Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 4:53 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Deer Stuff
Deer Stuff
I ordered a new .450 Bushmaster upper receiver for my AR-15. It will be my new deer rifle. By an odd twist of rules - this is now the new hot ticket for deer hunting in this part of the state. It used to be shotgun and muzzleloader only - but they now rifles chambered in pistol cartridges. 

I used a cheap single shot - CVA Hunter - in this new cartridge last season - and it worked superb out to 150 meters. I can frequently see shots out to 400 meters, so an upgrade is in order. The AR platform offers the best results for the money.

So - I want "pretty".. Which do you think looks best??

Traditional
[Image: lahtb4zvpoz01.jpg]

Or " retro"

[Image: images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcTKStOgb5qxHvLpDtn8E...GxiRHu0_aC]

I' m leaning towards the walnut...
RE: Deer Stuff
You murdering sociopath!

sorry, please ignore ... I forgot you're American...
carry on ...

Big Grin
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
(February 4, 2019 at 9:27 pm)ignoramus Wrote: You murdering sociopath!

sorry, please ignore ... I forgot you're American...
carry on ...

Big Grin

He said 'deer' not 'dear' hunting.  

But here comes the anti-gun ranting in 3...2...1...

Popcorn

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

Fam Fire Week, the .50 came out to play. I love the look on the LEOs' faces when they rock and roll the first time with Maw Deuce. They kept asking for deer to volunteer for "training purposes". I always have to point out that when the big one is open for business the deer head for Arkansas at warp eleven.
Walnut for sure. You could split the baby and look for black walnut with alot of grain and a dark finish.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(February 5, 2019 at 9:01 am)Gae Bolga Wrote: Walnut for sure.  You could split the baby and look for black walnut with alot of grain and a dark finish.

And - in a hunting rifle - it s warmer to the skin ( if you have ever had your face stuck to a polymer stock for 20 minutes in freezing weather - you would understand) and it' s quieter. Wood makes less noise than plastic if brushed by nylon or rayon - common in cold weather gear.

Plus damn - it just looks great!

Smile
I've only got one rifle with plastic on it, my newest - just haven't gotten around to it yet.  Looking at this.

[Image: 97940.jpg]

-but i have a bunch of pretty wood in my shop that i could use for blanks, so I may go the custom route. Trouble is that i've got a bunch of english walnut, white ash, locust and osage - and that's bow wood...so, you know, competition, lol.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(February 5, 2019 at 9:24 am)IoGae Bolga Wrote: I've only got one rifle with plastic on it, my newest - just haven't gotten around to it yet.  Looking at this.

[Image: 97940.jpg]

-but i have a bunch of pretty wood in my shop that i could use for blanks, so I may go the custom route.  Trouble is that i've got a bunch of english walnut, white ash, locust and osage - and that's bow wood...so, you know, competition, lol.

You would cry if you saw my woodshed.

A couple years ago I got in on a commercial clear cutting - where they took a swath of Osage orange 100 meters wide by 700 meter - part of a fence row.90 percent Osage. Trees over 150 years old - and well over a meter in diameter.

There was a time constraint - they wanted us out by a set date. In 6 days I hauled home 12 cords of Osage - for firewood. I still have a few cord left. It's the highest BTU density of any wood East of the Mississippi river - 30,000,000 BTU per cord.
You burnt it.....?  Somebody outta burn you for a heretic....

-for the uninitiated, wondering wtf biker and I are babbling about......

Wood. All the black plastic stuff doesn't appeal to me. My k10/22t has a laminated stock, which came from the factory. I don't care for it much, and I also would like the stock to be about 1-1/2" longer to accommodate my ape-long arms. I have an 8/4 black walnut plank I picked up at the wood store when shopping for something else. It has crazy wild grain at one end. I bought it because I really liked that grain. It would make a really nice gun stock- wouldn't need checkering, either.
If you get to thinking you’re a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else’s dog around.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Are things stuff? no one 8 520 September 7, 2023 at 10:04 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Stuff you have done (that most people haven' t) onlinebiker 54 4015 October 4, 2022 at 2:57 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  This is some cool stuff Tawna 12 1054 April 16, 2022 at 8:21 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Deer meat BrokenQuill92 15 970 February 19, 2020 at 6:37 am
Last Post: Smedders
  Depressed? write your stuff here WinterHold 14 1106 July 9, 2018 at 6:57 am
Last Post: Brian37
  The stuff you find on the side of the road... Socratic Meth Head 17 2220 June 3, 2016 at 8:21 am
Last Post: SteelCurtain
  [split] Warm Greetings - The Not Welcome-y Stuff BrianSoddingBoru4 74 7770 May 24, 2016 at 1:36 pm
Last Post: thesummerqueen
  The "We'll donate to charity if you buy our stuff" schtick Aroura 6 1366 November 26, 2015 at 8:21 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Stuff that's just darn cute! BrokenQuill92 15 2647 January 20, 2014 at 12:57 pm
Last Post: jots
  "Some stuff came up" DeistPaladin 22 5305 March 8, 2013 at 5:39 pm
Last Post: Autumnlicious