Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 1:44 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dawkins, Rowling, Sunak et al on Trans Issue and Women's Rights.
Dawkins, Rowling, Sunak et al on Trans Issue and Women's Rights.
So, let's discuss the Trans Issue. How many genders or sexes are there? Are gender and sex the same? Should child genital mutilation, or so-called sex change surgeries, even for young children, be allowed or promoted as a good thing, when it can be irreparably harmful for life, and regretted later on? Etc. For those who make the decision as 18+ year adults, that's one thing. But children?

Recently, we've had people from all across the Political Spectrum, i.e. People on Both Left and Right, and People from a variety of religious convictions and non-convictions, including Atheists like Dawkins, devout Hindus like British-Indian PM Rishi Sunak, and of course famous Harry Potter Author, J.K. or Joanne Kathleen Rowling, not at all coming to this issue from a Biblical Perspective, acknowledge there are serious challenges/issues that need to be discussed here. And of course, J K Rowling in particular has been the object of almost incredible hate simply for saying, in essence, she believes a man who attempts to change his sex is not completely and fully a Biological Woman. Richard Dawkins, the well known Militant Atheist, has said there are only 2 sexes or genders, and these are identical. Rishi Sunak said Biology is still the best determinant of who is a woman or a man. Many have called this the defining the women's rights issue of our time, whether men, even some who just identify as women without a full-blown surgery, should then be allowed into women's bathrooms/locker rooms, and compete in women's sports, like athletics, swimming etc. 

And of course, Piers Morgan, talk show host, when someone on his show said, "we can identify as whatever we want", so that in this perspective, there could be a 100 Genders, Morgan replied: "Ok, then, I identify as a Black Lesbian". Lol.

From the Christian Perspective, the answer is very obvious: "1This is the book of the generations of Adam. In the day that God created man, He made him in His own likeness. 2Male and female He created them, and He blessed them." (Gen 5:1-2). This is confirmed by basic biology. 

Thoughts? 
Let's Debate.
God Bless.
RE: Dawkins, Rowling, Sunak et al on Trans Issue and Women's Rights.
If you are going to roll out child genital mutilation, where do you stand on the issue of circumcision?

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

Trans and gender identification are two separate things.

I fully support the trans community. It has to be difficult to grow up realizing you were born in the wrong body.

As for gender identification, as made-up a concept as it is, it's still harmless compared to religion.

As for women's rights. Yeah, they need 'em.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
Well, if you're worried about children's genitals getting mutilated, you can rest easy in knowing that the youngest I've been able to verify of any trans person getting genital surgery is sixteen. And even that's controversial among medical authorities.

When it comes to prepubescent children, transition basically boils down to puberty blockers (100% reversible and actually given to children for non-trans-related reasons) and just letting them dress and identify themselves the way they want to. That's it.

For the record, even with children, detransitioning is rare. Like, 1 in 40 after five years rare.

When it comes to debating whether or not people should be allowed to exist based on the way they identify themselves (as long as they harm nobody else in their quest to do so), well:

Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.
No offense, but 1 in 40 isn't rare in my book.
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
(July 10, 2023 at 9:14 pm)Nishant Xavier Wrote: So, let's discuss the Trans Issue. How many genders or sexes are there? Are gender and sex the same? Should child genital mutilation, or so-called sex change surgeries, even for young children, be allowed or promoted as a good thing, when it can be irreparably harmful for life, and regretted later on? Etc. For those who make the decision as 18+ year adults, that's one thing. But children?

There are two sexes, and about as many genders as anyone can imagine.  You might be onto something about mutilating the genitals of children, though.  Circumcision and clitoral removal are barbaric.  Talk to your fellow abrahamists about it.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(July 10, 2023 at 9:40 pm)Angrboda Wrote: No offense, but 1 in 40 isn't rare in my book.
True, but it's nowhere near common enough of a phoenomenon to treat like some sort of counterargument to just letting trans kids transition. Especially when, as I've mentioned earlier, what letting them transition at that age actually entails (read: using their preferred pronouns, letting them wear their preferred clothes, and puberty blockers that can easily be discontinued if they want to) is pretty low-stakes.

