Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 8:31 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"Some stuff came up"
"Some stuff came up"
Completely unrelated to this forum but I had a workplace experience I must share.

As some may know about me, I run a small business of about 15 employees. Since the time I first came to this business in 1992, I've heard a lot of calls requesting an excused absence but never one quite like this.

This relatively new employee had worked for me for the last several months. Her attendance had deteriorated in the last month or so as she'd been missing work on a weekly basis for one reason or another. Yesterday, I came into work to find a message from her on our company voicemail left at 4:30 AM.

She announced she wouldn't be coming into work because "some stuff came up".

Seriously, that was it.

"Some stuff came up".

Here I am thinking, "that's fine ...when you're calling off an RSVP for someone's party. But for a job, that's not sufficient."

When I spoke with her and her supervisor about the event and her attendance problem, she angrily stormed out of the meeting and quit.

I'm still just amazed at all this. My wife seems to think it's a generational issue, that young adults in America today are spoiled and full of a sense of entitlement. Anyone else have any thoughts on this?
Atheist Forums Hall of Shame:
"The trinity can be equated to having your cake and eating it too."
...      -Lucent, trying to defend the Trinity concept
"(Yahweh's) actions are good because (Yahweh) is the ultimate standard of goodness. That’s not begging the question"
...       -Statler Waldorf, Christian apologist
RE: "Some stuff came up"
I wouldnt dare do anything like that, then again we have a different "working culture" here.

Did you ask what the "stuff" was?
I agree with your wife. I take it she was a 20-something?
(March 7, 2013 at 9:40 pm)DeistPaladin Wrote: My wife seems to think it's a generational issue, that young adults in America today are spoiled and full of a sense of entitlement.

I have sometimes thought that I am an abberation of my generation. I am still uncertain on the issue, however I can say without a doubt that I would never even think of doing something this rude and disrespectful, regardless of whether or not there would be any reprecussions.
(March 7, 2013 at 9:54 pm)Darkstar Wrote:
(March 7, 2013 at 9:40 pm)DeistPaladin Wrote: My wife seems to think it's a generational issue, that young adults in America today are spoiled and full of a sense of entitlement.

I have sometimes thought that I am an abberation of my generation. I am still uncertain on the issue, however I can say without a doubt that I would never even think of doing something this rude and disrespectful, regardless of whether or not there would be any reprecussions.

Perhaps you're not listening to enough hip hop. Maybe more rap music will help you align better with your generation?

I kid. Good for you and I feel the same way. I honor commitments unless there is an important and unexpected reason not to. Those who don't do the same don't warrant future engagements.
(March 7, 2013 at 9:40 pm)DeistPaladin Wrote: I'm still just amazed at all this. My wife seems to think it's a generational issue, that young adults in America today are spoiled and full of a sense of entitlement. Anyone else have any thoughts on this?

It could be something going on in her life that she can't talk about.

It could be she hates being there.

It could simply be that she doesn't want to get up.

You never will know.

Given the data presented, anyone postulating about "entitlement" is full of know-nothing bullshit.

Without further information, judgement is insufficient.

It also reeks of oldster "Damn young folks are SO entitled!" (as they suck down millions of dollars in Medicare).

Good for you on gaining an opening -- perhaps you have an opportunity to find someone more invested and interested in a long term relationship with the company.
Slave to the Patriarchy no more
Hmmm

"Stuff came up" could mean alot of things...like

I'm too stoned/drunk/busy with sex-life fuck orf!

OR

....I'm racing around doing four jobs to keep my mum in health care because my father is an arsehole/ I have medical issues I'm trying to resolve and consequently none of your business.

I feel sorry for the girl that she couldn't have thought of a line that was a bit more polite. Hope she finds more work.
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
So when 35 year old managers complain about 20-somethings it is our fault? Fuck that.

The problem is spoken of frequently over here.

http://www.ritaashley.com/2012/09/13/wha...eneration/

Quote:And my newest friend, a recently retired Computer Science Professor, told me she was relived to retire two years ago because of late, the students refused to put in the effort and had no desire to learn why they were doing or learning any given skill. She said they just wanted the answers so they could pass the tests and get out of school. Cheating had become a daily concern. She found their communication skills at sixth grade level and their curiosity, nil. Not one to base my opinion on a sample of one, I queried other IT and CS teaching/training professionals. To a person, they complained of the same thing: Minimal effort for maximum demands and high expectations that once graduated, they would get six figure jobs and/or management positions immediately.

My son is 33 and works in a high school and he complains bitterly about "kids today." I laugh my ass off at him because he sounds like me and like my dad sounded. Still, he does make some good points.
(March 8, 2013 at 1:05 am)Minimalist Wrote: So when 35 year old managers complain about 20-somethings it is our fault? Fuck that.

Hey, we learn from our elders.

Wanna tell me what group famously protested against government while keeping their medicare?

(March 8, 2013 at 1:05 am)Minimalist Wrote: My son is 33 and works in a high school and he complains bitterly about "kids today." I laugh my ass off at him because he sounds like me and like my dad sounded. Still, he does make some good points.

I understand that too well.

To be honest, it's really a culture of assholes getting by and in many cases prospering.

The cycle of dick is eternal.
Slave to the Patriarchy no more
(March 7, 2013 at 9:40 pm)DeistPaladin Wrote: 4:30 AM [...] She announced she wouldn't be coming into work because "some stuff came up".

First thing that popped into my head is that this really means...

"I've been doing blow all night long and am waaaaaay too wasted to come to work."

Of course, that's pure supposition - without more information I couldn't say.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Serious] A thought I had about some people's view on some things medical and other things ShinyCrystals 15 801 October 22, 2023 at 1:31 pm
Last Post: ShinyCrystals
  Are things stuff? no one 8 565 September 7, 2023 at 10:04 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Stuff you have done (that most people haven' t) onlinebiker 54 4126 October 4, 2022 at 2:57 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  This is some cool stuff Tawna 12 1090 April 16, 2022 at 8:21 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Deer Stuff onlinebiker 27 2085 February 7, 2019 at 10:39 pm
Last Post: possibletarian
  What candy came out the year you were born? Foxaèr 23 1710 October 21, 2018 at 11:25 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  She came back for your cable...... Brian37 11 1291 August 16, 2018 at 3:46 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Depressed? write your stuff here WinterHold 14 1149 July 9, 2018 at 6:57 am
  Has God ever wondered where he came from? ignoramus 6 930 July 23, 2017 at 6:57 pm
Last Post: ignoramus
  So my redneck friend came to visit on Friday. Brian37 9 2359 June 5, 2017 at 12:38 pm