Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 10:16 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Call me out
Call me out
Call me out on anything I've said ever that was stupid incorrect or that you just didn't like and I'll either admit i was wrong and an idiot or try to explain what i meant.
Copy and paste whatever you want or even if it's just from your memory.

Are you ready for the fire? We are firemen. WE ARE FIREMEN! The heat doesn’t bother us. We live in the heat. We train in the heat. It tells us that we’re ready, we’re at home, we’re where we’re supposed to be. Flames don’t intimidate us. What do we do? We control the flame. We control them. We move the flames where we want to. And then we extinguish them.

Impersonation is treason.

RE: Call me out
How about here where TWO members (myself and EGross) both explained to you the limitations of translating so that if somebody tells you that, for instance, the Arabic is not as strictly literal as the English may appear, you are not qualified to provide a rebuttal. Yet like a pig-headed goose you persist with telling us what it says explicitly based on translations, and rejecting the opinions of people more qualified than you on Arabic!!!
For Religion & Health see:[/b][/size] Williams & Sternthal. (2007). Spirituality, religion and health: Evidence and research directions. Med. J. Aust., 186(10), S47-S50. -LINK

The WIN/Gallup End of Year Survey 2013 found the US was perceived to be the greatest threat to world peace by a huge margin, with 24% of respondents fearful of the US followed by: 8% for Pakistan, and 6% for China. This was followed by 5% each for: Afghanistan, Iran, Israel, North Korea. -LINK

"That's disgusting. There were clean athletes out there that have had their whole careers ruined by people like Lance Armstrong who just bended thoughts to fit their circumstances. He didn't look up cheating because he wanted to stop, he wanted to justify what he was doing and to keep that continuing on." - Nicole Cooke
(March 10, 2013 at 8:52 am)Aractus Wrote: How about here where TWO members (myself and EGross) both explained to you the limitations of translating so that if somebody tells you that, for instance, the Arabic is not as strictly literal as the English may appear, you are not qualified to provide a rebuttal. Yet like a pig-headed goose you persist with telling us what it says explicitly based on translations, and rejecting the opinions of people more qualified than you on Arabic!!!

Well basically i wasn't pig headed about it, I clearly said
Quote:Im also open to the fact that i might be wrong, but yes its the translations i showed you before
and
Quote:I dont understand classic arabic but if all that is true then why can i search the quran on the internet now and find at least 7 definitions that contradict what youre saying?

I can't say much clearer than this that i know I don't understand arabic and i could be wrong.

Also the thread originally wasn't based on an argument i had in an islamic forum between me and someone else about arabic, the person i was arguing with in question was trying to tell me the word days in ENGLISH doesn't always mean 24 hour time periods, to which i would say in the context of 6 days, it does mean six, 24 time periods, it could mean nothing else, as in the english language you COULD say "in the days of shakespear" but no one would say "in the six days of shakespear". You COULD say in the old days but not back in the 3 old days.

And also ontop of this I said another argument i put forth which also has nothing to do with arabic is that for centuries the 3 main religions taught and believed that the world was created in 6 days and it's only now that 2 of them have changed their minds, both saying days doesn't literally mean days which you don't need to know much about arabic to find suspicious.

(March 10, 2013 at 8:52 am)Aractus Wrote: How about here where TWO members (myself and EGross) both explained to you the limitations of translating so that if somebody tells you that, for instance, the Arabic is not as strictly literal as the English may appear, you are not qualified to provide a rebuttal. Yet like a pig-headed goose you persist with telling us what it says explicitly based on translations, and rejecting the opinions of people more qualified than you on Arabic!!!

Also the argument wasn't really involving me rejecting the opinions of people more qualified than myself, it was about me accepting at face value the opinions of people more qualified than myself

The Sahih International translation

Muhsin Khan

Pickthall

Yusuf Ali

Dr. Ghali

These five peoples opinions vs ThatMuslimGuy a teenager from england who only just converted to islam. And whoever else, I can't remember who else even posted on the thread at the time.

