the supposed properties of a God cannot logically coexist, and you demonstrate that the God idea being put forth by another person cannot represent an existent being.

For example, God cannot be all-loving, all-knowing and all-powerful, or innocents (like babies) would not be allowed by Him to suffer.  That innocent babies suffer is good evidence that such a God idea cannot represent an actual existent being.

This does not remove only "existence" from that idea of God-- it makes all the other properties irrelevant, since their is no existent being which can possibly have them.

>snip<

Moderator Notice
~SC

PGJ, try something new
Quote:To know yet to think that one does not know is best; Not to know yet to think that one knows will lead to difficulty.
- Lau Tzu

Join me on atheistforums Slack Cool Shades (pester tibs via pm if you need invite) Tongue

(January 1, 2018 at 4:02 pm)Aoi Magi Wrote:

>snip<

Moderator Notice
~SC

PGJ, try something new

Yup, mehinks so as well.
If you get to thinking you’re a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else’s dog around.

The bold man has no hair. We can say, what he has non-existent hair. The atheist comes to any theist, looks at his god. This god has following properties, according to theist: (or any properties the theist thinks of his god). Then, the procedure of atheism removes one single property from this list: existence. Remains: loving, judging, omnipresent, etc.

>snip<

Moderator Notice
~SC

Sorry, but existence is not an attribute.

It sounds like you are saying (correct me if I am misunderstanding), "here are 2 different gods, one has the following attributes: existent, loving, judging, omnipresent, etc. And the other one has all the same attributes, except it doesn't exist".

But if something doesn't exist, it can not have the types of attributes you are assigning to it (except maybe as a fictional character).

As for love, it is the label we put on a series of feelings we experience. It is part of our biology.
Love does not exist on its own without humans experiencing it. It's not like love is floating around in the universe waiting to inhabit a person.

I debate theists because many forms of theism have real world, negative consequences.

You'd believe if you just opened your heart" is a terrible argument for religion. It's basically saying, "If you bias yourself enough, you can convince yourself that this is true." If religion were true, people wouldn't need faith to believe it -- it would be supported by good evidence.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What does Sam Harris mean by saying that religions are failed sciences? FlatAssembler 18 1076 January 23, 2024 at 1:32 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Does your atheism come as a package? FrustratedFool 75 5221 October 7, 2023 at 1:50 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  How would Abrahamic religions end? mota 18 8682 August 2, 2018 at 6:56 am
Last Post: Crossless2.0
  Does the roo knows all the answers to atheism Gummro 44 8181 January 29, 2018 at 7:42 pm
Last Post: chimp3
  Does Atheism Matter If You're A Slave? freezone 2 1264 November 28, 2017 at 7:29 pm
Last Post: Fidel_Castronaut
  What date do you estimate atheism will overtake theism in the world population Coveny 49 13077 September 12, 2017 at 9:36 am
Last Post: mordant
  Atheistic religions Der/die AtheistIn 21 6769 August 10, 2017 at 1:36 pm
Last Post: Harry Nevis
  Atheism VS Christian Atheism? IanHulett 80 27103 June 13, 2017 at 11:09 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Does the World Need Religion? phoenix31 85 10158 February 7, 2017 at 4:12 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Do religions represent God? Little Rik 138 22753 February 3, 2017 at 10:36 am
Last Post: Little Rik