Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 1:49 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Leaving indoctrination behind
Leaving indoctrination behind
Well, I've 'not believed' for about two months or so, now. I was raised Christian for 17 years - the kind that's taught not to look/hear/listen to/at anything that may contradict christianity. Evolution was evilution and all that kind of stuff.

I'd say that I'm now an atheist - secular humanist, if you want specifics, but I can't help feeling that I miss what I used to have, every now and again.
I now understand why de-converted people turn back to their former religion - but I simply don't believe it's true, nor do I believe it's a morally correct system.

Does anyone have any advice for leaving this childhood indoctrination behind? It's becoming quite a heavy burden.
RE: Leaving indoctrination behind
Surround yourself with like-minded people. The mistake I committed was that I took to long in "coming out of the closet". I went for a year still pretending to be a Christian and carrying on with my week as a Christian i.e. going to church 4 times a week for Bible study, worship practice, youth group and Sunday morning church. As soon as I made it public that my beliefs had changed, I was able to be true to myself and live/act like a non-religious person with people other than Christians and I didn't feel guilty at all.
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it" ~ Aristotle
Welcome to the REAL world honey. Burden?? WHY?

You have left your childish things behind. Yes you will remember them with fondness, a time when you had NO responsibility whatsoever. You WILL revisit and stumble and fall and the best part is that you WILL get up again and carry on questioning EVERYTHING!! Especially your own prejudices.

This makes for a good individual. Congratulations my dear.... you got OUT!

Now, have a look around and what do you see? Check out orogenicman his pics are awe-inspiring as to just how big this out is and how beautiful.

You see the thing is, atheism isn't indoctrinated, it can't be. Liken to Zen, it is something that you just have to come to understand and use as a tool.
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
Start participating in other social activities, particularly if they align with an interest or hobby such as music, astronomy, chess, sport, etc.

I was young when I could no longer believe; however, I have known people going through the loss of community and established relationships that result from admission of his/her non-belief. There are 7 billion people alive and with today's technology it isn't difficult to make new friends with shared interests in order to build a much more satisfying fellowhip.
(March 22, 2013 at 10:18 am)FallentoReason Wrote: Surround yourself with like-minded people.

This. If you were active in a particular religion, you found many ways to reinforce what you believed. You studied the religion, you read the books, you listened to the sermons, you meditated on it all, you discussed it with others who believed the same. This creates and reinforces the subconscious belief system. That's the bad thing about our subconscious: it'll "believe" any stupid shit that winds up in there. Even when we consciously know better, the subconscious drags us down.

My de-conversion was really very mild, because I drifted away from my religion and slowly lost contact with others involved in it, and I never had that moment where it all just fell apart at once. Even so, for some time after I'd accepted that I was an atheist, I'd wonder "what if they were right?" or "what if there was something I was missing?" But that's the subconscious, clinging to the garbage that I'd spent decades stuffing into it. The fact that my 'new' beliefs were so easily able to replace such deeply embedded beliefs made it easier to realize that the latter was garbage.
"Well, evolution is a theory. It is also a fact. And facts and theories are different things, not rungs in a hierarchy of increasing certainty. Facts are the world's data. Theories are structures of ideas that explain and interpret facts. Facts don't go away when scientists debate rival theories to explain them. Einstein's theory of gravitation replaced Newton's in this century, but apples didn't suspend themselves in midair, pending the outcome. And humans evolved from ape- like ancestors whether they did so by Darwin's proposed mechanism or by some other yet to be discovered."

-Stephen Jay Gould
(March 22, 2013 at 10:14 am)Joel Wrote: I can't help feeling that I miss what I used to have, every now and again.
I now understand why de-converted people turn back to their former religion - but I simply don't believe it's true, nor do I believe it's a morally correct system.

I can't personally relate to this, but I'm sure it is the toughest part.

I'm not sure if the following applies to you, but this put it into perspective for me.

As Teresa McBain, a Pastor that has become an atheist put it over the loss of all her previous friends, parishioners, and some of her family (I'm paraphrasing), "it was almost as if all these people were killed at once in a plane crash. I have to grieve for the loss of so many people at the same time.".

You'd believe if you just opened your heart" is a terrible argument for religion. It's basically saying, "If you bias yourself enough, you can convince yourself that this is true." If religion were true, people wouldn't need faith to believe it -- it would be supported by good evidence.
(March 22, 2013 at 10:14 am)Joel Wrote: Does anyone have any advice for leaving this childhood indoctrination behind? It's becoming quite a heavy burden.
It's easy to get disillusioned. I've been there. I asked myself, can a reasonable man believe in Christ? I didn't find the answer, the Answer found me.
(March 23, 2013 at 12:44 am)ChadWooters Wrote:
(March 22, 2013 at 10:14 am)Joel Wrote: Does anyone have any advice for leaving this childhood indoctrination behind? It's becoming quite a heavy burden.
It's easy to get disillusioned. I've been there. I asked myself, can a reasonable man believe in Christ? I didn't find the answer, the Answer found me.

In looney Christendom, Answer finds YOU.
My ignore list

"The lord doesn't work in mysterious ways, but in ways that are indistinguishable from his nonexistence."
-- George Yorgo Veenhuyzen quoted by John W. Loftus in The End of Christianity (p. 103).
(March 23, 2013 at 12:44 am)ChadWooters Wrote:

I still can't get over the fact of how convenient "the truth" is! Forget about every other competing religion to have ever existed, because obviously the true god is the one of your culture! Obviously this isn't relative to the culture, because Islam is false and so is Hinduism, therefore the statement only applies to the Western World, who worship the true god. Clearly!
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it" ~ Aristotle
Quote:Does anyone have any advice for leaving this childhood indoctrination behind? It's becoming quite a heavy burden.

You used to believe in Santa Claus too. How heavy a burden was that to give up? Unlike jesus, at least Santa was supposed to bring you stuff.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Indoctrination Spongebob 140 6169 February 23, 2022 at 2:53 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Is there a plan behind religion? mikeslife 2 832 February 9, 2017 at 1:41 am
Last Post: bheath
  Closing statements before leaving again for semester. Mystic 31 3864 January 6, 2017 at 12:13 pm
Last Post: Astreja
  Disgusting Example of Indoctrination Socratic Meth Head 41 6578 April 10, 2016 at 8:47 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Leaving cards with one Bible verse and one Quran verse for people to discover? ReptilianPeon 7 2357 November 10, 2015 at 2:27 pm
Last Post: KevinM1
  Psychology behind debating? Or is it just fun to stir the pot once in a while? cosmowanderer 21 5854 September 21, 2015 at 7:51 am
Last Post: Shining_Finger
  Religious indoctrination of Nieces and Nephews: How to help? Free Thinker 11 2809 November 23, 2014 at 12:50 pm
Last Post: Nope
  Leaving Church, Living True, A Liberating Feeling LivingNumbers6.626 2 1642 April 21, 2014 at 3:14 am
Last Post: Aisha
  I'm not leaving until I convert someone. JesusLover1 226 32307 March 10, 2014 at 4:48 am
Last Post: Bob Kelso
  Child Indoctrination God Is Not Gr8 5 1582 February 22, 2014 at 5:15 pm
Last Post: *Deidre*