Plus, the ones who did detransition tended to do so at a very young age (read: before they reached ten.)

1. I don't give a shit what Dawkins says on many issues. He doesn't speak for all atheists.

2. I don't give a shit about what the Brit PM says. He doesn't speak for all Hindus.

3. Rowling is a known transphobe, so I don't give a shit about what she has to say.

4. Quoting a book of fiction from an event that didn't happen is about as realistic as telling me I have an angry aura.
Dying to live, living to die.
(July 10, 2023 at 9:50 pm)The Grand Nudger Wrote:
(July 10, 2023 at 9:14 pm)Nishant Xavier Wrote: So, let's discuss the Trans Issue. How many genders or sexes are there? Are gender and sex the same? Should child genital mutilation, or so-called sex change surgeries, even for young children, be allowed or promoted as a good thing, when it can be irreparably harmful for life, and regretted later on? Etc. For those who make the decision as 18+ year adults, that's one thing. But children?

There are two sexes, and about as many genders as anyone can imagine.

Well, two main sexes, anyway. Remember that intersex people are still a thing.

I've seen a study that says: "The [2015 US Transgender] survey claims that 11% of female respondents reverted back to their original sex. Transgender men had a reversion rate of 4%."

Arewethereyet, and GN: "Circumcision and clitoral removal are barbaric.  Talk to your fellow abrahamists about it.". Yes, so-called female-circumcision is completely and inherently wrong, and God never asked for such a horrible thing; as for male circumcision, it was always planned as something only temporary, and Jesus Christ has redeemed us Christians from the necessity of it; painful circumcision now being replaced, by the Blood of Christ, by painless Baptism. As St. Thomas observes, by circumcision men (like Abraham etc) of old testified that Christ was yet to come, and painful expiation of sins had yet to be made. But by Holy Baptism, we now testify that Christ has already come, and redeemed us from our sins on the Cross. The Moral Precepts of the Gospel go beyond that of the OT, for e.g. Christ commands to forgive unconditionally and love even our Enemies and not just our Neighbors only, but many of the ceremonial precepts of the OT were nailed to the Cross.

So take it up with the Judaizers, you know, those whose claims the Apostles rejected in the Council of Jerusalem in A.D. 48, in Acts 15, when they unanimously decreed Circumcision was in no way necessary for Christians, but only the Grace of Jesus Christ. Jews of course, still under the law, believe the same error, and our Muslim friends also, misguided into what is basically an Arabian form of Judaism, with some changes, practice circumcision and other errors under the law.

Regards,
Xavier.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Dawkins loses humanist title Foxaèr 165 6506 June 6, 2021 at 1:45 am
Last Post: Peebothuhlu
  Richard Dawkins interviews Saudi Arabian atheist Rana Ahmad AniKoferBo 2 803 July 22, 2020 at 12:40 pm
Last Post: Brian37
Information [Serious] How many reasonable solutions are there to any particular social issue? Prof.Lunaphiles 69 7034 April 11, 2020 at 8:55 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Ricky Gervais won Dawkins award this year Fake Messiah 13 2284 September 6, 2019 at 8:25 pm
Last Post: brewer
  International Blasphemy Rights Day! chimp3 29 3461 September 29, 2018 at 8:10 pm
Last Post: chimp3
  My biggest issue with theists DodosAreDead 73 11474 August 5, 2018 at 12:55 am
Last Post: Cyberman
  Dawkins writing kid's version of "The God Delusion" - you mad bro? Foxaèr 35 5689 August 2, 2018 at 9:08 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Geoff Robson has a hardon for Dawkins Foxaèr 7 1703 May 10, 2018 at 5:55 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  What Major Intellectual Issue Most Keeps You From Accepting The Christian Narrative? Captain Hook 324 32820 March 21, 2018 at 1:11 pm
Last Post: Foxaèr
  What are your thoughts on Richard Dawkins? NuclearEnergy 96 12974 December 6, 2017 at 3:06 am
Last Post: Bow Before Zeus