Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 4:29 pm

Poll: Do you believe in "Fate"?
This poll is closed.
Yes.
16.67%
4 16.67%
No.
83.33%
20 83.33%
Total 24 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do you believe in "Fate"?
RE: Do you believe in "Fate"?
(October 3, 2010 at 1:48 pm)EvidenceVsFaith Wrote: Do you believe in "Fate"?

No.
As a wise woman once said: "There is no fate but what we make."
If today you can take a thing like evolution and make it a crime to teach in the public schools, tomorrow you can make it a crime to teach it in the private schools and next year you can make it a crime to teach it to the hustings or in the church. At the next session you may ban books and the newspapers...
Ignorance and fanaticism are ever busy and need feeding. Always feeding and gloating for more. Today it is the public school teachers; tomorrow the private. The next day the preachers and the lecturers, the magazines, the books, the newspapers. After a while, Your Honor, it is the setting of man against man and creed against creed until with flying banners and beating drums we are marching backward to the glorious ages of the sixteenth centry when bigots lighted fagots to burn the men who dared to bring any intelligence and enlightenment and culture to the human mind. ~Clarence Darrow, at the Scopes Monkey Trial, 1925

Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first. ~Ronald Reagan
I was destined to vote no.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

No, I don't. Smile
Eeyore Wrote:Thanks for noticing.
No.
There's no "I don't know" option. Why's that?
(October 3, 2010 at 3:12 pm)Existentialist Wrote: There's no "I don't know" option. Why's that?

Evie has the terrible habit of leaving it out.
Damn you Evie!Angry

Anyway, my answer to the question: Feck no!

There's no plan or destiny. The future is ours to make whatever of. Whether we make something great out of it or fuck it up so badly that god would fall of his mighty chair in laughter, followed by head scratching as he wonders how his creation fucked up so badly.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence - Carl Sagan

Mankind's intelligence walks hand in hand with it's stupidity.

Being an atheist says nothing about your overall intelligence, it just means you don't believe in god. Atheists can be as bright as any scientist and as stupid as any creationist.

You never really know just how stupid someone is, until you've argued with them.
This is a question of belief not knowledge. Either you believe or you don't.
What if you don't know whether you believe it or not?
(October 3, 2010 at 4:10 pm)Existentialist Wrote: What if you don't know whether you believe it or not?

There must be something wrong with you. To me any question about belief can be answered a millisecond after it is asked even if it is only based on a random coin toss in your head. If you lack the basic ability to make that decision in that millisecond there is something wrong with you.

Rhizo

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Fate and Free will Marsellus Wallace 15 3328 May 25, 2014 at 1:26 pm
Last Post: bennyboy
  I believe in myself, therefore believe in God. Mystic 12 3575 August 23, 2013 at 4:55 pm
Last Post: MindForgedManacle
  Do you believe in cheating? dazzn 109 28460 June 5, 2013 at 11:30 pm
Last Post: Mystical
  Fate? justin 16 2262 March 22, 2013 at 12:19 pm
Last Post: justin
  Do you control what you believe? CapnAwesome 114 36740 January 12, 2013 at 8:15 pm
Last Post: jonb
  Do you believe in free will? Flobee 451 223839 April 19, 2012 at 11:17 am
Last Post: genkaus