Plus a lot of the arguments had nothing to do with the translations but the concept of god creating a book in such a way that there would be trouble with the translations, I put forth arguments such as if the quran is protected by god would he not be peering over the shoulders of these people translating the quran and correcting them before they release incorrect information about gods creation onto the internet for millions of people to see.
And I've also said in other threads I am aware of idioms and how gods should probably stop using them in their holy books as it causes confusion.

Are you ready for the fire? We are firemen. WE ARE FIREMEN! The heat doesn’t bother us. We live in the heat. We train in the heat. It tells us that we’re ready, we’re at home, we’re where we’re supposed to be. Flames don’t intimidate us. What do we do? We control the flame. We control them. We move the flames where we want to. And then we extinguish them.

You don't have an avatar. Put up an avatar! It's not hard.
My ignore list

"The lord doesn't work in mysterious ways, but in ways that are indistinguishable from his nonexistence."
-- George Yorgo Veenhuyzen quoted by John W. Loftus in The End of Christianity (p. 103).
(March 10, 2013 at 9:51 am)teaearlgreyhot Wrote: You don't have an avatar. Put up an avatar! It's not hard.

Done and dusted

I have nothing to call one out. Are you following TGAC council? You know you shouldn't trust Germans Big Grin
(March 10, 2013 at 3:24 pm)LastPoet Wrote: I have nothing to call one out. Are you following TGAC council? You know you shouldn't trust Germans Big Grin

I don't know what TGAC council is, i just googled it and i still don't know what it is. I've never met a german, I don't trust scousers and gypsies though, just my own personal experiences with them haven't been pleasant.

TGAC = The Germans Are Coming he is a member here.

Paul, I like your point about translation. I too feel that if God had his hand in the creation of a book and it is the infallible word of God then the translation should be just as infallible, or at least, there should be a clear winner among translations.
If you want people to call you out, you should have selected that as your username.
My ignore list

"The lord doesn't work in mysterious ways, but in ways that are indistinguishable from his nonexistence."
-- George Yorgo Veenhuyzen quoted by John W. Loftus in The End of Christianity (p. 103).
(March 10, 2013 at 9:24 am)paulpablo Wrote:

[Image: tumblrlz0mi9ncvn1r6aoq4.gif]
For Religion & Health see:[/b][/size] Williams & Sternthal. (2007). Spirituality, religion and health: Evidence and research directions. Med. J. Aust., 186(10), S47-S50. -LINK

The WIN/Gallup End of Year Survey 2013 found the US was perceived to be the greatest threat to world peace by a huge margin, with 24% of respondents fearful of the US followed by: 8% for Pakistan, and 6% for China. This was followed by 5% each for: Afghanistan, Iran, Israel, North Korea. -LINK

"That's disgusting. There were clean athletes out there that have had their whole careers ruined by people like Lance Armstrong who just bended thoughts to fit their circumstances. He didn't look up cheating because he wanted to stop, he wanted to justify what he was doing and to keep that continuing on." - Nicole Cooke

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Your opportunity to call me a dumbass. Brian37 14 708 June 6, 2021 at 2:37 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  (Curious) Roll Call Foxaèr 8 644 October 10, 2019 at 4:43 pm
Last Post: Succubus
  What do you call THAT? onlinebiker 8 1004 August 29, 2019 at 7:50 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Official Better Call Saul thread Mudhammam 4 1165 January 28, 2015 at 3:01 pm
Last Post: Mudhammam
  Can I call ya? Phatt Matt s 65 8667 April 28, 2014 at 6:38 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
  Pranking Christian call show Napoléon 110 44811 September 18, 2013 at 4:18 pm
Last Post: Statler Waldorf
  Why call it an "atheist church"? Brian37 4 1496 March 9, 2013 at 2:05 am
Last Post: Waratah
  What do you call a bread crust based religion? xXUKAtheistForTheTruthXx 1 967 March 3, 2013 at 3:42 pm
Last Post: Something completely different
  Google's coup – a call to arms! Rokcet Scientist 24 6605 January 30, 2012 at 12:21 am
Last Post: Oldandeasilyconfused
  Call to revolution Anomalocaris 21 6149 June 6, 2011 at 4:54 pm
Last Post: Violet