Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 5:59 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
10 years after the Iraq war.
10 years after the Iraq war.
I have a opinion on this subject and a answere to the question if the Iraq war was a success or not.

But before I post it and then ask for yours, I would like to strech my tounge out into every American, British, Dutch, Australian and other faces and proclaim with a loud voice:

Germany stayed out of Iraq, due to it`s at the time great goverment, which had the foresight of seeing how inlegitemate the war was and what a catastrophy it would be.

Tongue

Ohhh well, I guess that says alot about my opinion on the Iraq war anyway.
Well, what about yours?
RE: 10 years after the Iraq war.
(March 18, 2013 at 8:21 am)The Germans are coming Wrote: I have a opinion on this subject and a answere to the question if the Iraq war was a success or not.

Worst American debacle since Vietnam. We learned nothing from that experience. Maybe we'll learn from this one.

If there was any justice on this world, the top members of the W Bush administration would be standing trial right now at an international court on charges of crimes of war, crimes of aggression and crimes against humanity. They lied us into this war and then incompetently mismanaged the reconstruction. Additionally, they lied other nations into this war so other soldiers from other nations also had to pay the ultimate price for their lies.

The Downside
- We took out our enemy's enemy (Al Qaida hated Saddam)
- We created the perfect playground for Al Qaida
- We squandered the opportunity to crush Al Qaida for the distraction that the war gave us from finishing the job in Afghanistan
- Thousands of our finest gave their lives to say nothing of the PTSD and severe injuries
- Not sure how many soldiers from other nations had to pay a similar price
- Hundreds of thousands of Iraqi civilians are dead
- Millions of Iraqis are displaced
- A trillion or so dollars are wasted (by the people in America now crying over deficits and demanding "austerity")
- Our international credibility is squandered at a time when we need it to fight Al Qaida
- Iraq is in ruins

The Plus Side
- Saddam is no longer in power (though we've yet to see what he'll be replaced with in the long term, best case scenario is a Shiite theocracy friendly to Iran, worst case scenario is a bloody civil war)

Quote:Germany stayed out of Iraq, due to it`s at the time great goverment, which had the foresight of seeing how inlegitemate the war was and what a catastrophy it would be.

Good for you guys. I imagine the thought process was something along the lines of "hmmmm, a pre-emptive war sold to the people with scare tactics over a trumped up threat the target nation supposedly represents? Nein, danke. We've been down that road before. It doesn't end well."
Atheist Forums Hall of Shame:
"The trinity can be equated to having your cake and eating it too."
...      -Lucent, trying to defend the Trinity concept
"(Yahweh's) actions are good because (Yahweh) is the ultimate standard of goodness. That’s not begging the question"
...       -Statler Waldorf, Christian apologist
Which Iraq war? The one by Bush or the one by Bush Jr? Big Grin
(March 18, 2013 at 9:21 am)LastPoet Wrote: Which Iraq war? The one by Bush or the one by Bush Jr? Big Grin

I think historians call it "The third gulf war".

The first gulf war being the Iran-Iraq war

The second gulf war being the 1990 war (which was justified and well carried out)

The third gulf war being the mess from 2003
(March 18, 2013 at 9:40 am)The Germans are coming Wrote: The second gulf war being the 1990 war (which was justified and well carried out)

Was it? Nothing like protecting oil interests with the guise of saving kuwait. I wonder if such thing would happen if it was just a barren wasteland... Kuwait was monopolized by US oil companies.
(March 18, 2013 at 9:52 am)LastPoet Wrote:
(March 18, 2013 at 9:40 am)The Germans are coming Wrote: The second gulf war being the 1990 war (which was justified and well carried out)

Was it? Nothing like protecting oil interests with the guise of saving kuwait. I wonder if such thing would happen if it was just a barren wasteland... Kuwait was monopolized by US oil companies.

Doesnt matter what you think of Kuwait and the Oil buisness, in international law - if a nation undermines a other nations sovereignty and invades it for absolutly no reason (no agression rom that nation, no decleration of war by that nation,...) then every other nation on the globe which is not neutral is obliged to eighter boycott or declare war against it.

So technicaly speaking - Germany and France were actualy obliged to declare war against the USA in 2003. Tongue
I don't and didn't agree with the war. But I must say, I'm surprised the country is holding it together as well as it currently is. Yes, there are major issues (infrastructure, security, etc.) but it hasn't completely dissolved into a boiling pot of pig shit. The ironic thing is, the country that most benefited from the Iraq war, is our new, arch-nemisis, Iran. Way to stabilize the Middle East, America!
(March 18, 2013 at 8:21 am)The Germans are coming Wrote: I have a opinion on this subject and a answere to the question if the Iraq war was a success or not.

My perspective is that it was successful from the viewpoint of those who fought in the war on America's side. The American soldiers who thought they were fighting to protect their country and the government who knew the sole reason for the war was for the resources available in Iraq.

Even knowing the war was illegitimate, even though I disagreed with the war basically from the beginning, it was still a success in what it sought to seek in the end. Sad, but true.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
(March 18, 2013 at 9:58 am)The Germans are coming Wrote: So technicaly speaking - Germany and France were actualy obliged to declare war against the USA in 2003. Tongue
(bold mine)

You have grown soft, France, Its all about the croissants. Big Grin
(March 18, 2013 at 10:09 am)Mr Infidel Wrote:

My perspective is that it was successful from the viewpoint of those who fought in the war on America's side. The American soldiers who thought they were fighting to protect their country and the government who knew the sole reason for the war was for the resources available in Iraq.

Even knowing the war was illegitimate, even though I disagreed with the war basically from the beginning, it was still a success in what it sought to seek in the end. Sad, but true.

Even in that case it was not a success, because the americans hardly got the majority of the oil drilling contracts.
The contract for the biggest oil fields actualy went to the national chinese petrolium company.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Sudan: The real cause behind the war WinterHold 4 493 June 14, 2023 at 6:42 pm
Last Post: brewer
Information The United States has not spent $ 300 million a day on war in Afghanistan. alextruesay 60 3203 August 26, 2021 at 3:35 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Trump declaring civil war, turning to global WW3 WinterHold 19 908 November 9, 2020 at 5:27 pm
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  BREAKING:Trump refuses to commit to a peaceful transition of power after Election Day WinterHold 97 5346 October 2, 2020 at 1:50 am
Last Post: WinterHold
  80 years.. WinterHold 45 1545 August 23, 2020 at 6:09 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  People do not know how close they really are until they start a war with somebody WinterHold 5 951 October 10, 2019 at 5:51 pm
  The proxies of today are the world war of tomorrow WinterHold 6 1104 April 29, 2019 at 1:19 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  War is nonsense and manipulation and there is no reason to fight? Interaktive 47 3304 March 31, 2019 at 9:41 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Nukes: post your imagined scenario of the next war WinterHold 46 3294 February 24, 2019 at 4:28 pm
  ISIS is the Sauds. The Sauds own ISIS. It's America's cold war gift. WinterHold 15 6494 February 5, 2019 at 4:14 am