Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 5:31 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Paleo-Diet Myth
Paleo-Diet Myth
It’s a part of my paleo fantasy, it’s a part of my paleo dream

Good breakdown, starting with the first paragraph.

Quote:There are many fallacies that undergird alternative medicine, which evolved into “complementary and alternative medicine” (CAM), and for which the preferred term among its advocates is now “integrative medicine,” meant to imply the “best of both worlds.” If I had to pick one fallacy that rules above all among proponents of CAM/IM, it would have to be either the naturalistic fallacy (i.e., that if it’s natural—whatever that means—it must be better) or the fallacy of antiquity (i.e., that if it’s really old, it must be better). Of course, the two fallacies are not unrelated. In the minds of CAM proponents, old is more likely to have been based on nature, and the naturalistic fallacy often correlates with the fallacy of antiquity. Basically, it’s a rejection of modernity, and from it flow the interest in herbalism, various religious practices rebranded as treatments (thousands of years ago, medicine was religion and religion was medicine—the two were more or less one and physicians were often priests as well), and the all-consuming fear of “toxins,” in which it is thought that the products of modernity are poisoning us.

I encourage you to click and read all the way through.
[Image: Untitled2_zpswaosccbr.png]
RE: Paleo-Diet Myth
5 billion thumbs up. I despise these people and this "movement". By all means, paleo tards, go back to your caves and scrounge for food. No one will miss you.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
I have lost respect for many a friend who I thought was an intelligent and skeptical individual who bought into this shit and stubbornly refused to budge on it. It's the most ridiculous crap I've ever heard regurgitated by otherwise rational people...except maybe otherwise intelligent theists.
No matter what we do, nature intends us to die of something. Smile
Badger Badger Badger Badger Where are the snake and mushroom smilies?
Nah, it just isn't interested in or capable of lifting a thumb to prevent it..hehe.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Meanwhile, modern science is actively trying to prevent it. Go figure.
You know, the first thing that should stand out to paleo types is that humanity didn't exactly flourish in those early years. One would imagine that this would be a huge warning light to people with functioning brains.....I mean, the whole "paleo" portion of our history is probably the most dramatic example of people trying (and often failing) to find ways to subvert and circumvent the narrow little band that nature and circumstance "placed" us in.
I pointed out to my father that early grains from paleolithic times are quite different from the grains we've evolved to be more easily eaten nowadays. That didn't register. Somehow the idea that we might have caused foods to evolve into something more palatable was inconceivable.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS4moGiRQuqWe19rTYO3p4...5QvdaTmSSA]

Apparently, our ancestors didn't enjoy that little black stick as thoroughly as we might imagine.
(March 19, 2013 at 11:36 am)Rhythm Wrote: You know, the first thing that should stand out to paleo types is that humanity didn't exactly flourish in those early years. One would imagine that this would be a huge warning light to people with functioning brains.....I mean, the whole "paleo" portion of our history is probably the most dramatic example of people trying (and often failing) to find ways to subvert and circumvent the narrow little band that nature and circumstance "placed" us in.

Oh, also, I think this observation is refuted in those people's minds by a healthy and wrongfully placed idea that the world would be better off with less people (therefore it's okay if humanity doesn't flourish). We have plenty of resources...we have selfish and greedy people who won't allocate them correctly.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Not watering plants during the summer day is a myth! Jehanne 21 2306 July 11, 2018 at 8:00 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  Climat Change is not a commie myth. Brian37 98 37308 June 8, 2013 at 2:53 am
Last Post: KichigaiNeko
  Variations in Hominid Diet Minimalist 2 1077 August 10, 2012 at 1:19 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  Eating Chocolate for Breakfast Is Good for Your Diet KichigaiNeko 10 3057 March 13, 2012 at 9:14 am
Last Post: KichigaiNeko