Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 6:36 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
No official name for earth's moon
No official name for earth's moon
I just realized other planet's moons have official names, but not ours. We simply call it the moon. Booring!

What should we call it, what would you call it?
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
RE: No official name for earth's moon
Phil.
Dying to live, living to die.
Well what about our own planet? We put a "the" in front of Earth which indicates it is not a proper name - as silly as that is.

Of course, this is English. We drive on a parkway and park on a driveway.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Albert Einstein
It's called the Moon, because you don't need names for things until you have more than one of them (this is why the native names of groups of human beings almost always mean something akin to 'people' or 'us').

I find 'the Moon' to be a perfectly acceptable definition of Earth's satellite.  However, if it must be given a more formal name, I suggest 'Ecne', after the Celtic god of knowledge and wisdom.  Pitifully few celestial bodies get their names from Irish myth.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
According to international astronomical union, the official name of the moon is “the moon”.  It is assumed that the significance of “the” without any other specifying name is clear. For example, the moon Io can not be confused with the moon.
poopball
Quote:To know yet to think that one does not know is best; Not to know yet to think that one knows will lead to difficulty.
- Lau Tzu

Join me on atheistforums Slack Cool Shades (pester tibs via pm if you need invite) Tongue

The lesser light.
Selene ??
The meek shall inherit the Earth, the rest of us will fly to the stars.

Never underestimate the power of very stupid people in large groups

Arguing with an engineer is like wrestling with a pig in mud ..... after a while you realise that the pig likes it!

I know you want to name it, but I don't think the moon deserves to be in the Life Sciences section. Like, it's not alive, you know Smile
Trevor

Are you ready for the fire? We are firemen. WE ARE FIREMEN! The heat doesn’t bother us. We live in the heat. We train in the heat. It tells us that we’re ready, we’re at home, we’re where we’re supposed to be. Flames don’t intimidate us. What do we do? We control the flame. We control them. We move the flames where we want to. And then we extinguish them.

Impersonation is treason.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  No more booze? What name would/do you go by? Duty 13 722 May 7, 2021 at 3:36 pm
Last Post: Duty
  the age of the earth jasonelijah 88 4863 March 30, 2021 at 8:39 pm
Last Post: Bucky Ball
  LOOK!>> -Consciousness After Death -official <<Clickbait! ignoramus 10 1841 October 19, 2017 at 10:02 am
Last Post: Brian37
  How Life Began on Earth Rhondazvous 11 2765 January 12, 2016 at 5:31 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Primordial earth much more hospitable to life than imagined. Anomalocaris 0 955 September 17, 2014 at 10:31 am
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  SO THE EVIL EVOLUTIONIST SCIENTIST FIRED MARK H. ARMITAGE FOR DISPROVING OLD EARTH Duke Guilmon 13 6710 July 28, 2014 at 10:09 pm
Last Post: Duke Guilmon
  The Earth must be older than 7000 years, then! pocaracas 5 2687 April 25, 2013 at 7:18 pm
Last Post: JesusHChrist
  Comets could have seeded life on Earth Minimalist 19 5944 March 13, 2013 at 2:33 am
Last Post: colossal123
  “Gill slits” by any other name… popeyespappy 0 1019 June 14, 2012 at 5:34 pm
Last Post: popeyespappy
Sad Official: Black Rhino declared extinct. Blam! 28 8299 November 14, 2011 at 3:27 pm
Last Post: Milky Tea