Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 10:43 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Comets could have seeded life on Earth
Comets could have seeded life on Earth
http://newscenter.berkeley.edu/2013/03/0...-on-earth/

Quote:A new experiment simulating conditions in deep space reveals that the complex building blocks of life could have been created on icy interplanetary dust and then carried to Earth, jump-starting life.

Chemists from the University of California, Berkeley, and the University of Hawaii, Manoa, showed that conditions in space are capable of creating complex dipeptides – linked pairs of amino acids – that are essential building blocks shared by all living things. The discovery opens the door to the possibility that these molecules were brought to Earth aboard a comet or possibly meteorites, catalyzing the formation of proteins (polypeptides), enzymes and even more complex molecules, such as sugars, that are necessary for life.

A note to fundies and muslims... if you consider this an insult to your religion, GOOD. Grow the fuck up and get over yourselves.
RE: Comets could have seeded life on Earth
Proof?
Interesting read, but I couldn't provide a very good commentary on it. I've always had trouble understanding astronomy. Which is a disadvantage, because it doesn't allow me to interpet the news about those kind of things, and I just take their word for it.
ronedee Wrote:Science doesn't have a good explaination for water

[Image: YAAgdMk.gif]

http://iopscience.iop.org/0004-637X/765/2/111/

I suspect it is a bit more complicated than your fairy tales.
There is nothing fundamentally new here. The basic concept is chemistry for formation amino acids exists either in environment we can directly observe to exist, or can easily and convincingly deduce deduce to exist, which then can be connected to locations on earth where conditions can reasonably be deduced to have been stastitiscally favorable to assembly of such amino acids first into a self replicating formation, then into a package which can mor efficiently assemble the material and energy needed to further this replication.

The only major effect is to point out a part of abiogenesis process which is still not only still in operation and subject to direct observation, but also indisputably had always been in operation continously throughout earth's history.

Other parts of abiogenesis runs into the statistically issue of why is there no evidence of life arriving independently multiple times on earth, resulting in totally incompatible biochemistry and evolutionarily totally separate lineages of life. To this we have only a partial answer.

If they say actual living cells came here on comet dust, that would be different.
Crystals diddit... Undecided
(March 11, 2013 at 9:29 pm)catfish Wrote: Crystals diddit... Undecided

Much as that theory about crystals is rubbish compare to science, it still claims the insurmountable advantage over creationism - Crystals exists. You, on the other hand, are sucking enthusiastic a nonexistent cock.
lol! Like the existence of crystals proves anything... Undecided
Dream on queer-boy, I won't be part of your fantasy.

lol, hidden messages in AF.com?

I'm afraid to ask why, cinjin...
(March 11, 2013 at 9:38 pm)catfish Wrote: lol! Like the existence of crystals proves anything... Undecided

Queer-boy? Can you explain that bizarre remark? What fantasy???

In fact, what the HOLY FUCK are you even talking about?!?!
[Image: Evolution.png]

(March 11, 2013 at 9:38 pm)catfish Wrote: lol! Like the existence of crystals proves anything... Undecided

Nothing as it may prove, it stills proves more than your bible ever could.

As to queer, it is not me who dreams of being one with a hairy illiterate dead failed carpenter who are claimed to have no interest in natural attachment to women.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The absurdity of the idea that a complex lifeform could be designed?!?! Duty 24 1679 October 7, 2021 at 4:28 am
Last Post: slartibartfast
  Life eating other life. Brian37 42 2054 May 14, 2021 at 4:44 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  the age of the earth jasonelijah 88 4857 March 30, 2021 at 8:39 pm
Last Post: Bucky Ball
  quality of life or life for life's sake tackattack 37 2247 November 24, 2018 at 9:29 am
Last Post: Little lunch
  No official name for earth's moon Foxaèr 32 2022 March 4, 2018 at 7:42 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Glad I could clear this up for you . . . . vorlon13 3 924 July 6, 2017 at 12:53 pm
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  If this works it could be Huge. brewer 4 1123 April 24, 2017 at 12:44 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  How Life Began on Earth Rhondazvous 11 2762 January 12, 2016 at 5:31 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Do you think we could/will ever have two dominant[prime] species? Heat 11 3280 November 21, 2015 at 9:12 pm
Last Post: ignoramus
  Researchers may have solved origin-of-life conundrum TubbyTubby 6 2314 March 19, 2015 at 8:28 am
Last Post: Mr Greene