Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 5:53 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fate?
Fate?
1st: define Fate as to the best of your understanding.
Does it exist?

2nd: Free "Choice" (Free will doesn't seem reasonable)
Does this exist? How does it affect Fate if it exist?

Fate from my understanding: A Supernatural predetermined order of cause and effects set for Individuals that are lacking awareness, insight, and/or knowledge of such intervening forces.

Side note: Not sure on the supernatural part personally but this is my understanding of it so far.
If Fate is reasonable to conclude than by default no choice is "Free".

Is there Fate some times and Free choice others?
This has been on my mind quiet a lot lately.

Thanks y'all Smile
RE: Fate?
Fate/destiny exists and cannot be changed.

Free will is an illusion in regards to changing your fate/destiny.
(March 18, 2013 at 12:39 am)catfish Wrote: Fate/destiny exists and cannot be changed.

Free will is an illusion in regards to changing your fate/destiny.

Not very helpful cat. Looking for progressive insight on the assertions made not the assertion themselves.
No matter where you go, there you are...
(March 18, 2013 at 12:51 am)catfish Wrote: No matter where you go, there you are...

But did you choose to be there or was this chosen for you.....
It depends on your worlview.

Fate is ultimately where you end up, in life, in a job, in a relationship. I can't answer as to if it "was chosen"...

Free will to choose your actions doesn't change the fact that you will meet your fate eventually, so it's an illusion.
So the questions boil down to just how "free" are we?

Let me think about

Fate

Choice.

brb Big Grin
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
Fate? Death, yes. But the paths there are plenty.
Free choice? Nah, not really. We are the sum of our atoms, basically we are chemically coded to do and like what we do. And our cultural heritage has a lot to do with our preferences too. But as long as I can decide for myself if I want pear or strawberry yogurt today, I'm happy enough. That's free enough for me.
When I was young, there was a god with infinite power protecting me. Is there anyone else who felt that way? And was sure about it? but the first time I fell in love, I was thrown down - or maybe I broke free - and I bade farewell to God and became human. Now I don't have God's protection, and I walk on the ground without wings, but I don't regret this hardship. I want to live as a person. -Arina Tanemura

(March 18, 2013 at 11:58 am)Kayenneh Wrote: Fate? Death, yes. But the paths there are plenty.
Free choice? Nah, not really. We are the sum of our atoms, basically we are chemically coded to do and like what we do. And our cultural heritage has a lot to do with our preferences too. But as long as I can decide for myself if I want pear or strawberry yogurt today, I'm happy enough. That's free enough for me.

So you don`t see any reason to believe in fate? how would you define fate? as far as the chemical coded path would you consider that a form of natural fate? I know i`m sounding crazy but i haven`t seen much discussion on fate (free will, yes) but not so much fate. just curious really.
I do not subscribe to predetermination, if that's what you are asking. Unlike Nietzsche, I do think free will exists. If you're interested in what Nietzsche thinks, he says that basically in a situation where there is a choice, you would always make the same choice under the same set of circumstances, so you are not really choosing anything.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Fate and Free will Marsellus Wallace 15 3362 May 25, 2014 at 1:26 pm
Last Post: bennyboy
  Do you believe in "Fate"? Edwardo Piet 48 11085 October 12, 2010 at 5:12 pm
Last Post: theVOID